All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Eating yogurt with IBS and lactose intolerence
      #362007 - 11/11/10 11:27 PM
eagles20

Reged: 02/13/09
Loc: NJ/Philly area

Does anyone on here eat yogurt safely that has these problems? If so, may I ask what brand you use? I love eating flavored yogurt. Thank you all and thanks Heather for the site! I wanna get this under control once and for all and be happy in life.

--------------------
I suffer from anxiety, depression, IBS, and lactose intolerance. I think they are all related. If anyone has any suggestions or just want to talk, shoot me an email. I'd love to talk to people with similar symptoms, people who can understand what I am going through. I am also waiting for a kidney transplant. Thanks and God bless you all!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Eating yogurt with IBS and lactose intolerence new
      #362060 - 11/16/10 04:57 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

I used to use the Dannon Lite n Fit and using a lactaid pill with it. I was still having problems but was thinking it was something else I was eating. Recently, I have changed to StoneyFarm O'Soy yogurt. Believe it or not it works. I have been IBS-C and lactose intolerent for years and found by changing to the O'Soy yogurt and Soy milk it has relieved a lot of issues. Silk also has a soy yogurt that is ok, I just preferred the O'Soy better.

Good Luck

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

#362074 - 11/16/10 05:50 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Today on TV they were talking about what to do with lactose intolerance. they said some lactose intolerant people can handle yogurt only because the cultures counteracted the lactose, which is high in creamy, soft dairy products. That seems stupid to me. If you have digestive and lactose problems why eat the lactose only to rely on the cultures making it ok? It is better to eat foods that will help digestion not just sneak by. Plus a lot of yogurts have artificial sweeteners or HFCS. If you try soy yogurt, start with a little at a time or not many days per week, to see how you handle it.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#362075 - 11/16/10 05:54 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

I believe the cultures digests the lactose removing it from the yogurt making it tolerable by individuals with lactose intolerance.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#362079 - 11/17/10 03:02 AM
mradams1

Reged: 07/12/10

As I'm sure you're aware the EFI diet recommends excluding dairy from your diet, not just because of the lactose, but other problematic proteins (whey and casein) found in dairy products. You can make your own lactose-free yogurt reasonably easily. There are details how here, http://www.ibsfree.net/ibsfree_at_last/2009/11/make-your-own-lactosefree-yogurt.html

Best wishes

--------------------
IBS A. Managing my symptoms with the EFI/FODMAP diet and probiotics.

Yes, it does seem stupid! -nt- new
      #362086 - 11/17/10 03:24 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#362088 - 11/17/10 03:49 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

Ditto on the endorsement for O'Soy. My daughter isn't lactose intolerant, but in the worst days of IBS, O'Soy chocolate flavor was a lifesaver. (She couldn't eat the tiny bit of IF in the fruit flavors!)
kem (daughter w/ibs-d dx)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1982 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2804

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review