All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
New to the IBS Diet!
      #364176 - 04/08/11 10:15 AM
ngarcia1031

Reged: 04/08/11

I came across your site searching for information on IBS.

I have been suffering from stomach issues for over 4 years now ( I just turned 30). Mainly constipation (don't go for sometimes 1 - 2 weeks), gas/trapped air in the intestines you can't pass/pains/cramping, trapped air and pain in my chest.

The first gastro dr told me I had IBS and acid reflux and that there was nothing she could do for me besides tell me to stay away from caffeine, booze, chocolate and carbonated beverages. She prescribed me acid reflux medication.

Then I saw a 2nd gastro dr for a 2nd opinion. I have had test after test done (scopes, empty stomach studies, manometries, blood tests, ultrasound on my gallbladder) on me and I still do not feel satisfied with the answers I am getting "nothing is wrong". They found out I have a weak esophagus lower specter which is why I keep getting trapped air in my chest, occasional heart burn and am unable to burp. They put me on a low gas diet (no dairy, no carbonated beverages, no milk chocolate, garlic, onions, beans, celery, carrots, prunes , etc, etc) that seemed to help this out a lot. But then my other issues with the constipation were not solved because well low gas means low in fiber! They even had me see a physical therapist to see if I had pelvic floor dysfunction and tried to treat me for that saying I don't know how to relax my muscles to go to the bathroom which is the cause of the constipation. They then put me on a high fiber diet. It started off with me just eating All Bran cereal in the morning every day and lowering my Miralax to ˝ capful ( I have taken 2 capfuls every day and still not gone). So between the cereal, the Miralax and the kegels I started to finally go to the bathroom. So now they tell me increase the fiber some more and take away more of the Miralax…..but now I am right back where I started.. constipated, in pain/cramping/gas.. it's terrible.

I figured maybe it is IBS after all.. or maybe IBS is partially to blame and I have a combination of various things wrong with me. I am trying to research things to bring with me to my follow dr visit next month.

I ordered and received Heather's book, the fennel tea, the soluble fiber and the peppermint capsules. I noticed with the cheat sheet you mention insoluble fiber. Which are the fibers my drs have been telling me to eat to relieve my constipation.. so now I am thinking that might be why I am in so much pain. So I have been reading your info about the soluble fiber and now I am hopeful!!!

I started to follow your book/site because it just made so much sense to me. My stomach aches are less frequent and some days I dont have any!!!

I take the peppermint capsules first thing in the morning on an empty stomach and when I have had an upset stomach and I can not believe how much better they make me feel.

I just started using the soluble fiber supplement mixed in with my food/drinks.. I have started off slow with one tablespoon a day. I am hoping I can stop doing Miralax altogether and just start using this supplement instead. I would much rather have an organic natural supplement in my system instead of a laxative like Miralax (no matter how safe they tell me it is).

I also am very happy with how well the book, site and cheat sheet is helping me to follow these diet changes. It's definitely not that hard.. you just have to really think before you eat.

I am hoping some of my constipation issues start to subside again before I see the dr so I can tell her about my success with this plan and possibly get some more answers.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Wonderful, and welcome to the board! new
      #364190 - 04/08/11 01:19 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

So happy you are feeling better!

There's an article about transitioning off laxatives onto a soluble fiber supplement here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/newsletter/060705.html#askheather that should really help.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: New to the IBS Diet! new
      #364194 - 04/08/11 04:28 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

hi and welcome... everyone is different, so you do have to find what does and does not work for you, but I can tell you as a severe, severe case of "C" insoluble fiber is my worst enemy. I know it makes no sense and there has yet to be a doctor i've met who thinks I know what I am talking about. But whatever. So,just letting you know, Heather is right that IF can be a big trigger- you just have to see what you can tolerate through trial and error. Good luck.

Re: New to the IBS Diet! new
      #364289 - 04/14/11 10:08 AM
ngarcia1031

Thank you.. right now Heather's diet has made me feel so much better stomach ache wise.. the gas stomach aches or attacks from the insoluble fiber were killing me. But now that I eat them with the soluble fibers I am fine. Every dr told me.. you have to just increase your fiber gradually and you wont get the stomach aches. Hello?? I am increasing it gradually and STILL getting them. Thats why I think this diet is a life saver. I just started this past week with Heather's soluble fiber in hopes I can get off the Miralax. My biggest problem now is getting over the constipation hurdle I am on. My husband swears I have a blockage somewhere in my intestines but the dr's never did a full colonoscopy on me.. they only did a sigmoidoscopy. So who knows if he is right. I occasionally go and I am fine and then other days I am constipated or it hurts to go. Either way.. it always takes me atleast a week before I go. It seems as soon as I stop taking the miralax I am back to constipation and painful BM's. It depresses me that I can't just be regular.

Re: Wonderful, and welcome to the board! new
      #364290 - 04/14/11 10:09 AM
ngarcia1031

Oh thank you soooo much!! I am off to read it in full right now!!!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 260 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1794

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review