All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Braving into a Coffee free world
      #364941 - 05/30/11 12:00 PM
Islandsguy123

Reged: 03/02/11
Loc: Savannah,GA

I should have quit the coffee a long time ago, but I have been very addicted. I'm starting today, switching to tea first to see how I react for a few weeks.

I used to have cramps and issues right after drinking coffee, but now my problems are at night time. Could it be possible that coffee can irritate the stomach and cause gas/bloating during the night even though I only have coffee in the morning)?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Braving into a Coffee free world new
      #364949 - 05/31/11 12:30 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Yes, that's possible...it may also just be that your gut is adapting to a change after it's been used to caffeine for so long.

Try green tea...tends to be high caffeine but low tannic acid, and much easier on you than coffee. That will keep you from getting the caffeine withdrawal headaches.

After a week or two start alternating the regular green tea with caffeine free, and gradually reduce the caffeinated version until you don't need it anymore.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#364950 - 05/31/11 04:24 PM
Islandsguy123

I didn't drink coffee for most of my life until college, so I can live without it I think.

Thanks for the advice!

Re: Caffeine free now new
      #365124 - 06/13/11 10:10 AM
Islandsguy123

Hi Heather,

Update on how it's going. I'm completely off caffeine and sleeping better. Still having some gas upsets though, not as bad.

My old diet consisted of: beer, caffeine, spicy foods, and red meat. Could that have caused inflammation in my tummy? I'm hoping that by avoiding these foods and eating smaller meals could make it better. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Re: Caffeine free now new
      #365126 - 06/13/11 11:58 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Congrats!!!

Well, your old diet was probably not doing you any favors.

Not sure you could properly say this would have caused inflammation in the bowel, but it surely could have caused all kinds of motility upsets.

You should definitely be feeling better.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#367677 - 06/24/12 11:58 AM
Islandsguy123

I tried to get off of coffee a few times and couldn't stay off. I can't be in denial any longer about the effects it's doing to my stomach. Time to stop the tummy problem and heal!

I tried Teecino and it doesn't do much for me. I'm just going to have to find ways to not give in to coffee. I literally gave my coffee maker to Goodwill today.

Does anyone have suggestions on how to suppress my cravings. It's like crack first thing in the morning!!!

#367680 - 06/25/12 07:55 AM
vettech

Reged: 06/08/08
Loc: ME

You might try green or white tea during the "weaning" period. The caffeine is less than that in coffee or black tea, but it may be enough to ward off some of the withdrawal.

--------------------
IBS-A and GERD since 1983
Low FODMAP since 2012

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1545 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4007

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review