All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Thanks Maggie! I am SO glad you finally got this test new
      #369623 - 06/18/13 05:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and a helpful diagnosis. Why this test isn't given right off the bat to people who kinda sorta fit the IBS criteria remains a mystery. They're still not often tested for celiac, or fructose intolerance, or even inflammatory bowel diseases either. You have to insist and sometime also persist - like you!

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Thanks Maggie! I am SO glad you finally got this test new
      #369651 - 06/27/13 10:08 PM
Roxstar

Reged: 02/12/12

Sorry, what is this test and what exactly do I ask for I am so weary of this I would love to know what tests I need to ask for please. I am in Australia and my GP just wants me to stay forever on gastro stop (loperamide). Please tell me what the test is for and what to ask for and what is SIBO? Thank you.

Re: Thanks Maggie! I am SO glad you finally got this test new
      #369653 - 06/28/13 07:03 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

SIBO is small intestine bacteria overgrowth. It has not been confirmed that it is related to IBS. While some people with IBS are treated with an antibiotic for SIBO so far the evidence shows that only about 10-15% of individuals with IBS 'may' have SIBO. However, the antibiotics don't cure the problem they only reduce symptoms in some people for a while and then frequently they have to take another course of antibiotics. The FDA in the US won't approve the use of antibiotics for treating IBS last year. You might talk to your GP about SIBO. The test is a breath test but it is not conclusive.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 616 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 14702

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review