All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
Re: gastrocolic reflex / hypno new
      #361746 - 10/29/10 06:56 AM
CellSalts_Work

Reged: 08/15/10

And I would agree that it's not a cure. It can help tremendously though. I think it's like medication for a chronic illness. Except it's the best medication available as you are not taking anything. But once you stop, symptoms may come back. (as has happened to me) Using self-hypnosis is more of a lifestyle choice instead of a remedy.

--------------------
Susie, born in 1985,
(pseudo-)D and bloating April 2007-December 2010, now stable

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

#361748 - 10/29/10 09:18 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Quote:

however there are INDEPENDENT articles referring to this process as a possible cure

I am curious. Are you referring to the announcement by Vlieger who where claimed hypnotherapy was cure for children with IBS at Digestive Disease Week 2007 ? If no which independent reports are you referring too?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361749 - 10/29/10 01:02 PM
Marilyn

Reged: 05/02/03

Yes. That, and comments containing indirect references TO that article. While the use of the term "cure" is encouraging, and there have been numerous cases where individuals I have talked to have walked away entirely from their IBS and related symptoms after using the IBS Audio Program, Michael Mahoney, author of the program, has never ever referred to his protocol as a "cure."

Just as gastroenterologists do not refer to any of their treatment protocols, medications, etc. as cures either. In fact, most GIs go down the list of meds, trial and error - over years - to find the one that 'works.'

Yet, the research shows, as well as my experience with speaking to patients that have used the program, or are in-person patients of Michael's, that they are not only able to 'manage' IBS, but do in fact, eliminate symptoms for the vast majority of folks who use the program - and again - this is after all other treatments have proven to be ineffective, short-term, or not addressing symptoms satisfactorily to the patient. Some may need to repeat the program a time or two, as I did, others get relief right away, and others may have it help along with other things.

So this is something that has truly provided hope for those who may not have had your success with the FODMAP approach, the cellsalts or other approaches.

And, it may be noted that even when diet or food issues, intolerences, etc. have been addressed, there are some for whom the brain-gut connection lingers - situational or other triggers, and the hypnotherapy takes care of that.

And there are still many many others - the majority of which, who are able to not have any dietary restrictions whatsoever after completion of the program. And they are off the meds as well.

Everyone needs to find their way - what works for one may not work for another. Hypnotherapy is almost always a last resort - very rarely do I speak with a person who tries this first. Only one time that comes to mind, and it saved them a lot of time searching for something else; worked right up front.

And since IBS can co-exist with other conditions, this can enter the mix as well.

Most people who use the program successfully move on. This is because IBS is no longer a part of their life, they no longer need the BB for support, and of course the downside of this is that few successful users of the IBS Audio Program from the past are not here to continually report their success and provide encouragement. And of course, I actually tell them to keep away from reading about IBS while doing the program. We only research and read about things that are still a part of our lives; once addressed, most people move on with their lives because they have literally 'forgotten' about their past condition! It just is not a part of their concern any longer.

It's great that folks like you share what works for them - we are all in this together trying to help those who are suffering!

And to other readers...All the best in finding the journey to healing that is best for you...

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

#361751 - 10/29/10 02:03 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Here is something you may find interesting. After that announcement by at DDW Vlieger and colleagues published their findings in 2007 in the peer-reviewed journal Gastroenterology. There was no mention of hypnotherapy being a cure. It was definitely shown to be highly effective.

Recently they reported the findings of a five year follow up on the 52 children used in the original study in a Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition journal. They found "The effects of gut-directed hypnotherapy are long lasting in children with FAP or IBS with two thirds still in remission 5 years after treatment."

Thirty-three percent of the children fell out of remission. While hypnotherapy is an excellent tool it appears it shouldn't be called a cure just yet.

References
Vlieger, A. M., Menko-Frankenhuis, C., Wolfkamp, S. C. S., Tromp, E. & Benninga, M. A. Hypnotherapy for Children With Functional Abdominal Pain or Irritable Bowel Syndrome: A Randomized Controlled Trial. Gastroenterology 133, 1430-1436 (2007)

Vlieger, A. M., Frankenhuis, C., Govers, A. & Benninga, M. A. Hypnotherapy for Children with Functional Abdominal Pain or Irritable Bowel Syndrome: Long Term Follow-Up. Journal of Pediatric Gastroenterology and Nutrition 50, E4-E5 (2010)

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#361752 - 10/29/10 02:20 PM
Marilyn

Yep - but with 67% still doing OK after 5 years that still holds a pretty positive review overall.

And of course, who is to say that those not still in remission could not still be better if they sought out further sessions as a top-up or follow-up. New stressors, new schools, etc. If it worked before it could work again - took me three rounds!! LOL

--------------------
My Journey and Success with the IBS Audio Program Hypnotherapy Program: www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=hypnotherapy&Number=224850

Marilyn new
      #361759 - 10/29/10 04:20 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Marilyn, I absolutely call it a cure. It doesn't matter to me what anyone else thinks about that statement. For me, it was a cure and I am not a child! It works for adults also, and I have had IBS for a very, very long time.

You know more than anyone about this, since you have worked so closely with Mike. I thoroughly enjoyed working with you and lending my voice to Mike's work. YOU are the most knowledgeable person on these boards on this issue, and I am sure that is why Heather uses you on the hyno board.

Keep up the good work and keep sharing your immense knowledge on the subject, since I am sure you help others every day, adult or child.

By the way, some give up too soon. I have done three rounds and that is when everything fell into place for me. I say, don't give up too soon. Give it the time it needs to work. It is well worth it!

Yep - it's by far the closest anything has ever come to a cure - nt- new
      #361760 - 10/29/10 04:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Gerikat new
      #361763 - 10/29/10 10:06 PM
Marilyn

Awwww, Gerikat, thanks muchly for your kind words - they mean a lot- It was indeed an honor and privilege working with you and Mike sends his appreciation to you and his kindest regards. And it is my pleasure to speak with so many people - I do hope that I am able to impart some hope to them! Thanks again, so much. You MADE my day!!!

--------------------

"by far" is right! new
      #361764 - 10/29/10 11:27 PM
kem

Reged: 06/09/10

For the sake of the newly diagnosed or anyone who hasn't looked into it yet, I think that point really can't be made vigorously enough . . .

Referencing the 2010 study (Vlieger, et. al.), it was noted that:
Quote:

Thirty-three percent of the children fell out of remission.

I realize that this was part of a discussion of the term "cure," but I nevertheless find it most important to note that in the comparison group receiving standard medical treatment *eighty percent* fell out of remission!

!

OK - that's not even close!!

In the researchers' own words:

Quote:

. . . hypnotherapy was still highly
superior to conventional therapy . . .

Having actually tried both with my daughter's 'severe' case, I can't stop myself from also adding that it's just an unbelievable bonus that the "highly superior" therapy also happens to be the one that costs less and has no potential (negative) side effects. Wow. I know I thought I was reading it wrong when I first saw that!

kem (daughter w/ibs-d)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 790 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 28821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review