All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
100% IBS Diet for 6 Months - Still having Bad Days Frequently
      #364471 - 04/26/11 02:50 PM
Jang65

Reged: 01/13/11

I have been 100% faithful to the IBS diet since November 2010 when I was hospitalized and diagnosed with IBS-Constipation. I am working with a gastro doctor who has sanctioned Heather's books and recipes as the best there is. I am continuously losing more weight and can't leave the house for more than an hour. My son has found a website that advertises a very expensive "cure" for any digestion problem, including IBS. He wants to buy it for me and have me try it. Any suggestions on how I tell him there is no "cure" for IBS. He's watching me fade away and is scared. I'm 65 years old.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: 100% IBS Diet for 6 Months - Still having Bad Days Frequently new
      #364474 - 04/26/11 04:11 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Welcome to the board

You could direct him to the International Foundation for Functional Gastrointestinal Disorders' About IBS web site. In the first paragraph it says "There's no single treatment or cure". You might also invite him to view many of the excellent video interviews with IBS experts

Say - have you discussed using the FODMAP approach along with Heather's diet with your GI doc? There is a brief introduction to it in the first link in my signature. The second link is to an article written for physicians which you might give to your doctor. It has been very useful for me.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364476 - 04/26/11 06:04 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Welcome to the board, and I'm so sorry for all that you have gone through.

Are you taking a soluble fiber supplement for the constipation?

Have you looked into gut directed hypnotherapy? There is a ton of info starting here http://www.helpforibs.com/hypnosis/

Hypnotherapy has a wonderful track record, even for people who feel like they are using it as a last resort, people who are housebound with IBS, people who have tried everything else and are still sick.

Please let us know how things go.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#364477 - 04/26/11 06:05 PM
Jang65

Thank you so much for directing me to the FODMAP website. That is very useful information. Because of Heather's books, I no longer eat any dairy, meat, egg yolks, or caffeine, and I always eat the insoluable fiber, such as the leafy greens, after I eat the soluabe fiber, but the ideas expressed on the website could be very useful for me. Some of the foods they discussed would be easily eliminated from my diet, and might help me. Great feedback!

#364478 - 04/26/11 06:18 PM
Jang65

Heather, thank you so much for your response. I will certainly look into the hypnotherapy. My gastro doc has me on a Miralax dose every day and Bentyl 30 minutes before meals and at bedtime. My diet has been very strict and disciplined. I never eat in restaurants and cannot leave the house longer than an hour at a time. I retired from my job because of so much absenteeism. I've felt better since I have had the time to cook and bake for myself correctly. I have noticed my attacks are associated with stressful situations very often because I stop eating. I am 20 lbs underweight. Doc is not yet alarmed by my weight loss, but soon will be I'm sure. By the way, he gives your books to his IBS patients.

#364490 - 04/27/11 01:51 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hello and welcome!

I have been in a similar place - I did the diet as well, and at one point, was eliminating almost everything. As Heather suggests, I did the IBS Audio Program, and that was my way forward - and you can still continue to take any meds, etc. while doing the program if you wish. It certainly is worth a try and there are no side effects. you can read my journey below - and the stories of others who have been helped... If you have any questions, let us know - always happy to help... All the best to you.

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Who's your doc? -nt- new
      #364492 - 04/27/11 04:54 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Who's your doc? -nt- new
      #364493 - 04/27/11 07:51 PM
Jang65

My doctor is Albert Mason with South Hills Gastroenterology in Henderson, NV

#364494 - 04/27/11 07:53 PM
Jang65

Thank you Marilyn. I most definitely will try the program. I truly appreciate your response and support.

#364522 - 04/28/11 08:50 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

I too was very sick last year until I started following Heather's diet and suggestions. It took me a year to get things under control. I am still learning. Someone on the message board had suggested a probiotic. I am now taking VSL #3 probiotic and it helps me tremendously. It is specifically for IBS and ulcerative colitis, has to be refrigerated and it's kind of expensive, but well worth it. I buy mine at Costco - costs $48.00 a month.

#364530 - 04/29/11 01:45 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Is that probiotic good for ibs-d? I need to start taking one but there are so many out there and I have been hearing alot of this specific one.

#364532 - 04/29/11 01:52 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

I was told and it says it right on the bottle that it is good for IBS and ulcerative colitis. Wish I knew when my brother was alive (who had ulcerative colitis) about this - could have recommended it to him. I noticed a difference once when I missed taking it for a couple of days.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 186 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6401

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review