All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Sauteeing Problems
      #364263 - 04/12/11 09:55 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Has anybody else had this issue?

It seems I cannot eat anything I sautee.
I take a chicken breast, season it just with salt, spray a pan with pam, and sautee.
I eat it, I get very bloated, irritated, and sometime get D after.

Previously I used to sautee in olive oil and would get the same reaction.

Comparatively, when I take that same chicken, salt it, and bake/broil it....I am fine.
This is the part of IBS which infuriates me.
I go to the trouble of cooking dinner when I would much rather nuke something. Worse, it's a rather bland chicken dish, and I STILL get a reaction and for no foreseeable reason.
ARGH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Has anybody else had this issue and any ideas on why sauteeing LOW FAT still is doing this to me?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Sauteeing Problems new
      #364267 - 04/13/11 05:06 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

I have not had that problem, but I am luckily pretty stable.

You say you'd rather just nuke something. If time is the issue, I would suggest getting a George Foreman grill. You can grill meat in about half the time it takes to saute' and the fat will also run off.

#364271 - 04/13/11 05:27 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

This happens to me alot too. I think I am very sensitive to oils or something. DO you have GERD? Then I get mad that I took the effort to cook something that should be safe. In chinese medicine to heal a particular problem through diet,it is alo important to take in to account the way a food is prepared and the hot/cold nature of food.
" If someone has too much heat, cooling foods will be consumed and vice versa for someone with too much cold. A healthy diet in Chinese medicine is relative: what is healthy for one person is unhealthy for another."
Healing with whole foods is a great book if your interested in the theories.

Edited by Allisonmary (04/13/11 05:28 AM)

#364273 - 04/13/11 06:46 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Something doesn't make sense.

The average chicken breast contains about 15 grams of fat. A 1/4 second spritz of pam contains 0.3 grams of canola oil. Even a 1/2 teaspoon of olive oil used to brush the pan and the chicken contains only about 2 grams of fat. About 90% or more of the fat comes from the chicken breast not the pam or the olive oil.

Next time you try this perhaps you could post all of the foods you ate with a meal of chicken breast. The problem might reside with the other foods you are eating with the chicken.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#364276 - 04/13/11 12:12 PM
hudlander

Syl:

I know we have discussed this on emails before, I am telling you it's the sauteed chicken!
I had plain white rice with a little bit of smart balance light butter.

I can take chicken, bake/broil it and be fine.
I sautee with no oil, and it gives me issues.
I have no clue why.

It doesn't make sense that using 1T oil or even using just PAM spray would do this.

Sometimes you don't get a nice black and white explanation new
      #364278 - 04/13/11 12:36 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

for why something hurts (or helps) you. Sometimes it's years down the road before you get a logical answer to an IBS question, and sometimes not even then.

If you KNOW something bothers you, don't eat it. Work around it. Bake, broil, stew, steam your chicken and acknowledge that you just can't sautee it. Give it some time, and try the problem again to see if it still occurs.

What matters is that you know what you can and can't eat. Getting a rational explanation for why is nice, but not truly necessary. Annoying, I know, but sometimes that's how IBS goes.

My own example: I can't eat savory foods (like Thai curries) made with coconut milk. Even if it's very low fat. Even if it's not even real coconut milk, but simply soy or rice milk flavored with coconut extract.

My guess is that having been so violently ill on true (high fat) Thai coconut curries in the past, just that flavor alone is enough to make me sick now. I don't know if this is the real explanation, but I don't have a more logical answer. Coconut milk in small quantities in sweet things, like desserts, doesn't bother me.

In the end I can't dwell on it - I just have to avoid Thai curries. Which is not a problem, as there are lots of other Thai foods I love that don't hurt me.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Sometimes you don't get a nice black and white explanation new
      #364282 - 04/13/11 12:40 PM
hudlander

Thanks Heather.
Perhaps I can try grilling chicken (you don't need to use oil or spray for that do you?).

#364286 - 04/14/11 02:37 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Low sulfur/methionine diets are sometimes beneficial for those with constipation who have an imbalance of methionine versus glutamine. I wonder if this may be a help for you becuase it seems you may be eating a lot of methionine (it is found alot in meats, fish, egg whites and rice). Not that these foods are in any way bad but an imbalance can cause gas, bags under the eyes, and anger. Have you ever tried supplementing with L glutamine?

#364291 - 04/14/11 10:23 AM
hudlander

Yes, glut didn't help.
My RD thinks I may have a carb digestion problem and wants me to
A. Limit rice and rotate different carbs
B. Cut down carbs and bump up protein
C. Take a carb enzyme http://kirkmanlabs.com/ViewProductDetails@Product_ID@89.aspx

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 5556 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3902

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review