All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
losing weight while following IBS diet-can it be done?
      #367159 - 03/31/12 11:42 AM
berky

Reged: 06/26/03
Loc: New York state

HI- I am 52 and have gradually put on weight over the past few years. I've read books about losing weight that recommend cutting carbohydrates, but I depend on carbs to keep from having IBS attacks (diarreah type) Can weight loss be achieved following the IBS plan? I'm feeling quite frustrated, and have much less energy than I used to. Can you advise, Heather?

--------------------
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." ~ Groucho Marx

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: losing weight while following IBS diet-can it be done? new
      #367165 - 03/31/12 05:45 PM
Jhana

Reged: 03/19/12
Loc: PA, USA

Since I started this diet, I think I may have gained a few pounds myself. Hubby and I put together a small "gym" in our basement and I walk/run the treadmill every other day for 30 minutes and add in some sit ups until I feel the "pain"..LOL. Perhaps that should aid me in the gaining of more weight and keep me under control.

Yep - and there's a diet FAQ about this new
      #367175 - 04/02/12 12:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#make_me_fat

Do make sure you're exercising regularly - doesn't have to be a grueling workout but it is difficult to impossible to lose weight and keep it off without enough physical activity.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: losing weight while following IBS diet-can it be done? new
      #367188 - 04/03/12 11:57 AM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

All you need to lose weight is have less kcal in (eaten) than out (needed). While it may be easier (initially especially) to lose weight while cutting out carbs, at the end of the day it doesn't matter how you reduce your kcal intake.

I have only ever managed to lose weight through eating many-many times a day (8 times) small meals. You can eat protein like chicken breast and shrimp and fish safely and protein make you fuller longer. You have to keep the fat-intake low anyway, that saves kcal and by eating less carbs at once if you eat so regularly as I said above, I think it has a beneficial effect on your blood sugar levels. I have found that eating a lot of carbs at once will make you hungry much sooner than if you eat the same amount broken up into several meals. In general I certainly feel less hungry if I am to eat the allocated amount of kcal in many meals than if i do it in 3 meals. Has a good effect on your metabolism too perhaps.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 674 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2780

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review