All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Question about carb cutter phase 2 for Heather
      #36558 - 01/10/04 05:29 PM
till

Reged: 02/11/03

Hi
I'm not sure if you heard of pills that blocks alot of calories from starchy foods but I read about them and they are amazing! There are chewy squares too. Are they IBS safe? I know the shewy squares aren't but how about the pills that are called Carb Cutter Phase 2? These are the ingredients: Phase 2 starch neutralizer(phaseolus vulgaris) ( from white kidney bean extract)500mg Proprietary blend (gymnema syvestre leaf, fenugreek seed, gareinia cambogia fruit extract 50% hydroxycitric acid, vanadium ( as vanadyl sulfate) 50mg
dicalcium phosphate, microcrystalline cellulose, croscarmellose sodium, stearic acid, magnesium stearate, silica and pharmaceutical glaze.

I sure hope I can take them since the carbs are ruining my body.
Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Question about carb cutter phase 2 for Heather new
      #36601 - 01/11/04 02:23 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

I don't know about all those ingredients, but they don't sound at all safe to me - IBS or not!

'You are what you eat' - think about food this way rather than 'I can eat any old junk as long as I take this little pill to block it's action'. All I can say is YUK YUK YUK. I assume you don't know what any of those ingredients are/do either?

Basically, you're talking about a starch-blocker diet. Scientific analysis on these diets has found NO evidence of any effect on carbo metabolism. They also contain lectins which are not good for you. This type of diet does NOTHING to retrain you into finding a good, healthy diet which suits your body and works for you. In fact, the only thing you will notice is GAS, GAS, GAS (even if you don't have IBS)!!

Why do you think that these CARBS are ruining your body. This is a total myth. But it's hard to say more on this without knowing (HONESTLY!!) what you are eating. I used to think that carbs were my problem because I was a little overweight (NO exercise, though!!) and I ate a lot of them. Turns out it was all the fat (not to mention sugar) you eat with those carbs that you don't even think about. Milk with cereal, butter/spreads on bread, mayo on sandwiches, etc etc.

Think about this - you need to adopt a much healthier attitude toward food.

#36608 - 01/11/04 06:04 AM
kshsmom

Reged: 11/20/03

I feel like saying Amen. Great job explaining it! I also tried cutting carbs --- carbs are not the evil guys. I wasn't just a few pounds overweight -- I was a lot overweight. When I heard about the iBS diet -- it went against what so many were saying... but when I tried it the weight just started falling off -- effortlessly. I didn't even start working out until a month ago. Even that was easier because I had more energy. I was losing 2-3 pounds a week in the beginning -- now I am a little closer to goal - plus I am working out and gaining more muscle - which weighs more than fat -- so I only lose about 1 pound a week... but I have gone from a size 18/20 - to a size 12/14. Carbs aren't evil and they don't make you fat. It's what you put on them -- or if you eat enough portions for your whole family.

#36610 - 01/11/04 06:08 AM
Shellsbells

Reged: 12/16/03
Loc: NW England, UK

Wow, that's fantastic - good for you!!
Shellsbells

They sound both scary and ineffective. I wouldn't take them. -nt- new
      #36663 - 01/11/04 01:26 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#36702 - 01/11/04 06:36 PM
till

I didn't know they could cause gas! I already have extremely severe gas! Carbs are ruining my bod since I have to eat carbs. Having a diet high in carbs make people fat. I work out a lot and eat small portions and I am very careful about the carbs I eat. There is not a big selection of food sold here that is IBS safe. It would be different is vegan meats were sold here that has no salt since the only kind here has tons of salt. It would be way easier to lose weight with vegan meats high in soy protein. I use to be able to eat them. Now there's hardly anything I can eat so I don't have much choice.

Re: They sound both scary and ineffective. I wouldn't take them. -nt- new
      #36704 - 01/11/04 06:40 PM
till

I actually read how people lost a lot of weight by taking them. And of course I'm jealous. I'm not going to take them though since they could cause severe gas and who knows what else . I really don't want anymore illnesses since I already have so many severe ones.
Thanks.

#36706 - 01/11/04 06:45 PM
till

Congrads! Actually carbs are evil for me. I eat small portions work out over and over too. I'm very careful about what I eat. When I wasn't on the IBS diet I ate lots of fruits, veggies, soy protien vegan meats and it helped so much to maintain a healthy weight. So many people are on low carb diets because carbs put on weight. Of course those people do not have severe IBS. Lucky!

Carbs ARE NOT EVIL TO ANYONE new
      #36716 - 01/11/04 07:55 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

There was a recent medical study that compared three major diets against each other, including Atkins (low carbs). The other two were, if I recall correctly, Weight Watchers, and the Zone. All three of the diets were EQUALLY SUCCESSFUL even though Weight Watchers says nothing about limiting carbs. The only important thing in weight loss is cutting calories and upping exercise. The rest of it is all popular fad.

Here is a link to an article on the study: http://www.doctorinfoline.com/News/ArchiveNewsDetail.asp?Id=5801&LMonth=12&LYear=2003

Thanks for this. new
      #36802 - 01/12/04 10:37 AM
HeatherAdministrator

I believe the WW diet has a much better track record in terms of long-term weight loss results (i.e. "keeping it off"). And of course it's much, much healthier in terms of preventing (as opposed to encouraging) heart disease, colon cancer, osteoporosis, etc.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Carbs ARE NOT EVIL TO ANYONE new
      #36821 - 01/12/04 12:43 PM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

I so agree with you. I found during PMS it seems my blood sugar must drop or blood pressure drop. I read Dr. Phil's website about raging hormones during PMS and it stated there if anybody deals with light headness make sure to eat carbs every two hours. I tried it this month and didn't have any dizzy spells.

I get tired of reading about all the hype about carbs being bad.

#144634 - 01/30/05 08:44 PM
little bear

Reged: 12/22/04
Loc: chicago

are you gaining weight from eating so much breads too? bc i am--i can see it and im hating it. i never thought to think about anything in food except for fiber! and now its calories..fat calories..fat percent...im not even too sure what a good carb amount is. do you?? whats considered a high amount?? im a vegan and while im being careful about my food choices..i feel im abusing my food choices too. like eating vegan pizza w/soy cheese~~thinking its okay bc the cheese is from soy..but theres still fat, you know? *sigh* ithought i had this figured out but somethings always dragging me back.

--------------------
VEGAN ASHLEY~IBS/C

www.myspace.com/dutchflowers

#144706 - 01/31/05 06:53 AM
retrograde

Reged: 04/15/04

Honestly I don't know how you expect to be vegan and eat low carb. By its nature a vegan diet is low fat and fairly low protein, and very healthy. Which you might notice is all the complete OPPOSITE of a low carb diet. You cannot cut fat and protein and carbs or you will be cutting everything.

The only way to lose weight is not to cut a single group of foods but to CUT CALORIES. The main benefits of a low carb diet studies have now shown is 'the fullness factor' - all those unhealthy foods on the low carb diets like butter and red meat fill you up a lot more which means you're not reaching for more food in an hour - and hey! Look you're cutting calories. But you can do this with a little will power, healthy food choices and by paying attention to what you eat... all without growing yourself a happy case of heart disease and diabetes (and colon cancer and osteoperosis.... ahem.)

I don't mean to be rude folks, but all this stuff about carbs making you fat is such garbage. It makes me sick.

carbs turn to sugar...sugar turns to fat...not garbage...fact. nt new
      #144718 - 01/31/05 07:05 AM
XXXXX

Reged: 11/23/04
Loc: South East Texas

Yes, garbage. TOO MUCH carbs = fat, not carbs in themselves - nt new
      #144782 - 01/31/05 08:46 AM
Linz

Reged: 09/01/03
Loc: England

#144804 - 01/31/05 09:05 AM
daliatree

Reged: 07/10/04
Loc: Manhattan, New York

wow...I just found this post...these things sound very scary....you have no idea what these extracts might do to your body...having IBS your gut is extremley sensitive and you should only feed it things it was designed to digest and recognise (one of the reasons artificial sweeteners are so awful)..do you exercise regularly? what kinds of carbs do you eat?

--------------------
Feel the fear and do it anyway!

#144913 - 01/31/05 01:11 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I have to disagree with you somewhat there. I have been eating a very healthy (fruits, veggies, proteins, grains and fats) for a long time. Going on this diet, even though I have cut my fat and calories is causing me rapid weight gain b/c it's nothing but carbs/sugars. For some of us, that does make us fat if your body isn't used to it.

Please read the sticky post at the top of this board about carbs. -nt- new
      #144964 - 01/31/05 03:13 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

I second Linz - that whole carbs=sugar is total garbage. - nt- new
      #144967 - 01/31/05 03:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

#145077 - 01/31/05 06:56 PM
retrograde

Hi! Just wanted to get something straight:

(Scary health issues aside) you CAN lose weight on a low carb diet (fullness factor etc.) and yes some people DO benefit from it (in the short term!)...BUT...

Carbs DO NOT MAKE YOU FAT... because you CAN ALSO lose weight on a HIGH CARB DIET. And as a person with IBS, the thought of a low carb (read: low fiber) diet just scares the hell out of me.

Just wanted to clear that up!

Vegan diet new
      #145294 - 02/01/05 01:06 PM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Hi retrograde!

What do vegans eat? If you don't mind my asking?

Thanks!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#145302 - 02/01/05 01:32 PM
Snow for Sarala

((till))

what an interesting post!

I find that sugar is the BIGGEST culprit when it comes to weight gain (along with it's good friend fat)

When you eat carbs...do you include sugar in that category? I don't just mean the white stuff...ANY old sweetner will do. Rice syrup, whatever. Any sweet thing can trick your bod into thinking it's getting sugar (I can't even have Stevia anymore!) My blood sugar is TOTALY out of whack...and the sweet stuff make me gain like crazy. Just something to think about.

Anyhow...looks like you got tons of replies! Lots of great info. from everyone. Hope you decide what's best for you, good luck!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

Re: Vegan diet new
      #145384 - 02/01/05 04:32 PM
retrograde

Hey Ruchie!

Vegans are like ultra-vegetarians in that they don't eat any animal products at all. So no meat, plus no dairy and no eggs. Some don't eat honey either because it comes from bees!

I'm not a vegan, though while I was vegetarian for a while, and since I already don't have dairy the only thing keeping from being a vegan was the occassional egg white!

Cheers, Laurel.

#145389 - 02/01/05 04:39 PM
Snow for Sarala

Thanks Laurel!

Btw, what does your name mean? It's beautiful!

If you eat fish, are you considered a vegetarian by some standards? I've heard people that eat fish refer to themselves as vegeterarians?!

I was a veget. for 5 years when I was in high school/college. I was much healthier then! I'm not giving up fish or egg whites...but the rest I can do without.

Anyhow, thanks for the info! P.S. Do you find it healthy? What do you do for protien (I'm trying to lose wieght at the moment)? In addition to beans and soy, what do you recommend?

Thanks again!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#145400 - 02/01/05 05:12 PM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

Hey Ruchie-

There are people who eat fish and call themselves vegetarians, sometimes they call themselves pescetarians to denote the difference. However, within the vegetarian community people who eat fish or chicken and call themselves vegetarians are strongly frowned upon. For one thing, it confuses the general population as to what actual vegetarians eat or not eat- I hate it when I go to a restaurant and ask what the vegetarian options are and they offer me fish!

I have no problem with people who eat only fish, there are certain health benefits and maybe they feel differently than I do on the morality of it- I just don't understand why they feel they need to label themselves something they're not.

So there's my go at an explanation!

#145411 - 02/01/05 05:57 PM
retrograde

Good answer chinagrl. Yep, some people call themselves vegetarians and eat fish but I don't know... I don't consider myself vegetarian/vegan/whatever any more as I do eat a fair amount of fish, and egg whites (plus I indluge in the occassional chicken breast, and turkey at thanksgiving!)

Still I do find it (especially when I was more strict with it) MUCH healthier and would love to get back ot it. Protein is not really as big an issue as most people think with the vegetarian diet either. With legumes (yes I do eat lots of beans and soy), vegetables and grains (especially if you can handle some whole grains, like oatmeal or brown rice, depending on your ibs of course, as these are higher in protein) you can *easily* get all the protein you need. And if you're trying to lose weight you don't want to be pounding on the protein anyway, right?

I say go for the diet you feel healthiest on and don't worry about labels. Eat fish and egg white but cut back on other things like meat and poulty, watch your ibs etc... whatever works for you. And if someone asks 'what you are', well if they want to stay and listen then you can explain it to them! LOL!

Cheers, Laurel.

PS 'Retrograde' is just something that's inverted or reversed; I actually got the term from astronomy, where it refers to a planet moving in the opposite orbital/axial direction of other planets around it... Oh wait, did you mean Laurel? lol... I'm not quite sure what that means. I believe it's a plant, I know they used it as victory crowns in ancient Greece...

ChinaGirl and Retrograde new
      #145491 - 02/01/05 08:00 PM
Snow for Sarala

I agree totaly! I never understood it either.

I don't know how vegans do it! I was vegetarian...but without dairy (at the time) and eggs I don't think I could've done it. Esp. cause my parents thought I was crazy enough to begin with and finally talked me back into eating meat again *sigh*

Anyhow...at this point I just want to be healthy and give my bod what it needs to succeed Chicken is for sure out. Red meat is going too. Dairy's already gone. Now it's just turkey (we'll see how it does) and fish left!

I would NOT call myself a vegetarian though...unless I gave up the fish and turkey. I always looked at it as nothing with a face.

Anyhow...that's my sotry and I'm stickin to it

Thanks for all the help!

*hugs*

P.S. Thanks for the explanation of your name"s" Laurel I think it's cool you chose such a scientific name for your SN and I think Laurel is just beautiful (not that you chose that one I'm guessing) And thanks for the advice on just doing what's healthy for me and not worrying about a label. And I like that line about having them wait around for me to explain my "unlabeled" diet LOL

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

No problem Ruchie! Glad I can be of some help! -nt- new
      #145502 - 02/01/05 08:53 PM
retrograde

#223334 - 11/05/05 03:01 PM
Gold

Reged: 10/19/05
Loc: London

Kshsmon
I feel im in the same situation as you were when you first started turning to carbs (b4 this i hadnt eaten white pasta bread or rice for yeaers!_ and since I have a put on a couple of pounds and am starting to panic that my IBS wil get better but my weight gain will get worst. Did you have to cut down ALOT on portion size when you started to lose the weight and did you have to excercise like crazy? If you have the time letting me know how much working out you did and the sort of things you ate on a daily basis would be a massive help!!
Thx

#223347 - 11/05/05 05:48 PM
Wind

Reged: 04/02/05

It is also important to note that CARBS are higher in water than protein, therefore one must keep in mind the weight of water.

Carbs/SF attract fluid to the colon and actually help you retain fluid. (I suspect that's why they are so filling for so few calories.)

So, I wouldn't worry too much about a few pounds.

Kate, IBS-D.

Your health is more important than gaining weight. Period. -nt- new
      #223351 - 11/05/05 08:52 PM
atomic rose

Reged: 06/01/04
Loc: Maine (IBS-A stable since July '05!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2262 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 18098

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review