All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Pushing Through the Increase in SF
      #364504 - 04/28/11 08:25 AM
melib

Reged: 03/28/11

Since everyone was so helpful with my last question, I thought I'd ask another. I must say that reading everyone's posts every morning makes me feel comforted and less lonely, as we all know how lonely this process is. Thank you.

I've been increasing Heather's Acacia Fiber verrrrryyy slowly as directed, but I still have horrific gas (worse than I had before). I mostly have IBS-C so I know it will probably take awhile and I'm prepared to stick with it. I was just curious if I should push through it thinking my body will adjust to it (or it will work and the gas will subside as a result) or if I'm doing my body a disservice and should go about it in a different way? The C (and alternating D) is unbearable and now so is the gas. As you can imagine, it makes it close to impossible to be around people.

Thanks everyone! Here's to another day of positivity! We're all in this together.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Shouldn't have to push... new
      #364506 - 04/28/11 09:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

you don't want to force your body to do anything with IBS.

Drop your dose further, or stop for a while and see if something else is going on. You should be able to start the Tummy Fiber slowly, and increase gradually, without getting gas or bloating.

You don't want to try and force your body to adapt to something, as it might fight back.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Pushing Through the Increase in SF new
      #364511 - 04/28/11 12:17 PM
SarahMc

Reged: 04/20/11

When I first went on the Tummy Fiber I also had some extra bloating and pain. However, I decided just to stick with it and see if my body would adjust. It did, and now I'm better than ever!

Because it sounds like you're getting more severe gas than I did, though, I would suggest backing off a little. Then maybe you can start again once your colon calms down.

--------------------
Sarah, IBS-alternating

“I can do everything through him who gives me strength.” ~ Philippians 4:13

Re: Shouldn't have to push... new
      #364535 - 04/29/11 03:01 PM
melib

Reged: 03/28/11

Thanks so much, Heather. I really appreciate that information and think I should back off. The gas/bloating has never been this bad. Where should I go from here do you think? Still do the diet but not the fiber? Seek other remedies for constipation along the lines of Chinese medicine/acupuncture?

Thanks so much for all you do.

#364560 - 04/30/11 05:39 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

hi there- have you ever tried triphala? it has been used in india for a very long time. it's a combination of three fruits...anyway. i will give you some links, if you want to check it out. it is one of the most commonly prescribed herbals in ayurvedic medicine. i am IBS-A but mostly with a constipation and gas problem, and this stuff has been AMAZING. i have only been taking it for a week and i am not kidding, i have not had ANY constipation/bloating for a WEEK. it's worth looking into. anyways, just thought i would put that out there. here are a couple links to read up on it if interested:

http://www.healthline.com/galecontent/triphala
http://www.nutrasanus.com/triphala.html

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Re: Shouldn't have to push... new
      #364600 - 05/03/11 01:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - I'd keep the diet the same and back off the fiber supplement. See how you do (it's always best to change one thing at a time so you know what's going on).

Check the constipation frustrations here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/060705.html#askheather

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#364607 - 05/03/11 02:38 PM
mavera

Reged: 12/28/10
Loc: The Netherlands

I've tried benefiber (w/o inuline) and metamucil. Especially benefiber I've tried to increase reallllly slowly.
But both only made my constipation (much) worse. Also did no good for my other symptoms. I have (PI)IBS-A/predominant C

I stopped taking the supplements for 1,5 month now and only ate according to the diet (dieting for 5 months now).
Pretty strikt and also no sugar and very few fructose...

The diet defenitely makes my symptoms much milder (nausea+very bad gastric pain).
Since 1 month my constipation is getting better it seems..! I have been able to decrease my laxatives (macrogol) and for 2 days now, even w/o it..!!

I'm not sure it's totally from dieting. Perhaps the hypnotherapy is starting to work too...?

--------------------
PI-IBS-C/A nausea & very bad gastric pain
meds: lansoprazol+macrogol
started EFI +FODMAPs 1/2011. 'Relapse' for 8 months. Now partly back on track again with the diet..

#365108 - 06/10/11 12:46 PM
Donna49

Reged: 06/09/11

Hi I just game across your post. Are you still using this and where can I get it?

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 799 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3857

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review