Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Colonoscopy after-effects
      #365121 - 06/13/11 09:22 AM
CharlotteMiranda

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Berlin, Germany

Hello,
I am supposed to be having a colonoscopy on Friday, having has blood, stool and allergy tests for which the results cams back negative. After 8 years with IBS, this is the first time that I will have had the procedure done. I am quite worried about what the after effects in my IBS will be - could it make the symptoms worse? I am particularly concerned because the preparation involves "emptying yourself out" as it were, so that my stomach will be completely empty. I find that one of the worst things I can do for my IBS is to let my stomach get empty and then eat something - I always have a bad reaction. Add this to the general unpleasantness of the procedure, and I am wondering whether to go through with it at all. I know that strictly speaking you should not be diagnosed with IBS until everything else has been categorically ruled out, but since I am relatively young (26), have had more or less unchanging symptoms for the last 8 years (not severe but very persistent), and don't have any of the "red flag" symptoms that indicate a more serious condition (e.g. blood in stool), I find it highly unlikely that this test is going to reveal any organic problems. If anybody has any thoughts on a) after effects of a colonoscopy and b) the necessity of the procedure, I would be extremely grateful!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Colonoscopy after-effects new
      #365122 - 06/13/11 09:43 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here are two post you may find helpful
Colonoscopy Prep
The Colonoscopy Prep Made Simple

Most of us have had a colonscopy. I have had it a couple of times with no problems afterwards. It is worth while knowing if there are any other problems in the colon. It is in Heather's What Tests Does a Diagnosis of Spastic Colon Require? list.

Tell us how it goes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Colonoscopy after-effects new
      #365125 - 06/13/11 10:16 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

I know a couple of IBSers that actually felt better for several weeks after their colonoscopy. They suspect that the thorough cleansing gave them a little "reboot" of their systems, at least temporarily.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

If you go through with it, check here new
      #365129 - 06/13/11 03:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=IBD&Number=20349&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=1

for prep info that's really helpful.

Make sure the GI doc who does this knows that you have IBS, and guarantees that you will be fully unconscious throughout the entire procedure.

After you wake up, follow the breaking the cycle diet here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#break_cycle to get your gut back up to speed calmly.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1255 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2385

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review