All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Another Fiber related question, along with a few other questions...
      #360 - 02/03/03 04:40 PM
Leanne01

Reged: 02/03/03

I am new to IBS-C, I have only been taking Zelnorm for a couple of weeks and I haven't gotten around to ordering Heather's book yet, but I plan to soon. I don't suffer from the stomach pain, altho I get gassy/bloated. In the morning I like to eat Cheerios, and whenever I do eat them, I get gassy/bloated and I have to take Phasyme. I have also taken activated charcoal. Also, when I eat a Nature Vally granola bar in the morning, i get a little gassy, and I was just wondering if there is something else I should take so I don't get gassy/bloated whenever I eat these foods? Also, fruits make me this way. Occasionally I wil drink Apple or Orange juice, to get away from the water because I get tired of drinking water. Also, does anybody here drink 8 glasses of water a day? I try but its hard. I think the milk may hurt my stomach too but I have never had soy milk, is it any good? Also, how much fiber is too much fiber? Should I eat alot of fiber for breakfast, lunch and dinner? I'm afraid if I do that, I will get so gassy/bloated I will be absolutely miserable. I work 40 hours a week and 8 hours a day and I'm trying to fit this IBS thing into my schedule and it hasn't been easy. Also, I love salads, and in the past lettuce has given me diarrhea sometimes, should I eliminate lettuce completely? I love pasta and I have been eating quite a bit of pasta, is there any fiber in it? I take 2 citracel everyday and I take my Zelnorm twice a day. I'm sorry if I'm asking too many questions, but I'm new to this and I need some advice. I get depressed sometimes because I have this. I'm 30 years old, never been married, and I still want to have a social life.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another Fiber related question, along with a few other questions... new
      #363 - 02/03/03 05:31 PM
rosemary

Reged: 01/29/03

Leanne01:
What works for me re my daily fibre intake is to introduce it slowly. My research tells me that the ideal amount is between 30 and 40 grams per day but if I have previously had very little, say around 10 g/d, then it is no good suddenly jumping to 35 g/d. The bowel just goes into shock and refuses to work at all. Consequently I try to keep track of what I eat and ensure at least 25 g/d. My Calorie and Fat Counter booklet has become a close friend!!
Breakfast of stewed fruit with yoghurt and perhaps a tablespoon full of organic Golden Flaxseed Meal I find is a good compromise. Also cool, but not cold, ginger tea works wonders for settling the stomach. It's easy, sliced fresh ginger root, to your taste, and hot water. Let it steep for 5 minutes or so. Peppermint tea is also good as are peppermint oil capsules.
I have trained myself over the years to drink my 8 glasses of water per day. Again, it took time for the body to adjust but in the end it did. Recently I found out what is considered to be the correct amount of fluid/water per day. Up to 25 degrees celsius it is 2 litres per day and after that for every 5 degrees another 1/2 litre so at 35 degrees it's 3 litres, and so forth. From memory, I think 100 degrees fahrenheit is about 37 degrees celsius, you'll need to look this up if you're not in Australia like me.
Cows milk is a no no for me, causes bloating, etc.. However, I have been using soy milk for years and its fine so give it a go and see how it is for you. I find a little cheese is OK and if I'm really having trouble some freshly grated parmesan gives the flavour with little of the fat and consequent side effects.
It is imperetive to have a well balanced diet for long term health but this is not easy with IBS. It is possible to achieve and Heather's recipe book is a good place to start. I have found it very helpful for ways of incorporating a wide range of foods. When I was first diagnozed I was told to fast for four days and then reintroduce one food at a time to find out which ones caused adverse reactions. Drastic, yes, but I was desperate and in the end I was able to adjust my diet so now I can eat and drink most things if I am careful.
I hope all this helps and I wish you well.
Cheers,
Rosie

#368 - 02/03/03 09:16 PM
KinOz

Reged: 02/02/03
Loc: Brisbane, Australia

Hi, I really feel for you. I too have IBS-c and it can be very depressing and it easy to want to ask why me? I do it all the time. I think the first thing you need to do is adjust your diet. I urge you to order Heather's books - they really helped me. As far as fiber goes you need to make sure you are basing every meal and snack on soluble fiber (eg. white bread, rice, pasta, oatmeal, potato etc. There is a whole heap of info on this in Heather's books but I would be happy to answer any more questions from what I have learnt. I think you should give dairy, red meats, fatty foods a huge swerve as they have never done me any good. Soy is wonderful, it might take a bit of getting used to at first but it's great. Also, I have found walking and yoga to be really beneficial as well. I also drink only water or herbal tea. It seems hard making all these changes at first but it really helps.
Good Luck!
Kerrie

--------------------
What lies behind us and what lies before us are tiny matters compared to what lies within us.

#369 - 02/03/03 09:26 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

hey!

first of all, you definitely should read heather's book(s) and i think there's diet information on her main website, too. www.eatingforibs.com

pasta is definitely good... it's got soluable fiber the "happy for IBS" kind of fiber. some of those other foods you mentioned irritate you because they are mainly insoluable fiber, which is good for you, but you have to be careful with them when you have IBS (LOTS of info about this in the books... probably the most important thing i've learned so far is the difference between soluable and insoluable and how to eat both)

dairy is something i dearly miss, being born and raised in wisconsin, the dairy state. but i quickly got used to soy milk and cheese and now regular milk tastes strange to me if i ever taste it. with most subsitutions, i try to remember it won't taste exactly the same, so then i don't have expectations and don't get disappointed if it doesn't taste the same. soy milk tastes good, but it's different than cow's milk a little in taste, color, and texture. and it's good for you. so that keeps me motivated too :-)

welcome to the messageboards! get those books ASAP. they will help you a lot.

Beth

#383 - 02/04/03 01:24 PM
Drv

Reged: 02/04/03

Hi, as far as soy milk goes, I use it on my cereal all the time now ever since my last attack. Getting away from regular milk really helped. Soy milk is actually tasty too!!! I am also new to this site and looks like I'm one of the few males!!!

#394 - 02/04/03 04:01 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

As far as i know, Cheerios are a no-no. Try Crispix or Corn Flakes or Rice Krispies. Cheerios are made of whole grain oats. Might explain the bloating.
Once you get used to the aftertaste of Soy milk, it's AOK. Try Silk brand Chocolate - it's amazing.
Fruit juices are highly acidic - most likely the gas culprit. Switch to Cranberry - most IBSers can tolerate it. Just make sure it's only Cranberry juice - they like to sneak in grape and apple. Read the labels.
I find green salads tough, too. I love them. Eat a VERY small salad at the END of a meal (after you've had some soluble fiber).
I would also encourage you to have a good dose of soluble fiber for breakfast (ie. rice crispies and soy milk), plain white toast, to stabilize your stomach for the day.
Fennel tea, as well as peppermint are known for their anti-bloating qualities. You could give them a try, too. Take care.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Here is a great source of info for your questions... new
      #399 - 02/04/03 05:55 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there - Before you focus on specific foods, it's really helpful to understand how cateogories of foods affect your GI tract and help or hurt IBS. Please read through the information here http://www.firstyearibs.com/day3learn.html
and you should get a really good grasp of soluble vs. insoluble fiber and some other basic dietary facts for IBS.

There is also information there about dairy (and why it's a trigger - you definitely want to choose soy milk instead) and fructose/fruit sugar which also seems to be affecting you.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#460 - 02/06/03 07:20 AM
sek

Loc: Virginia, USA

Are there no rice milk fans out there?! I use Rice Dream on my cereal in the morning and find that it doesn't taste much different than regular milk. Really it kind of just doesn't have any taste.

#483 - 02/06/03 06:33 PM
juniorrachel

Loc: St. Louis, MO

i just bought my first carton of Rice Dream this week... up till now i had been mostly going with soy milk.

I really like Rice Dream, but I do still have soy in my fridge, too, because of the high protein content.

But YAY for rice milk. I'm a fan. tastes good (vanilla flavored anyway) ;-)

Beth

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 521 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5169

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review