All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Dietician Suggested Diet
      #362170 - 11/24/10 12:58 AM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

I consulted with a recommended dietician (Green Lake) from Heather.

They came up with this sample as my meal plan.
I've got strong reservations because

1) I HATE cooking...I prefer take out or quick/short cook/microwave or simple step meals
2) Something that tastes good
3) Some suggestions seem "out" there

I've posted it below...tell me if you think this makes sense or if I should consult with somebody else and stop being their client.

They claim to have had strong success with IBSers and they were recommended by Heather...but the diet seems IMPOSSIBLY burdensome to follow....and I don't have time to sacrifice a month of cooking and taste to feel marginal results.
But...if you feel it holds water...that'll help.

Quote:

Menu- Day 1
Breakfast- Smoothie w/ frozen berries or fresh fruit, water, protein powder, fresh spinach or dark
leafy greens. Cooked oatmeal.

Snack- Baked sweet potato, sliced deli meat with fresh or cooked spinach

Lunch- Roasted chicken breast, sautéed kale w/ onions, roasted winter squash

Snack- Moroccan quinoa salad (recipe below), pear

Dinner- Salmon w/ sauted chard, mushrooms, and onions, sliced beets, roasted winter squash

Snack- baked apple

Menu- Day 2
Breakfast- Cooked oatmeal, fresh cut fruit

Snack- Fresh pineapple chunks, soy nuts or deli meat slices

Lunch- Tuna or salmon, fresh spinach salad, baked sweet potato, cooked peas, applesauce

Snack- Cooked edamame w/ quinoa, pear

Dinner- Cooked lentils sauted w/ mushrooms, onions, and dark greens, sliced beets, cooked millet
or quinoa (recipe below)

Snack- fresh or baked fruit

Menu- Day 3
Breakfast- Peasant kasha (recipe below), cooked salmon/fish, greens

Snack- protein smoothie, fresh fruit

Lunch- Sliced turkey, spinach salad, peas, roasted winter squash

Snack- cooked oatmeal w/ fresh fruit

Dinner- Beef stir fry w/ bok choy, mushrooms, scallions, snap peas, cooked quinoa or amaranth

Snack- poached pears (recipe below)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Dietician Suggested Diet new
      #362172 - 11/24/10 05:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

The menu you posted is based on the SCD diet. It is the antithesis of the EFI diet which this board focuses on. This diet is has red meat, it is high in IF, low in SF, and no rice, potatoes, bread, etc. You might get answers if you ask your question in a SCD forum.

One thought. If you are serious about getting your IBS under control using a dietary management approach you may have to do more of your own cooking and rely less on processed foods and take-out

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I would not agree with this diet at all... new
      #362177 - 11/24/10 01:07 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

I'm so sorry if you got this dietitian from a listing on our site. I would not ever recommend someone who would tell you to eat this much insoluble fiber without a strong soluble fiber foundation. She also has you eating beef and deli meat, which is a terrible idea.

Please email us at help@helpforibs.com with more details about the person who recommended this diet, as we'll remove their info if we have them on our site as an IBS resource.

Thanks,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Dietician Suggested Diet new
      #362180 - 11/24/10 06:43 PM
kim123

Reged: 07/18/06
Loc: Florida

What diets have you tried, and have they worked for you? What may work for one/some, may not work for all. Do what you feel works well for you. Whatever diet you choose (isn't it really a life-style change as a diet for a few weeks won't keep you well longterm?),experiment with it for a couple of weeks, and see how you feel. Give it enough time and give it a fair chance. Don't expect immediate results overnight.

Re: I would not agree with this diet at all... new
      #362185 - 11/24/10 09:46 PM
hudlander

Reged: 09/26/10

Quote:

I'm so sorry if you got this dietitian from a listing on our site. I would not ever recommend someone who would tell you to eat this much insoluble fiber without a strong soluble fiber foundation. She also has you eating beef and deli meat, which is a terrible idea.

Please email us at help@helpforibs.com with more details about the person who recommended this diet, as we'll remove their info if we have them on our site as an IBS resource.

Thanks,
Heather

Heather, I'll go ahead and email you that information.
I must ask, what is wrong with deli meat.
It was my understanding that per EFI, deli meat is perfectly ok for lunch (Boar's Head type brand).
I never saw ANYTHING in your books to suggest otherwise.

2) Where can I find a good RD/practiconer to work 1-1 with me on curing my symtpoms?

Edited by hudlander (11/24/10 10:27 PM)

Looks like naturapanic is back on the board again new
      #362192 - 11/25/10 06:09 AM
leslie99

Reged: 11/25/10

--------------------
IBS-D

Re: Looks like naturapanic is back on the board again new
      #362193 - 11/25/10 06:16 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

That is EXACTLY what I thought when I read that post. Same style of writing and same tone to post.

Re: I would not agree with this diet at all... new
      #362300 - 11/30/10 06:01 PM
spdjnky

Reged: 11/30/10

Hi my name is Phil.I have IBS.In July I had a sub total colinocopy.My problem now is that I think I can't regulate my intestins I just don't feel good.

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 3822 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2893

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review