All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Fiber is not relieving my constipation
      #361538 - 10/19/10 05:59 PM
SARAH1

Reged: 10/19/10

I've been struggling with IBS-C for almost a year now. The hardest part for me is managing the constipation. I've learned the gas and bloating is much easier to handle if I've had a BM. The problem is I'm taking 8 TBS of Acacia fiber (4 TBS twice a day) and Miralax and I still can't manage. I have to visit the bathroom multiple time a day even in the middle of night only to have an incomplete BM. I end up having to use suppositories every few days and afterwards the scale shows I've lost 2-3 lbs. I'm miserable... I excercise regularly, not sure what else I can do....

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation new
      #361539 - 10/19/10 06:03 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

have you tried colace? that, along with fiber and a probiotic, have really helped me... it just softens things so that the fiber and exercise can move things along quicker...
hang in there, IBS C can be a long long road....

--------------------
IBS-A

#361540 - 10/19/10 06:19 PM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Here were my GI's recommendations for constipation - they may or may not be EFI-friendly but I think for the most part they are - assuming you are not fructose-sensitive
1. 1 citrus fruit per day (1 orange or 1/2 grapefruit)
2. 5-6 pieces dried fruit per day (dried pears, nectaries, figs, prunes, apricots)
3. 1 tbsp Benefiber twice a day (sounds like you have this covered with the acacia)
4. 8 glasses water per day
5. 1 glass PlumSmart juice at bedtime (very yummy, and contains probiotics)
These seemed to help me. I also find that sitting on the toilet with my feet propped on a stool and my thighs pressing into my abdomen helps stimulate my colon.

I also took Amitiza for a month, you might find that helpful as well.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#361548 - 10/20/10 05:54 AM
Fen

Reged: 03/01/08
Loc: Central NY

I was going to ask how much you are drinking. Water makes a HUGE difference in my constipation. The difference between drinking 7 glasses of water versus drinking 10 glasses of water is like night and day!

I also find that citrus fruit helps me, though I never understood why. And I've never heard anyone else say that citrus helps them "go." That's interesting that Renee21's GI doc recommended that.

--------------------
IBS-C

#361594 - 10/21/10 01:14 PM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

are you following the EFI diet?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

#361595 - 10/21/10 01:16 PM
CellSalts_Work

Are all these fruits, (very high in IF), not exacerbating your constipation and causing a lot of gas?

(what do you eat them with by the way? you don't eat them on their own, do you?)

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361600 - 10/21/10 04:21 PM
renee21

No, the fruits did not exacerbate my constipation. Yes, the dried fruit did give me more gas. I eventually stopped eating the dried fruit because I shifted from C to practically D. But now I am back to C again so I am thinking of going back on the dried fruit.

--------------------

#361619 - 10/22/10 05:08 AM
gas_tank

Reged: 08/25/10
Loc: Michigan

But what about all the added sugar in dried fruit? I can tolerate it but don't like all the added sugar and calories it has. I haven't found any that doesn't have alot of added sugar and I haven't tried doing my own. Any ideas?

IBS-C

--------------------
IBS-C 20+yrs with gas, bloating, knife sharpening pains during an attack

#361621 - 10/22/10 06:15 AM
CellSalts_Work

I just don't understand how it works then, or maybe it's the definition of IBS I'm not clear on, but anything with such a high amount of IF would seize my bowels up and that is why I think of myself as IBS-C.

BMs are easier/better/more likely in the morning, right? If I ate a little fruit on its own in the morning, I'd probably get C. If I ate a lot of fruit, esp dried fruit, I'd get D.

Later on in the day if I ate fruit, I'd get very painful cramps, spasms and C. Never dared eating a lot of fruit in the afternoon though and not going to start to experiment.

You still have not told me though, are you eating the fruit on its own?

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361626 - 10/22/10 07:54 AM
renee21

Maybe your IBS is different than my IBS. For me, fruit sugars act as a laxative. However I do have spasm after I go, so maybe that's because of the IF. I am hesitant to recommend anything because I am not stable. But I will say that once I adopted that regime from my doctor, I was able to have a very large BM every day.

I ate the orange at breakfast (with SF) and I ate the dried fruit as an afternoon snack with some almonds. So no, that was not the EFI way.

When you say "if i ate the fruit in the morning, I'd get C", you do realize that the colon is responding to food you ate yesterday, since it takes that amount of time to reach your large intestine. So if I eat dried fruit in the afternoon, it'll only determine the kind of BM I have the following day.

--------------------

#361628 - 10/22/10 08:35 AM
CellSalts_Work

Actually, as I understand it that is not at all how it works. In a healthy individual, the person eats IF and that moves the bowels within the next half an hour or so, depending on the individual. The BM is caused by the fibre (e.g. the fruit) even though the waste matter passed is not the fruit itself, as that needs to be digested and you have only just eaten it, but the BM is absolutely caused by the peristaltic movement unleashed by food eaten now. Back in the day when I was IBS-free I found that whenever I ate food with a high-IF content, ie fruits or wholemeal bread, I would need the loo within the next half an hour. (would have a beautiful bowel movement, no bloating, no pain. oh those were the days...)

Regarding definitions and all that, I always think of IBS as a condition when IF has too great an impact on your bowels either causing the digestive tract to seize up (C) or moving it immediately and too vigorously (D). (or it can be A) And there's bloating and spasms and all that.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation - Heather? new
      #361634 - 10/22/10 12:31 PM
renee21

Wow, that's interesting and very different from how I understood it. I agree that the act of eating a meal stimulates peristalsis, but I did not think that peristalsis was affected by whether the food eaten was IF or SF. Maybe Heather, you could clarify? Since I am C, I would really love to know if I am wrong about this.

--------------------

Edited by renee21 (10/22/10 12:33 PM)

#361637 - 10/22/10 01:00 PM
bermudakate

Reged: 11/06/07

have you thought about trying the hypnosis?? it has been amazing for me. letting go of a lot of stress was the most helpful thing...

--------------------
stable IBS-A

#361639 - 10/22/10 02:38 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

IF is a GI stimulate. SF isn't although some of the byproducts of fermentation of SF in the colon may be stimulants. GI stimulants can change peristalsis in the small intestine and colon. You can read what Heather says about it here

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361641 - 10/22/10 03:26 PM
renee21

Hmm. Well. I've been on this site for 6 years and this is news to me. If that is what Heather is telling us, it is not very clearly explained on that page about IF. The link says "Insoluble fiber, like fat, is a very powerful GI tract stimulant". But where is the proof that it stimulates the colon when you EAT it, not when it hits the gut? I am not saying I disbelieve this, only that it is not something I was familiar with, and it doesn't line up with my personal experence, either. For me, the effect of a food is felt the next day (except for the gas part). If I eat a fatty meal, about 24 hours later I will get my punishment in the form of a more forceful, looser BM and spasm. But I don't get the urge to go to the bathroom right after a fatty meal, or after a high-IF meal. Then again, maybe this is because I am for the most part a C, not a D.

--------------------

#361643 - 10/22/10 03:50 PM
Syl

The proof that the act of eating anything can trigger IBS symptoms is given by Heather in the explanation of the gastrocolic reflex. In these video interviews with Prof Whorwell an internationally recognized GI doc on the IFFGD gives more insights. He talks about the effects of eating and IBS in the interview "Diet, eating and IBS".

Some people feel the effects of some foods sooner or later than others. For me it is a 2-3 hours for IF and 40-70 minutes for fructose, sorbitol, FOS, etc. Fatty foods it is next day. IBS trisgger effects can occur from the time one starts eating through to the time fermentation of undigested food takes place in the colon. The range is from minutes to a day or two.

Research shows that while SF reduces gastric emptying time from the stomach to the small intestine IF doesn't. On the other hand IF decreases small intestine and colonic transit time. If you dig through the library and read some of the newsletters you may find more details.

Different foods and different fibers have different effects on different people.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#361646 - 10/23/10 01:59 AM
CellSalts_Work

It's nothing to do with C or D. I am C too but I certainly don't get the unwelcome symptoms IBS-unfriendly food induces merely the next day... I get them after a meal containing IBS-unfriendly ingredients. Sometimes within minutes/half an hour but definitely within a couple of hours and not the next day.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361651 - 10/23/10 06:21 AM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

Just goes to show how different we all are!
No wonder this is a tuff condition to get a handle on.....

--------------------
IBS-D

#361657 - 10/23/10 09:41 AM
renee21

Hi Syl, I wasn't disagreeing with the fact that the very act of eating stimulates the gastrocolic reflect, which is what the links you provided to Heather's site and Dr. Whorwell's video indicate. I experience that myself - when I eat, I feel it in my asending colon right away. I was just looking for some evidence that the SF/IF ratio affected the strength of peristalsis. Clearly, the people on this site find that it does for them, so I am not going to say that it doesn't. But it wasn't something I'd read in the literature. The link you provided to Whorwell says this:

Cramping and diarrhea
Certain foods are known to stimulate gut reactions in general. In those with IBS eating too much of these might bring about or worsen symptoms. For example symptoms of abdominal cramps and diarrhea might be brought on by...

•Meals that are too large or high in fat
•Fried foods
•Coffee
•Caffeine
•Alcohol

Again, no reference to meals high in IF. But I know that people on this site get "attacks" as soon as they eat a particular food, so I am not going to dispute that. It was just not a causative link I'd drawn in my own eating/symptoms, possibly because I almost always eat IF and SF together, as per the EFI rules.

--------------------

Edited by renee21 (10/23/10 09:42 AM)

#361659 - 10/23/10 10:05 AM
Syl

Hi Renee21, the EFI rules and IF are summarized on the insoluble fiber page in these sentences "One glance will tell you these insoluble fiber foods are the best (and tastiest) around, but your colon simply can't handle it if you eat them with abandon. You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines." And there is a more extensive discussion in this newsletter in the section on The Fifth Sneaky Sin of the IBS Diet where is says "insoluble fiber is a huge potential trigger". Throughout the web site and in her books Heather talks about the trigger effects of IF, particularly cereal bran, which can cause spasms resulting in D, C or A.

For some of us eating as much IF as possible means eating very little.

Glad to hear you have learned how to manage the IF/SF ratio to your satisfaction.

--------------------

#361661 - 10/23/10 10:12 AM
renee21

Hi Syl, I have by no means managed the IF/SF ratio to my satisfaction - I have not had a day of normalcy in the past 15 years. But the sentence you quoted above still does NOT indicate that IF acts as a trigger AS SOON AS YOU EAT IT, not when it reaches the colon. But listen, I don't want to turn this into a pissing match, and clearly every one else understood Heather's meaning but me. So consider me informed now.

--------------------

#361662 - 10/23/10 10:22 AM
Syl

IF begins it action as soon as it leaves the stomach and enters the small intestine. This is usually within 20-90 minutes depending on what is eaten. In the small intestine is acts to accelerate motility which for many of us it causes spasms and pain quickly. You are fortunate you don't have this problem. For some of us it is a real nuisance Have a great day!

--------------------

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation - Syl? new
      #361700 - 10/26/10 09:01 AM
gas_tank

I have been reading the posts on this issue and have a question on Syl's last response. Saturday morning I was feeling great and for lunch I ordered a turkey sandwhich, no cheese, on sourdough bread. After the first bite, have not even swallowed the food,I started feeling my intestines fill with gas and was gassy from that moment on. Does that mean I had to much IF in my sandwich or what? I had nothing else but that sandwich and my feeling good moment was gone.

IBS-C 20+

--------------------

#361702 - 10/26/10 09:33 AM
Syl

It is quite likely that you were experiencing the gastrocolic reflex. You can see more about eating producing GI spasms in the video interview with Prof. Whorwell titled Diet, eating and IBS

--------------------

#361703 - 10/26/10 09:40 AM
gas_tank

No kidding? Ok, I will take a look.

Thanks
IBS-C 20+

--------------------

#361704 - 10/26/10 10:37 AM
Syl

I has nothing to do with IF. It is caused simply by the act of eating

--------------------

#361713 - 10/27/10 10:21 AM
gas_tank

Of course, you can't get away from eating. That just makes this even worse to deal with. At least you can possibly avoid an issue by eliminating the triggers. That would mean there is no kind of diet to follow to prevent it and the only course of treatment is the hynotherapy?

Thanks
IBS-C 20+

--------------------

#361714 - 10/27/10 10:25 AM
Syl

I found a few months after I got all of the triggers out of my diet that the effects of the gastrocolic reflex where not nearly as strong. Hopefully, you may find the same thing. It is quite possible that gut directed hypnosis might work. You might ask on the hypnosis board.

--------------------

#361715 - 10/27/10 10:28 AM
gas_tank

Did you get gastrocolic reflex everytime you ate or only once in awhile? Have you tried the hypnosis?

IBS-C 20+

--------------------

#361717 - 10/27/10 10:42 AM
Syl

I use to get it all the time. Now it only happens once in a while. I have not tried the CDs Heather sells.

--------------------

Re: Fiber is not relieving my constipation / gastrocolic reflex new
      #361718 - 10/27/10 11:14 AM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

FYI, my daughter had triggering w/ gastrocolic reflex constantly for a while. (That was horrible!) Simplifying the diet, a la EFI, did calm it down VERY gradually. ITMT, she did the kids' version of the hypno and that seemed to help w/all her symptoms across the board. She's in the middle of a second round on the hypno program and continuing to improve. Haven't had the gastrocolic reflex thing in many months now and is able to eat some foods that were triggering in those bad old days (like in the summer!).
hth
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361719 - 10/27/10 11:29 AM
Syl

Indeed there are published reports that hypno works excellent for children and teenagers. The reports for adults are good too but not as good as for children/teenagers from the research I have read. Glad to hear your daughter is doing so well.

--------------------

Re: gastrocolic reflex / hypno new
      #361724 - 10/27/10 02:46 PM
kem

Thanks and yay!

Quote:

The reports for adults are good too but not as good as for children/teenagers from the research I have read.

Yes. Interesting that *even for adults* the research still indicates a vastly better response to the hypno than has been shown to any of the drugs currently prescribed for IBS . . . And my daughter's GI doc, for one, had never heard of hypno for IBS . . . messed up, messed up. A huge thank you to everyone here for spreading the word - this site is where I first heard of it!
kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

#361726 - 10/28/10 05:06 AM
gas_tank

Thanks Kem for your input. Glad to hear it works for your daughter. I will look further into the hypnotherapy and see if it helps.

IBS-C

--------------------

#361727 - 10/28/10 05:07 AM
gas_tank

Interesting. Did you do anything else other than eliminate the triggers to get it to ease up?

Thanks

IBS-C

--------------------

#361732 - 10/28/10 02:08 PM
CellSalts_Work

Apparently we are most susceptible to hypnosis at the age of 12.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361733 - 10/28/10 02:13 PM
CellSalts_Work

If you'll send a blank email to safo1611@gmail.com I then can send you a pdf file on hypnosis that may prove helpful. Just attended a course on stress relieving and self-hypnosis and there is a section there specifically on how to relieve IBS symptoms.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361734 - 10/28/10 02:29 PM
Syl

If the section on self-hypnosis for IBS isn't too long can you posted here for all to see? Maybe in a new thread

--------------------

#361736 - 10/28/10 04:49 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Hypnotherapy is not a cure, but for quite a few people it has been found to be extremely helpful - some folks have found it to be helpful as an adjunct to other treatments; many many others have found that it is the one thing that helped when all else failed.

Interesting to note - The IBS Audio Program which is the Adult and Teen Program, was exhibiteded at the IFFGD in 2005. This protocol was developed because the author, Michael Mahoney, was seeing patients with IBS back in 1991 who were not seeing the improvement they needed with conventional care. Dr. Whorwell was the 'father' of hypnosis for IBS, with his first published research done in 1984 in the Lancet. This protocol has been fine tuned over the years and is available only through an MD referral in hospitals or by therapists who are trained in it.

Michael's protocol was independently developed and fine-tuned over the years - and has shown a great deal of efficacy. Because patients initially were too ill with IBS to travel to his practice, he sent it to them on tape - this is how the program eventually became available to the public.

Never has it ever been touted as a cure - however there are INDEPENDENT articles referring to this process as a possible cure.

However, any hypnotherapy protocol for IBS needs to be gut-specific (as Mike's is) or gut-directed in order to be the most helpful.

Since Mike's program has been available to the public since 1998, there is quite a bit of independent review on it, and the positive reports are in the vast vast majority.

Adults CAN and do respond to hypnotherapy if it is properly done, and the protocol has been proven effective. Children may be more open to guided imagery initially because they have less experience researching as adults do. But this in no way takes away from the fact that gut-specific hypnotherapy is very effective with adults.

There have been at least 50 research studies showing its efficacy; yet gastroenterologists and physicians are unaware of this research because it is not widely taught as part of the treatment protocol, unless the physician is a part of a teaching/university hospital - then they are more aware of the research.

I have compiled some other research studies,

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=361735&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

as well as info on the research study results for IBS Audio Program.

http://www.helpforibs.com/shop/books/hypnoibs.asp

Look here -

http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=279867&page=0&view=expanded&sb=5&o=&fpart=

and scroll down for 'success' comments from Constipation and Alternating users.

If you have specific questions regarding the program you can also call 877-898-2539 for information.

You can read about my journey below.

I have had the honor to speak with hundreds of IBS patients over the years, and there are a lot of common threads that we share as patients. But there is hope, no matter what way forward that you need to go - I did this as a very last resort, and so have most of the people I have talked to, and most of Michael's patients as well.

By the time most people try this method, they are already burnt out, frustrated and have had years and years of failure and added symptoms - if you recall back to before you had IBS, and then the first few episodes, you were optimistic in going to the doc and getting "it" taken care of; fast forward to years of meds, diets, supplements, etc not helping you, and you are adding the anxiety, depression, and all the rest of it on top of the gut symptoms.

Most youngsters havent had IBS as long, so they are not imprinted with as much as an adult who has had it for years.

There is hope... do feel free to ask me - and since this is the Eating board, we can have a thread over in the proper hypno forum if you wish as well.

All the best in your journey to feeling better, no matter how you take that journey...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

good luck w/it and w/everything! - nt new
      #361740 - 10/28/10 08:20 PM
kem

#361746 - 10/29/10 06:56 AM
CellSalts_Work

And I would agree that it's not a cure. It can help tremendously though. I think it's like medication for a chronic illness. Except it's the best medication available as you are not taking anything. But once you stop, symptoms may come back. (as has happened to me) Using self-hypnosis is more of a lifestyle choice instead of a remedy.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,

#361748 - 10/29/10 09:18 AM
Syl

Quote:

however there are INDEPENDENT articles referring to this process as a possible cure

I am curious. Are you referring to the announcement by Vlieger who where claimed hypnotherapy was cure for children with IBS at Digestive Disease Week 2007 ? If no which independent reports are you referring too?

--------------------

#361749 - 10/29/10 01:02 PM
Marilyn

Yes. That, and comments containing indirect references TO that article. While the use of the term "cure" is encouraging, and there have been numerous cases where individuals I have talked to have walked away entirely from their IBS and related symptoms after using the IBS Audio Program, Michael Mahoney, author of the program, has never ever referred to his protocol as a "cure."

Just as gastroenterologists do not refer to any of their treatment protocols, medications, etc. as cures either. In fact, most GIs go down the list of meds, trial and error - over years - to find the one that 'works.'

Yet, the research shows, as well as my experience with speaking to patients that have used the program, or are in-person patients of Michael's, that they are not only able to 'manage' IBS, but do in fact, eliminate symptoms for the vast majority of folks who use the program - and again - this is after all other treatments have proven to be ineffective, short-term, or not addressing symptoms satisfactorily to the patient. Some may need to repeat the program a time or two, as I did, others get relief right away, and others may have it help along with other things.

So this is something that has truly provided hope for those who may not have had your success with the FODMAP approach, the cellsalts or other approaches.

And, it may be noted that even when diet or food issues, intolerences, etc. have been addressed, there are some for whom the brain-gut connection lingers - situational or other triggers, and the hypnotherapy takes care of that.

And there are still many many others - the majority of which, who are able to not have any dietary restrictions whatsoever after completion of the program. And they are off the meds as well.

Everyone needs to find their way - what works for one may not work for another. Hypnotherapy is almost always a last resort - very rarely do I speak with a person who tries this first. Only one time that comes to mind, and it saved them a lot of time searching for something else; worked right up front.

And since IBS can co-exist with other conditions, this can enter the mix as well.

Most people who use the program successfully move on. This is because IBS is no longer a part of their life, they no longer need the BB for support, and of course the downside of this is that few successful users of the IBS Audio Program from the past are not here to continually report their success and provide encouragement. And of course, I actually tell them to keep away from reading about IBS while doing the program. We only research and read about things that are still a part of our lives; once addressed, most people move on with their lives because they have literally 'forgotten' about their past condition! It just is not a part of their concern any longer.

It's great that folks like you share what works for them - we are all in this together trying to help those who are suffering!

And to other readers...All the best in finding the journey to healing that is best for you...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#361751 - 10/29/10 02:03 PM
Syl

Here is something you may find interesting. After that announcement by at DDW Vlieger and colleagues published their findings in 2007 in the peer-reviewed journal Gastroenterology. There was no mention of hypnotherapy being a cure. It was definitely shown to be highly effective.

Recently they reported the findings of a five year follow up on the 52 children used in the original study in a Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition journal. They found "The effects of gut-directed hypnotherapy are long lasting in children with FAP or IBS with two thirds still in remission 5 years after treatment."

Thirty-three percent of the children fell out of remission. While hypnotherapy is an excellent tool it appears it shouldn't be called a cure just yet.

References
Vlieger, A. M., Menko-Frankenhuis, C., Wolfkamp, S. C. S., Tromp, E. & Benninga, M. A. Hypnotherapy for Children With Functional Abdominal Pain or Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Gastroenterology 133, 1430-1436 (2007)

Vlieger, A. M., Frankenhuis, C., Govers, A. & Benninga, M. A. Hypnotherapy for Children with Functional Abdominal Pain or Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Long Term Follow-Up. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 50, E4-E5 (2010)

--------------------

#361752 - 10/29/10 02:20 PM
Marilyn

Yep - but with 67% still doing OK after 5 years that still holds a pretty positive review overall.

And of course, who is to say that those not still in remission could not still be better if they sought out further sessions as a top-up or follow-up. New stressors, new schools, etc. If it worked before it could work again - took me three rounds!! LOL

--------------------

Marilyn new
      #361759 - 10/29/10 04:20 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Marilyn, I absolutely call it a cure. It doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about that statement. For me, it was a cure and I am not a child! It works for adults also, and I have had IBS for a very, very long time.

You know more than anyone about this, since you have worked so closely with Mike. I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and lending my voice to Mike's work. YOU are the most knowledgeable person on these boards on this issue, and I am sure that is why Heather uses you on the hyno board.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing your immense knowledge on the subject, since I am sure you help others every day, adult or child.

By the way, some give up too soon. I have done three rounds and that is when everything fell into place for me. I say, don't give up too soon. Give it the time it needs to work. It is well worth it!

Yep - it's by far the closest anything has ever come to a cure - nt- new
      #361760 - 10/29/10 04:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Gerikat new
      #361763 - 10/29/10 10:06 PM
Marilyn

Awwww, Gerikat, thanks muchly for your kind words - they mean a lot- It was indeed an honor and privilege working with you and Mike sends his appreciation to you and his kindest regards. And it is my pleasure to speak with so many people - I do hope that I am able to impart some hope to them! Thanks again, so much. You MADE my day!!!

--------------------

"by far" is right! new
      #361764 - 10/29/10 11:27 PM
kem

For the sake of the newly diagnosed or anyone who hasn't looked into it yet, I think that point really can't be made vigorously enough . . .

Referencing the 2010 study (Vlieger, et. al.), it was noted that:
Quote:

Thirty-three percent of the children fell out of remission.

I realize that this was part of a discussion of the term "cure," but I nevertheless find it most important to note that in the comparison group receiving standard medical treatment *eighty percent* fell out of remission!

!

OK - that's not even close!!

In the researchers' own words:

Quote:

. . . hypnotherapy was still highly
superior to conventional therapy . . .

Having actually tried both with my daughter's 'severe' case, I can't stop myself from also adding that it's just an unbelievable bonus that the "highly superior" therapy also happens to be the one that costs less and has no potential (negative) side effects. Wow. I know I thought I was reading it wrong when I first saw that!

kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1722 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28488

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review