All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
what caused this attack???
      #36655 - 01/11/04 01:14 PM
Su

Reged: 10/04/03
Loc: VA

Hi All, Today I am resting in bed w/the heating pad trying to make my stomach pains stop.It is getting better,but I am still feeling like I got beat up.
I am IBS-C.
The last 3 days I have felt tense,which causes my stomach muscles to tighten,which has made me feel irregular,like I can't go enough to feel finished. Last nt. we went out to dinner and I ate Oysters Rockefeller. An hour and 1/2 later evry bit of you know what was coming out,like I could hardly believe there could be room enough for all that(sorry don't mean to be gross). Now I just have the after effects of all the stomach pain,which keeps me home.I am trying to do only what does not make me feel tense.
I remember one time last yr. before I found out I had IBS,my husband and I made homemade oyster stew.I had bloating and a terrible stomach pain for 2 days.Since finding out about my IBS I figured it was the cream. Now I wonder if the oysters are also a problem. Does anyone else have trouble w/them or have an idea??? Thanks,Suzy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Doubt it's the oysters - the cream and butter alone would do it. -nt- new
      #36660 - 01/11/04 01:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Doubt it's the oysters - the cream and butter alone would do it. -nt- new
      #36665 - 01/11/04 01:48 PM
Su

Hi Heather, Thanks I agree as far as the stew,but what about the Rockefeller.It's just oysters steamed on top of spinach. I can usually eat lots of spinach and it doesn't affect my C.?????

#36667 - 01/11/04 02:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Hmmm...usually Oysters Rockefeller have cream, butter, and sometimes even cheese mixed into the spinach. Was this just bare oysters that were steamed, then laid on a bed of spinach? Or was the spinach in a creamy-looking sauce?

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: what caused this attack??? new
      #36671 - 01/11/04 02:22 PM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

Sorry you are feeling so miserable. Do you have problems with any other shellfish? I am allergic to all shellfish including salmon. Stomach pain and stomach sickness can be a sign of a food allergy or food intolerance. Just a thought. I hope you feel better.
Leah

#36705 - 01/11/04 06:43 PM
Su

They were on plain spinach,but I will call the restaurant tom. and ask if they add anything.I did ask when I was ordering but considering how sick I am I want to ask again

#36708 - 01/11/04 06:50 PM
Su

Hi Leah, No I have not had trouble w/fish before other than dishes w/cream. I am going to try to investigate about oysters to see if for some reason they have something that my system can't handle.Thanks+

#36724 - 01/11/04 10:04 PM
Chelsea22

Reged: 10/20/03
Loc: Virginia

Hi,

All I can share with you is that the 3 times my husband has eaten oysters, he gets sick just like you did. We happen to know the fisherman who provided the oysters on one of these occasions, and knew they were fresh. We all know that sometimes old seafood can come back to haunt you. It's common for some people to have allergic reactions to shellfish. In my husbands case, it's only oysters, not any others.

I would stay away from oysters if I were you. It can't be worth feeling this lousy right? I hope you feel much better soon.

Yep - when in doubt... new
      #36806 - 01/12/04 10:56 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Food allergies can develop at any time. And shellfish can be a source of food poisoning. So, if you have repeat bad experiences with oysters, and there's nothing else in them or on them that makes sense as a trigger....next time try the halibut instead.

- H

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1078 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1062

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review