All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
combo of EFI and fodmaps , re post capricorn1943
      #364199 - 04/08/11 09:02 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

for capricorn 1943 or others who may be interested, here is my diet. as for my email address, it's been on this board before and I was not spammed, happy to forward a very general/summary pdf file on hypnosis to anyone interested

SUSIE'S DIET:
carbs:
-potatoes, white rice - as much as I want, although shouldn't be too much at any one time because of the high glycemic index and the concomitant slump in concentration
-oatmeal - as much as I want, although does cause bloating
-white bread, pasta, cous cous - as much as I want, but too much causes bloating. you are advised to restrict fructan intake to the equivalent of two thin slices of bread if you have problems with fructans but not overly sensitive to them, depends on the individual
-sometimes gluten free corn flakes - http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/asda-compare-prices/Breakfast_Cereals/Doves_Farm_Organic_Gluten_Free_Cornflakes_375g.html
- rarely quinoa - with bit of SF

veggies (always soft and well cooked):
-carrots - as much as I want
-courgette, aka zucchini - with bit of SF
-tomato puree - as much as I want
- rarely parsnips, swedes, pumpkins, sweet potato - with a bit of SF
- occasionally: spinach, green beans, beansprouts(low fat, low fibre variety only) (latter two with beano which helps with the bloating)- limited amount and always with enough SF , ie look up fibre content , then eat with just as much SF supplement

fruits:
-bananas - no brown spots, yellow, green - sometimes I do eat as many as 2 per day, although does cause me bloating
-orange juice -smooth ie no IF, at least 250ml per day
-pomegranate juice - I live in the UK: http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Longlife_Fruit_Juice/Pomegreat_Pomegranate_And_Blueberry_Juice_Drink_1L.html at least 100 ml per day

protein:
-chicken breast,
-white fish: cod/haddock,
-on occasion salmon - not too much cos high in fat
-shrimps

fats - very careful about amount, no more than 25% of calories per meal should come from fat:
-olive oil for cooking
-sesame seed/walnut/flaxseed oil for garnishing after meal is cooked as volatile oils
-non dairy spread -
http://www.mysupermarket.co.uk/tesco-price-comparison/Butter_Margarine_And_Spreads/Pure_Dairy_Free_Spread_with_Sunflower_500g.html

spices:
-cinnamon
-basil
-black pepper
-curry powder
and others
(these are all IF though)

also
-rice milk,
-oatmilk with little SF
-peppermint/rooibos/fruit tea

I take Benefiber (UK variety is inulin free) for SF when is relevant (ie with spinach e.g.), usually no more than 3 g per day, which is two teaspoonfuls with relevant meal.
when i wrote 'with little SF' I meant not necessarily that, but cooled white rice/potatoes/pasta, which has more SF on account of the resistant starch that forms on it

it probably also matters how much IF you have per meal even with SF, ie overall IF content should be not too much either

I am also taking
-a vitamin B complex supplement - with a little food
-flaxseed oil tablets which has vitamin E in it - with food
-zinc -with food
-iron - with orange juice
-calcium and vitamin D- with evening meal
(I take these at separate times during the day, usually with at least 2 hours between them)

so once again general rules for me, ie gist of it was:
-no alcohol/caffeine
-no dairy (I was diagnosed as severely lactose intolerant),
-fat content of meals restricted to 20-25 per cent of calories per meal - too much fat causes me really horribly painful spasms and irregularity
-IF very limited and only with SF, too much IF on its own causes me D and a little pain
-the FODMAP approach simultaneously

if I eat like this, I have no pain at all, no D or no C, ie 1 or 2 easily passable BM per day, bloating is OK, more with bananas, oatmeal and fructans, but even with those not that bad

I no longer take the cell salts/homeopathy, cos it has lactose in it, not sure whether it really works after all, never did proper scientific trials

hope this helps.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks -nt new
      #364200 - 04/09/11 04:11 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Re: Thanks -nt new
      #364208 - 04/09/11 01:09 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

1) How much has this helped?

2) You ARE able to tolerate Fish/Flax seed oil capsules (even though fat content is high)?

3) Why does it matter if spices are high in IF? Those are powdered spices which are blended in with protein and are SO small, you would think the IF would be inconsequential.

4) Garlic/onions...no?

5) Squash/yellow zucchini?

6) Any corn products?

#364210 - 04/09/11 01:14 PM
hudlander

Also....how much bread/wheat/gluten do you eat a day?

Like do you have JUST two slices of bread a day...or is that two slices of bread is ok PER MEAL?
I don't have a fructose malabsorbtion so have been wondering.

#364221 - 04/10/11 10:42 AM
CellSalts_Work

It is meant to be two slices of bread per day. I usually eat a lot more. It only causes me bloating.

1) I told you, eating like this I have no pain or D or C, only varied amount of bloating.

2) I always take it with a meal and it's probably 1g ie 10 kcal of fat, easy to eat a lot more carbs and protein with it.

3) I eat spices all the time, Syl told me that it's still IF. Syl's diet is a lot less lenient on IF than mine.

4) I sometimes cook with garlic for the taste, usually remove it before eating. I have had onions, but only rarely, as am not a huge fan. They are IF, but not too much and I guess not too much means it's OK since they are listed in the fructan column and if I can eat bread then surely other fructans are meant to be OK too.

5) squash rarely, but well cooked then and with little IF. a rule of thumb is meant to be that the more mushy veggies are , the safer they are. usually. (apparently). I have zucchini on a regular basis.

6) corn flakes, that gluten free variety sometimes whose link I posted, esp as that contains minimal amount of fibre.

well cooked maize, like corn on the cob, sometimes, but that has IF in it, so only with enough SF

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#364222 - 04/10/11 10:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Regarding wheat products. The recommendation is to have leass than > 0.2 g of fructans per serve. Wheat has 1-4% fructans. An average slice of bread contains between 0.3 and 1.2 grams. I eat 1 thin slice of bread with a meal that contains no other source of fructans.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Thanks -nt *DELETED* new
      #364247 - 04/12/11 02:36 PM
hudlander

Post deleted by Heather

Wow - Naturapanic is on a rant today -nt- new
      #364255 - 04/12/11 03:11 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

hudlander/a.k.a. naturopanic new
      #364256 - 04/12/11 03:26 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

You know, this is a bit of a ridiculous post. Syl, being knowledgeable, only tries to share what works for him, as we all do. Take what you want and leave the rest.

Some of us, me being one, do make many things from scratch, and it is NOT because I am afraid of Kraft foods, nor because I think you are lazy. It's because of the crap that many manufacturers put in their product. I want to be the healthiest I can possible be, so I take the time and effort to make that happen.

You seem to want the quick and easy way out. The sooner you come to terms with IBS and what it takes to get well and stay well, the better off you will be.

Ranting at Syl is not going to help you!

And by the way, what the heck is a "hypocondrate"?

Re: hudlander/a.k.a. naturopanic new
      #364257 - 04/12/11 03:43 PM
hudlander

What exactly do manufacturers put in their food which is so offensive?

You know I have thoroughly read Heather's books.
NEVER once did Heather lead me to believe that I would have to make my own oatmeal/cereal/bread/chicken broth.

NEVER!
Her book states in fact that having IBS does not mean you can never eat out again.
She provides a sample 3 day diet for people who HATE TO COOK.

She never, NEVER, ever, leaves me to believe that I have to avoid 'commercial food.'
All she and FODMAPS did was give a list of troublesome ingredients, leaving the impression if food does not have 'x' (say dairy) it is safe.

I'd LOVE for you to tell my your tummy can't handle non-dairy, non-gluten bread or cereal?

I have sacrificied and come to terms with IBS, which is why I followed EFI and FODMAPS, so don't you dare, don't YOU dare belittle me with your condescending attitude.
Oh don't you dare!

I am not a hypocondrate who revolves his 24/7 life around making me own food like a pre-historic hunter-gatherer for fear that KRAFT foods is evil.

If you can't eat chicken broth/cereal/store made bread...simply put...you are being overly protective and paranoid.
There is nothing wrong with buying food from the grocery, that is what GOD intended. If your stomach is so weak and wussy that you can't, then maybe that is natural selection or nature's way of saying you were not long for Earth.

Good god.
I'll believe and validate your worldly views the second you tell me what is so wrong with:
-Chicken broth/cereal/bread/juice

It's one thing to make your own dinner.
Another to make all your ingredients.
Good lord.

#364262 - 04/12/11 09:46 PM
hudlander

When you say you eat zucchini, do you eat just green zucchini OR yellow zucchini (also called summer squash).

I would think BOTH yellow and green would be safe.
I mean, what's the difference?

#364264 - 04/13/11 01:33 AM
CellSalts_Work

He's not really a hunter-gatherer is he, he cooks all his food meticulously, history teaches me that's even further advanced than the diet of most settled civilisations?

but he never ever told me that my symptoms were either from mustard or not baking my own bread, he only showed me the science behind all this, and that e.g. there is IF in spices. As for preparing your own food like that, if you have the time and the inclination (and a good kitchen for it), why not. Don't think it's primarily for his IBS only, but maybe because he likes to know what exactly he eats. There are loads of IBS-free people out there who prefer baking their bread or cooking oats as opposed to microwaving them. I've never done either and never once did Syl advise me that I should or imply that I was lazy/ too trusting of commercial food.

I live in London and we have a blueberry juice drink that has no fibre and no high fructose corn syrup or added sugar in it. This is probably not the case in America or Canada, hence he makes his own berry juice. It's expediency. But he buys orange juice, as it's commercially available...

I myself find it challenging to eat out because everything is usually swimming in fat/ there is too much IF there, it's all to do with science again, nothing to do with additives or non-home cooked food.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#364265 - 04/13/11 01:36 AM
CellSalts_Work

I've only ever eaten green zucchini, but they do seem identical to me except for colour, ie think we can eat both.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#364281 - 04/13/11 12:38 PM
hudlander

I'm glad to see somebody else doesn't cook ingredients.
I think there is fine line between trying to prevent symptoms and then being held hostage.
To me, cooking oats, bread, and broth (and fruit juice) is absurd. Nobody should be required to do that, if you can't eat store made bread, I don't see what hope you have.

Moreover, come on, I hardly see how making bread and oats v store bought makes a difference between feeling good and bad.
To me, that seems well above and beyond reason.
Very few people make oats, bread, and juice, they buy because we have lives and cannot live in a bubble.

#364284 - 04/13/11 12:56 PM
Gerikat

In answer to some of your comments and questions:

I could give you many books and articles to read on what manufacturers put in the food we eat. Sometimes hidden under "flavors and spices", etc. But, I think I would be wasting by time, because I think you only want to hear what you want to hear.

My tummy can handle any food I choose to eat, because I have put in the time with diet, hypnotherapy, meditation, exercise, and an all-around happy lifestyle.

My attitude...? Excuse me. When you posted as Naturopanic you were banned from the boards, by Heather, because you were rude, obnoxious and just plain out of control. I am sure she would not hesitate to do that again, if needed. I don't care what name you post under.

You ask for help and when people on these boards either offer you the scientific data or personal experience to try to help you, you lash out and beat those same people up. Like I said to you before, take the information that works for you and leave the rest, but don't be such an ass to people who are trying to help you.

When you posted under Naturopanic, it was all about the bodybuilding and how you looked, about how you couldn't throw down a few drinks with your friends, about what you couldn't have, and on and on and on. I remember Little Minnie setting you straight several times. You whined and whined about your life and how you could not do, be, drink, eat, what you wanted. Well, grow up, life is still pretty damn good.

I am not saying you cannot buy food from the grocery store. I AM just saying watch the ingredients. God has nothing to do with a grocery store, man does.

I am not overly protective or paranoid. Who is well here...you or me?

I choose to eat healthy and make some of my own foods because I feel that is the best thing for me. If you don't like it, don't do it, but stop calling people hunter-gatherers or pre-historic, because they choose this. Again, who is well here? Syl is stable and I am doing great. Where are you?

There is not a darn thing wrong with chicken broth, cereal, bread or juice. I happen to be vegetarian so I make/buy veggie broth, I eat steel-cut oatmeal, I make home-made delicious breads, and I juice my own veggie and fruit juices. What the heck is wrong with that?

And finally, I DO NOT make all of my ingredients, but buy plenty from the store. I choose to make my own when I have the time and for health reasons.

I see that Heather has already deleted most of your obnoxious posts, so that would be a good thing. And stop beating up on Syl, because he is offering the advice you asked for.

If Heather deletes my post, I sure hope you read it before she does, because I am tired of you!

Please - a warning to stop attacking posters new
      #364285 - 04/13/11 09:20 PM
hudlander

Edited by Heather (04/14/11 02:29 PM)

#364287 - 04/14/11 04:57 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

AND...he's off and running again.

So you hate cooking???
What I have to say to that is ...so what????
I hate sh*tting my pants too, so if that means I have to cook, then just take a guess at what I am going to do...suck it up man.
You want ALL the benefits but refuse to commit!
Your comment of LIMITING alcohol proves that.

No doubt this post will get deleted like my last one but like Gerikat, I do hope that you get to read it before that happens.

If we are all so condescending then why in the world do you keep coming back under different names?

--------------------
IBS-D

#364288 - 04/14/11 08:02 AM
CellSalts_Work

Has Syl ever condescendingly suggested to you that your problems lie with not cooking/not baking your own bread/cooking porridge the traditional way? (incidentally, you are still cooking oats in the microwave!)

IBS is the bane of all our lives, but it's still better than a lot of other conditions, if you have it under control.

I really am an atrocious cook, believe me. I left an indelible burn-mark on my boyfriend's counter and have ruined a couple of pans and pots. I find it time-consuming and I have often felt that I have better things to do. I hate not being able to eat out. And I can wholly sympathise with you even though I am in an easier position as I have never been a big fan either of alcohol or caffeine or red meat or dairy. I imagine a lot of normal people have a lot tougher time than me if they'd had a normal varied Western diet beforehand...

I cook every three days, then on a relatively grand scale and I then just put food in the fridge and then in the microwave if I fancy before eating. Technology is a godsend...

Cooking for me takes no more than an hour, that is about 2 hours per week and I cook different things simultaneously, but usually two types of food for two big pots that I eat over the next three days. I cook very simple stuff, rice, pasta, fish, chicken, I prepare them in the most simple manner and it tastes delicious. (then again I may just be lucky as I have even before IBS actually liked bland food) You can do most things in the microwave too btw, even rice (probably not pasta though). For chicken and fish, I sometimes just boil it, put it in hot water, simmer for 10 mins for fish, but more for chicken, it really is v easy. I also buy cooked chicken, the one for sandwiches. Again probably full of additives, but highly unlikely that it bothers your bowels.

It's do-able. Or: we just haven't got a choice anyhow. No point complaining at the end of the day.

PS lot of the things I eat and are allowed I guess, like bread, bananas, oatmeal, fruit juice, these don't really require cooking, so you can definitely live like this even if you hate/unable to cook.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Re: hudlander/a.k.a. naturopanic *DELETED* new
      #364292 - 04/14/11 10:28 AM
hudlander

Post deleted by Heather

#364293 - 04/14/11 10:30 AM
hudlander

Hey Syl, it has been four days and you have still not answered my emails.
Why?

#364295 - 04/14/11 12:09 PM
Gerikat

I AM YOUNG! And I love to cook. So whine on, why don't ya.

#364296 - 04/14/11 12:20 PM
hudlander

Good, I'm young, and I hate to cook. I don't think I should be wasting my evenings and weekends cooking chicken broth and bread.
I should be able to pop something in the microwave or easy cook something made from the store and relax on the couch.
I shouldn't have IBS holding me hostage.

I don't think it should be mutually exclusive to either:
-Be IBS stable
-Not revolve life around cooking

#364297 - 04/14/11 12:24 PM
Gerikat

So don't assume cooking=old person. IBS will ALWAYS hold you hostage because of your attitude.

Now I am done speaking with you.

#364298 - 04/14/11 12:36 PM
Thai

Will you please settle down.

I did NOT say that you have IBS because you do not try.
I did not say that you deserve it, at all.

IMO, no one deserves this sh*t, but it is what it is and we all have to find a way to deal.
So in the future, please do not put words in my mouth.
I will take ownership of anything I put to words on here but NOT to something that I did NOT say.

Do you think that you are the only one who does not go out to eat or finds it a royal pain in the behind if you do, are you the only one who drinks alcohol rarely (what about those that do not drink at all), think you are the only one who has tried a multitude of diets to no avail?
Think again hudlander/naturopanic, or whatever you are calling yourself today, you are NOT alone, not by a long shot.

But unlike you, most of us come on here to keep trying, hoping to get new info, try something new, listen and learn.
We do not come on here to gripe and whine, critisize and insult, by name calling, those that are trying to help.

I never said that you would not get stable if you did not cook your own oats, or bake your own bread. Again...do not address a post to me with false accusations.
For what it is worth, I eat quick oats cooked in the microwave, and sourdough bread bought fresh from the bakery, and OK, shoot me for this, I make my own chicken/veg broth!!!!!!

You may not pass out from eating a slice of Pepperidge Farm bread but the last time I checked, you are on here because you are NOT stable....SYL is!!!!

And finally, I did NOT blame you for having the audacity to do ANYTHING!!!, let alone be stable.

Loose the insinuation that you are the normal one here and I am not...name calling is only going to get you kicked off here once again.

Oh and BTW, thanks for saying I am just like Syl...I consider that a compliment of the highest degree!

--------------------
IBS-D

#364310 - 04/14/11 10:39 PM
hudlander

There have many occasions both here and elsewhere in which I have felt people with IBS tend to look down at my IBS symptoms and my efforts/struggle to get well with a sort of "well you're not trying, get what you deserve" and completely pooh-pooh and diminish the fact that I have busted my tail to get well.

I spend hours at stores reading ingredients, trying to figure out a diet, and it drives me nuts.
When I have people tell me that until I stop grocery shopping and prepare all my meals for myself that
A. I will not get well
B. I lack the commitment to get well, and get what I deserve

I did admit I loose it, because I just think that's being snotty. I think to tell a person first try EFI, then try FODMAP, don't eat out, don;t drink alcohol, do this, do that, oh but because you don't prepare your meals 100% of the time you're not "committed", see why I would go off there?

At the same time.... new
      #364314 - 04/14/11 10:58 PM
hudlander

I do plead guilty for letting MY frustration get the best of me.
I was wrong to lash out at Syl and co, because while I can get irritated at the "scientific method" rigidness at the same time Syl and people here are to be commended in voluteering time to give their knowledge of IBS which no doubt cannot be replicated by a health professional and is something I have come to find great value in.

Again, my frustrations with continuing IBS symptoms despite the fact that I pretty much have revolved my life around curing my IBS symptoms to little avail then to be interrupt others as making me feel like I just am lazy and not trying is what set me off.
I do apologize.

#364315 - 04/15/11 01:36 AM
CellSalts_Work

you can be ibs stable without having to spend every evening in the kitchen...

(and your attitude is probably exacerbating your IBS.. perhaps be a bit more positive.)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Thank you for this... new
      #364320 - 04/15/11 12:17 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and please realize people are just trying to make helpful suggestions to you. They're not insisting that you do or don't do anything - they don't have the power to force you to do things you don't want.

Take the advice you find helpful, ignore the rest, and see how you do. If you're still struggling, keep what has worked for you so far, and make some new changes that you were perhaps reluctant to make at first. See how you do then.

No one has ever said that you have to cook everything from scratch, or eat only homemade foods. For some single items this may be best, for others it won't make any difference. It helps to see each piece of advice individually, and not extrapolate one thing into a blanket statement about everything you eat or do.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Thank you for this... new
      #364330 - 04/15/11 09:23 PM
hudlander

NP Heather.

I get really frustrated sometimes because I just feel nothing really helps that much, and it seems each month without improvement I get asked to do more and more, and yet it never really pays off.

EFI worked well in that getting rid of dairy and fatty foods helped, but I still am not close to stable, and it's so frustrating because I've spent
-Time and money with RDs and MDs
-Time and money buying special groceries, reading labels

And yet food/diet remains a constant barrier, really stressing me out as I always not sure of what I can/can't eat and irregardless still suffer from episodes all the time.

What gets me is this is not cancer, so nobody really takes it seriously, and yet I just don't get why it seems everybody my RD has treated/everybody on these boards can follow instructions and get stable, and I've been trying for 6+ years and can't come close.

IBS is such a horrible barrier to me socially and physically, it really has prevented me from being an athlete since I can not eat properly for fitness training and it makes the question of going out/eating out with friends/family always a hassle.

It seems 90% of the people on this board are/get stable, I don't get why I'm not when I do EFI+FODMAP.
It's like what more do I need to deprive myself of.

I'm sorry I let it get the best of me here, the board doesn't deserve that.

You might need more than just dietary changes... new
      #364361 - 04/18/11 03:06 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

especially because diet has become a huge source of anxiety and stress for you. Dietary changes should make you feel better and thus reduce your stress about IBS. If that's not the case, then you might focus specifically on some other approaches.

Not sure if you've looked into gut-directed hypnotherapy, but it's got great success rates, including for people who didn't get results they needed from dietary changes.

You can check for practitioners who have gut-specific training and live in your area, your insurance might cover it, and you can also choose an at-home program if you'd rather.

There's a ton of info about all of this and the different options here http://www.helpforibs.com/hypnosis/

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Actually God didn't... new
      #364423 - 04/22/11 04:25 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

..intend for us to buy all our food from a grocery store.
For the last oh I don't know...lets say..a few hundred years give or take..(though I know it's more)...we grew our own food,baked our own bread and oh my god!!!we have survived!
It goes without question that making your own food at home is much safer.
Did you know that blueberry bagels actually do not contain blueberries?They are a soy product that has been made into little blue globs of goo that they can call "blue berries".

Just one example of what manufacturers put in our food.
..and furthermore if bread has a shelf life of more than one or two days...what did they put into it to make this so?
Does that even bother you?

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: You might need more than just dietary changes... new
      #364434 - 04/23/11 11:13 AM
hudlander

Quote:

especially because diet has become a huge source of anxiety and stress for you. Dietary changes should make you feel better and thus reduce your stress about IBS. If that's not the case, then you might focus specifically on some other approaches.

Not sure if you've looked into gut-directed hypnotherapy, but it's got great success rates, including for people who didn't get results they needed from dietary changes.

You can check for practitioners who have gut-specific training and live in your area, your insurance might cover it, and you can also choose an at-home program if you'd rather.

There's a ton of info about all of this and the different options here http://www.helpforibs.com/hypnosis/

Best,
H

Thank you Heather.
It looks like more and more something else may have to be done.

I have been on your diet for 6 years, and yes I will never in the foreseeable future go back to dairy!
That said, I clearly am not stable and I suffer from awful bloating/distension and on/off D or C daily.

I have been working with an RD and tried with your diet, EFI, a combo of FODMAPS.
Unfortunately, this too hasn't worked.

I mean, if I were to eat a McDonalds hamburger with french fries and cheese, I would feel much worse, so in that sense it has worked.
But absent those triggers I still am doing awful.

The only choices left are:
1) Candida diet
2) SCD diet
3) Full elimination diet
4) Marijuna
5) Hypnosis

I don't get it.

Re: You might need more than just dietary changes... new
      #364435 - 04/23/11 11:21 AM
Thai

But your're better, right?
Why so pessimistic?
What is not to get?

Keep trying, looking and adding things to the things that already have offered you some help.

From what I can tell, most people have to employ numerous treatments to get to where they can function, are comfortable and satisfied with where they are.

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: update new
      #364954 - 06/01/11 03:18 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

Must update my post, as I've recently ventured to incorporate a lot more IF into my diet and have success to report. I think it comes down to the individual what the worst trigger is, and for Syl it is IF, so he limits overall IF, for me it's fat and been doing a lot better with IF than I'd have ever thought/what I used to assume. But I try to make sure I balance it out with enough SF just to be safe and also cos SF is v good for you health-wise.

http://huhs.harvard.edu/assets/File/OurServices/Service_Nutrition_Fiber.pdf
my trust in this prompted me to revise my fear of all these fruits and veggies, most contain much more SF than I used to think...

pls bear in mind that a lot of these are FODMAP caution foods, so you may still have problems with them even if IF-SF proportions are OK.

fructans cause me so much bloating that i tend to avoid them altogether (except for bread).

so here it is:
a= very good source of antioxidants/otherwise extremely beneficial
f=fructan source, ie I personally don't eat them, you may find it's OK for you.

IF-SF equal
broccoli (a)
asparagus (f)
brussels sprouts (f)
cucumber
onion, fresh (a,f)
dried apricots
fresh apricots
cherries
grape fruit
peach
dried prunes, dried raisins
water melon

almost same SF-IF
cauliflower
grapes
figs
sesame seeds
orange

nuts
peanut butter- I eat it without SF and it's fine for me..

based on this:
http://chetday.com/beansfightdiabetes2.htm
http://www.kickas.org/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=143543

legumes
half a cup of black beans (a) 1.5g RS (resistant starch), navy beans, lentils similar
so
black beans almost equal SF-IF
navy beans 1g excess IF
other beans seem a lot more IF heavy

green beans (a): ½ cup 2.0 0.5 1.5, ie 1g excess IF
kale (a): ½ cup 2.5 0.7 1.8 , ie 1g
spinach (a): ½ cup 1.6 0.5 1.1 , ie 0.5g

green pepper raw (a): 1 cup chopped 1.7 0.7 1.0 , ie 0.3g
mushrooms fresh: 1 cup pieces 0.8 0.1 0.7, ie 0.5g
blueberries fresh (a): ¾ cup 1.4 0.3 1.1, ie 0.8g (let's say one cup 1g)
raspberries (a): 1 cup 3.3 0.9 2.4, ie 1.5g
strawberries (a): 1 ¼ cup 2.8 1.1 1.7, ie 0.5g

peas: ½ cup 4.3 1.3 3.0, ie 1.5g

(excess IF I balanced out with Benefiber UK, ie pure wheat dextrin)

taken to pearl barley too, has a lot of RS and I love the taste

I don't eat peas, but I eat just about everything else (apart from those fructans above) and am delighted cos all these are really healthy and usually low on the glycemic load-front, something that I pay particular attention to these days.

So there's the whole thing for you, with numbers, cos I have to channel my love for Maths somewhere and also, thought it may be useful for people.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Re: raw vs cooked new
      #364955 - 06/01/11 03:24 PM
Susie1985

Reged: 05/04/11

I reckon that raw fruits and veggies may contain a certain amount of SF and IF, but SF is a lot more accessible when something as cooked as opposed to when it's raw.

So I cook mushrooms, I steam dark green veggies (even rocket salad, I really like the taste still), never eat green salads raw, I cook strawberries, raspberries, blueberries and various red/black currants into my oats.

I prefer cooked or warm food anyhow taste and texture-wise, always have done. I even prefer toast to normal bread. But this is probably an idiosyncrasy of mine.

--------------------
now: stable through EFI+FODMAP dieting (no lactose/no fructose/some fructans and some polyols)

before: IBS-D(pseudo-diarrhoea), bloating, often unbearable pain esp from too much fat: Apr 2007- Dec 2010

FODMAPs: http://www.todaysdietitian.com/newarchives/072710p30.shtml

[I've tried VSL#3 -> I could tolerate v good amounts of IF (even with less SF), it worked great (but overall I find it too expensive)]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2188 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 19872

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review