All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)
Re: hudlander/a.k.a. naturopanic new
      #364295 - 04/14/11 12:09 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I AM YOUNG! And I love to cook. So whine on, why don't ya.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#364296 - 04/14/11 12:20 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Good, I'm young, and I hate to cook. I don't think I should be wasting my evenings and weekends cooking chicken broth and bread.
I should be able to pop something in the microwave or easy cook something made from the store and relax on the couch.
I shouldn't have IBS holding me hostage.

I don't think it should be mutually exclusive to either:
-Be IBS stable
-Not revolve life around cooking

#364297 - 04/14/11 12:24 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

So don't assume cooking=old person. IBS will ALWAYS hold you hostage because of your attitude.

Now I am done speaking with you.

#364298 - 04/14/11 12:36 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

Will you please settle down.

I did NOT say that you have IBS because you do not try.
I did not say that you deserve it, at all.

IMO, no one deserves this sh*t, but it is what it is and we all have to find a way to deal.
So in the future, please do not put words in my mouth.
I will take ownership of anything I put to words on here but NOT to something that I did NOT say.

Do you think that you are the only one who does not go out to eat or finds it a royal pain in the behind if you do, are you the only one who drinks alcohol rarely (what about those that do not drink at all), think you are the only one who has tried a multitude of diets to no avail?
Think again hudlander/naturopanic, or whatever you are calling yourself today, you are NOT alone, not by a long shot.

But unlike you, most of us come on here to keep trying, hoping to get new info, try something new, listen and learn.
We do not come on here to gripe and whine, critisize and insult, by name calling, those that are trying to help.

I never said that you would not get stable if you did not cook your own oats, or bake your own bread. Again...do not address a post to me with false accusations.
For what it is worth, I eat quick oats cooked in the microwave, and sourdough bread bought fresh from the bakery, and OK, shoot me for this, I make my own chicken/veg broth!!!!!!

You may not pass out from eating a slice of Pepperidge Farm bread but the last time I checked, you are on here because you are NOT stable....SYL is!!!!

And finally, I did NOT blame you for having the audacity to do ANYTHING!!!, let alone be stable.

Loose the insinuation that you are the normal one here and I am not...name calling is only going to get you kicked off here once again.

Oh and BTW, thanks for saying I am just like Syl...I consider that a compliment of the highest degree!

--------------------
IBS-D

#364310 - 04/14/11 10:39 PM
hudlander

There have many occasions both here and elsewhere in which I have felt people with IBS tend to look down at my IBS symptoms and my efforts/struggle to get well with a sort of "well you're not trying, get what you deserve" and completely pooh-pooh and diminish the fact that I have busted my tail to get well.

I spend hours at stores reading ingredients, trying to figure out a diet, and it drives me nuts.
When I have people tell me that until I stop grocery shopping and prepare all my meals for myself that
A. I will not get well
B. I lack the commitment to get well, and get what I deserve

I did admit I loose it, because I just think that's being snotty. I think to tell a person first try EFI, then try FODMAP, don't eat out, don;t drink alcohol, do this, do that, oh but because you don't prepare your meals 100% of the time you're not "committed", see why I would go off there?

At the same time.... new
      #364314 - 04/14/11 10:58 PM
hudlander

I do plead guilty for letting MY frustration get the best of me.
I was wrong to lash out at Syl and co, because while I can get irritated at the "scientific method" rigidness at the same time Syl and people here are to be commended in voluteering time to give their knowledge of IBS which no doubt cannot be replicated by a health professional and is something I have come to find great value in.

Again, my frustrations with continuing IBS symptoms despite the fact that I pretty much have revolved my life around curing my IBS symptoms to little avail then to be interrupt others as making me feel like I just am lazy and not trying is what set me off.
I do apologize.

#364315 - 04/15/11 01:36 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

you can be ibs stable without having to spend every evening in the kitchen...

(and your attitude is probably exacerbating your IBS.. perhaps be a bit more positive.)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Thank you for this... new
      #364320 - 04/15/11 12:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and please realize people are just trying to make helpful suggestions to you. They're not insisting that you do or don't do anything - they don't have the power to force you to do things you don't want.

Take the advice you find helpful, ignore the rest, and see how you do. If you're still struggling, keep what has worked for you so far, and make some new changes that you were perhaps reluctant to make at first. See how you do then.

No one has ever said that you have to cook everything from scratch, or eat only homemade foods. For some single items this may be best, for others it won't make any difference. It helps to see each piece of advice individually, and not extrapolate one thing into a blanket statement about everything you eat or do.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thank you for this... new
      #364330 - 04/15/11 09:23 PM
hudlander

NP Heather.

I get really frustrated sometimes because I just feel nothing really helps that much, and it seems each month without improvement I get asked to do more and more, and yet it never really pays off.

EFI worked well in that getting rid of dairy and fatty foods helped, but I still am not close to stable, and it's so frustrating because I've spent
-Time and money with RDs and MDs
-Time and money buying special groceries, reading labels

And yet food/diet remains a constant barrier, really stressing me out as I always not sure of what I can/can't eat and irregardless still suffer from episodes all the time.

What gets me is this is not cancer, so nobody really takes it seriously, and yet I just don't get why it seems everybody my RD has treated/everybody on these boards can follow instructions and get stable, and I've been trying for 6+ years and can't come close.

IBS is such a horrible barrier to me socially and physically, it really has prevented me from being an athlete since I can not eat properly for fitness training and it makes the question of going out/eating out with friends/family always a hassle.

It seems 90% of the people on this board are/get stable, I don't get why I'm not when I do EFI+FODMAP.
It's like what more do I need to deprive myself of.

I'm sorry I let it get the best of me here, the board doesn't deserve that.

You might need more than just dietary changes... new
      #364361 - 04/18/11 03:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

especially because diet has become a huge source of anxiety and stress for you. Dietary changes should make you feel better and thus reduce your stress about IBS. If that's not the case, then you might focus specifically on some other approaches.

Not sure if you've looked into gut-directed hypnotherapy, but it's got great success rates, including for people who didn't get results they needed from dietary changes.

You can check for practitioners who have gut-specific training and live in your area, your insurance might cover it, and you can also choose an at-home program if you'd rather.

There's a ton of info about all of this and the different options here http://www.helpforibs.com/hypnosis/

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 152 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19931

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review