All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Tuna everyday- too much mercury?
      #360620 - 08/27/10 10:50 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Hey guys

I moved into my college dorm three days ago. The dining hall food is less than stellar. I've been eating a lot of vegetables, cold cut, tuna, eggs & whites, and oatmeal. I have a few more choices to explore, especially in tofu and beans, but the "regular" food is terrible

Since my choices are so limited, how bad is it to have some tuna everyday?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Canned pink tuna will be lower in mercury than canned albacore, if that helps a bit. new
      #360621 - 08/27/10 11:50 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Also, you can get canned salmon that's pretty much the same price as tuna, and delicious, and you can sub it in any recipe where you'd use canned tuna. It doesn't have the mercury issue.

There are other canned fish to try as well, such as sardines and anchovies. They can be an acquired taste, but they're really delicious mashed up into things like pasta sauces and spreads for bruschetta.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Check item #2 in the FDA ... new
      #360623 - 08/27/10 12:21 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

advisory on methylmercury in fish.

Do you have a small rice cooker and crockpot? You can prepare great meals with them in a dorm room --- oatmeal, chicken stew, chicken sausages and beans, ......

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Check item #2 in the FDA ... new
      #360665 - 08/29/10 08:38 AM
mcem222

I don't
the issue with preparing food in my dorm is that Id have to get dishes and start washing them and it might just get complicated

Anyway, I'm a little disappointing with college food. I toured the dining hall during the summer, and the person in charge told me things that simply haven't been true (e.g. "different bean every day," "taste of home food station"). Who knows, maybe later in the year

Anyway, I have to go exploring in town to look for places to buy food. I do have a refrigerator. Also, theres always a bean, lentils, tofu, and hummus. I'm scared from hummus, because I've had terrible experiences, but I'm starting to eat beans and lentils

#360669 - 08/29/10 03:54 PM
Syl

"get dishes and start washing them"

How about recyclable & disposable paper plates and utensils such as chop sticks?

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#360670 - 08/29/10 04:29 PM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I went through the whole eating at college thing and it was extremely difficult for me. I did the best I could but I spent a lot of time feeling either sick or stressed out about if what I was eating was going to make me sick. Since you just began school, I think it would be great to get in to good eating habits now. I would highly recommend spending a day a week preparing your own food and then storing it in your refrigerator if you can. When I started doing that my junior year I began feeling and looking much better. I know its annoying and a hassle but it's really worth the trouble. Have fun at school!

#360724 - 09/01/10 09:05 AM
mcem222

You know, paper is not a bad idea

the cafeteria actually has these plastic containers which are used for "take out." Basically, I'm smuggling food out of them so instead of two meals a day, I'm getting four. I know, its stealing, but I figure with my eating concerns, its worth it

Also, a semi-related question. I've been having a lot of beans, because with limited options, I need to find a healthy food. I've been taking beano, and it works well to keep the gas that comes with beans away. Will I eventually build up a tolerance while on beano or will I become "dependent"?

Edited by mcem222 (09/01/10 09:07 AM)

#360726 - 09/01/10 10:14 AM
Syl

Beans contain a sugar called raffinose a trisaccharide composed of galactose, fructose, and glucose. The human body doesn't make an enzyme capable of breaking raffinose down. Beano contains the enzyme alpha-D-galactosidase which is capable of breaking raffinose down into its component sugars. You won't build up a tolerance to Beano.

Yea - go for the paper plates AND enjoy the beans -- they are really healthy!

--------------------

#360731 - 09/01/10 05:03 PM
mcem222

I am enjoying the beans- theyre delicious!

But that wasn't exactly my question. I've read that, even though your body doesnt make the enzyme, if you slowly start to eat beans, it will start to make the enzyme on its own. So I'm wondering if my body will eventually start to make the enzyme even if I'm also taking it as beano

#360732 - 09/01/10 06:31 PM
Syl

Enzymes are proteins that are manufactured by cells under the direction of the information encoded in the genes. The human body doesn't have the genetic information turned on needed to make the enzyme and eating beans won't turn it on. However, raffinose is fermented by colonic bacteria that can digest it. So it is possible that by eating lots of beans you will increase the number of bacteria that can ferment raffinose which could be a good thing. Could result in more beans and less beano!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
1 registered and 1761 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4243

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review