All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Strawberries
      #363616 - 02/23/11 06:39 PM
happy2b

Reged: 02/19/11
Loc: South Carolina

i was told by my GI doc that anything with seeds, no matter how small, could be a problem. would Strawberries be a "caution"? thank you.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strawberries new
      #363620 - 02/24/11 03:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

They are a caution for me. That is why I make berry juice and don't eat whole berries.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Strawberries new
      #363638 - 02/24/11 05:00 PM
happy2b

yes, the night i had my worst IBS attack of the year, was a few hours after a beautiful Valentine's Day dinner of,
Beef Tenderloin, a glass of my favorite Pinot Noir, iceberg lettuce salad, and strawberries. bad time afterwards. mortal agony. so, it is hard to "weed out" if it was one or all of the elements. however, i have noticed that even incorporating strawberries on cereal, that doesn't do very well either. My point in all of this was in looking at the recipe that Heather has (IBS cookbook) for a fruit smoothie that has strawberries in it. my thought was that the strawberries and the air whipped into the mixture from the blender, might be problematic?

Blending the berries new
      #363639 - 02/24/11 05:10 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

really breaks down the insoluble fiber and pulverizes the seeds. That makes smoothies much more tolerable than just fresh whole berries. There shouldn't be much air whipped into the smoothie from the blender - it's not being aerated, just blended.

Just FYI, the Valentine's dinner you had was literally nothing but triggers:

Beef Tenderloin, a glass of my favorite Pinot Noir, iceberg lettuce salad

Every single element there could have caused an attack, especially as there is no soluble fiber in there at all. Even with soluble fiber, the meat, alcohol, and insoluble fiber from raw lettuce would have been trouble.

Hope you're feeling better soon.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Blending the berries new
      #363641 - 02/24/11 05:49 PM
happy2b

yes, unfortunately, now i know. i was not educated about "trigger foods", until a few days later when i found your website. lovely dinner, painful result. not going to do that again, not worth the risk. thank you for the reply. i think the first few weeks of getting acclimated are the hardest, trying to make sure one is following the right protocol. and slowly but surely re-stocking my fridge with the right stuff! thank you Heather.

Mechanically breaking down IF new
      #363650 - 02/25/11 05:42 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

such as seeds, skin and pulp is something I have not found to be particularly effective even when accompanied by lots of SF. I can see that mechanical grinding reduces the size of the IF particles which means they will be smaller when they swell up with water therefore putting less mechanical pressure on the colon wall. However, it also increases the surface area of IF available for fermentation by colonic bacteria increasing gas productions.

Perhaps this is another one of those things that works for some but not for others.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Mechanically breaking down IF new
      #363654 - 02/25/11 06:01 AM
happy2b

thanks for taking the chemical process a step further. i understand the process better.

Don't know... new
      #363675 - 02/25/11 12:49 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's one of the best ways I've ever found to make insoluble fiber much more tolerable. I either cook it, chop it, or blend it. I'd eat a fraction of the fresh fruits and vegetables I'm able to now if I didn't have that safety margin.

Sorry it's not working as well for you.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3654 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4005

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review