All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Getting Back On Heather's Diet
      #359117 - 06/07/10 05:34 PM
littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10

I have been having a really difficult time getting back on Heather's diet.

When I was diagnosed with IBS in 2007 it was easy to let go of all the foods that make me sick. I had my first major attack and spent the weekend in the hospital. I never wanted to feel that way again.

But after a couple of months on Heather's diet, I couldn't resist all the fixings at Thanksgiving dinner. I fell off the wagon, and never got back on.

I really want to get back on Heather's diet. When I did it in 2007 I lost 20 pounds and felt healthier than ever! My skin changed. I even smelled different! But most importantly - my IBS symptoms were gone.

But even though I have an attack every month or two that makes me feel like my body is splitting in two, I just can't get back on the diet.

Has anyone had this problem? Any advice about how to ease into it or what foods to eat to transition from my current way of eating back into Heather's?

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Getting Back On Heather's Diet new
      #359118 - 06/07/10 06:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It may be easier than you think. You might want to post what things are most challenging to you and what your average diet is like.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You could try and pin point why ... new
      #359133 - 06/08/10 09:05 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

you are having dificuties with sticking to the diet. Getting back on EFI would be easier once you've identified your challenges.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

I don't understand new
      #359155 - 06/09/10 05:53 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Why are you on Amitiza if you have diarrhea? Amitiza is for constipation?

Re: I don't understand new
      #359188 - 06/09/10 08:07 PM
littleestrella2

Reged: 06/07/10

I made a mistake. I am actually IBS-C. I am going to change my profile now. Thanks for pointing it out!

--------------------
Diagnosed IBS-C 2007
Medications: Amitiza

#359280 - 06/14/10 07:50 PM
CC

Reged: 02/19/08
Loc: Boston, MA

I have had the exact problem. I went on the diet in January 2008, and I stuck to it STRICTLY - it was four months before I even had a corner of a brownie. For about six months it was fantastic, I had virtually no pains or diarrhea, it was like my life changed. I also lost about 15 pounds. But then I started "cheating" more and more often, and for awhile I still didn't have problems - I think my gut had stabilized. But eventually it caught up with me. For the last year or so I've been stuck in that cycle of "on - off" where I will get stabilized and then lose my resolve and start eating yogurt or something, and then start having problems. I think it was realizing that I could sometimes eat bad things without consequences. Luckily, I've been doing better for the last few months. Sometimes it's tough, but I just have to keep reminding myself how much better I feel when I follow the diet to the letter.

#359287 - 06/15/10 10:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

If you're at this point, try to pinpoint what you are most likely to cheat with (brownies?) and focus on making IBS-safe versions of them. This can actually be really easy to do with a lot of popular trigger foods (such as brownies).

That way you're not feeling deprived, but also not getting sick.
- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1166 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2738

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review