All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Caffeine substitutes?
      #364325 - 04/15/11 04:50 PM
Blowfish

Reged: 04/15/11

I recently discovered gold in the form of Heather's IBS books. Literally life changing! I can't thank her enough for what her diet has done for me.
I used to be a very heavy coffee drinker and now that I have given it up for a week, I am still feeling tired at times. Is there a "safe" substitute for caffeine? I have ginseng tablets but I'm afraid to take them because I don't want to ruin my stomach. I feel too good to experiment with supplements and wondered if anyone has found some substitutes that they can handle.
I appreciate your help!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Caffeine substitutes? new
      #364326 - 04/15/11 05:04 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i really like green tea. it is not at all like coffee, but i find i can tolerate it well and have gotten used to a low level of caffeine (just enough to get me through the day with 2 small kids)! i don't know if you can handle any caffeine, but it might be an option

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#364328 - 04/15/11 05:10 PM
JillRenee

Reged: 03/24/11

I understand what you are going through. In the beginning, I quit the coffee and drank about a cup or so of caffinated tea...only after a good soluable breakfast. I then switched to decaf tea. Sluggishness (if that's even a word) with me lasted for about 3 months. It took time, but I slowly seemed to get more energy. I recently discovered Silk's soy milk (light). When heated, I think it tastes like coffee with alot of flavored creamer in it. I think of coffee everytime I drink it. It works for me, and I was a black coffee drinker. Good luck.

#364357 - 04/18/11 02:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi, and welcome!!

You could try green tea, which does have caffeine, and see if that gives you the energy you're looking for without the triggers from coffee. You can also gradually switch from regular green tea to decaf green tea, which can make the transition easier than quitting caffeine cold turkey.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#364536 - 04/29/11 04:06 PM
di8286

Reged: 05/27/10

I was a coffee drinker and had to give that up - feel so much better. I now drink decaffinated green tea from Trader Joe's and I'm fine with it. I also drink Heather's Fennel tea every morning before work. I had to give up the Peppermint tea as I also have acid reflux and other digestive problems. Whenever I get a stomach ache or cramps, I drink Heather's fennel tea - it works wonders!

#364559 - 04/30/11 05:21 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

i have quite a tea rotation going on in my house! have you tried dandelion root? get the roasted kind (i think most are)...it is a little toasty tasting and is actually a nice coffee substitute, although obviously with no caffeine. i also use green tea, chai, peppermint, fennel, having some chamomile right now!!

--------------------
stable IBS-A

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2765 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3506

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review