All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Marijuna and IBS
      #359092 - 06/05/10 08:51 PM
BQE

Reged: 06/05/10

Is it pretty much a foregone conclusion that Marijuna is the opposite of alcohol for IBS?
Instead of being a trigger, if anything Marijuna is beinign or a helpful agent for IBS symptoms?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Marijuna and IBS new
      #359093 - 06/06/10 05:35 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Check the Marijuana and IBS in Heather's newsletter. And the two medical references in this message

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#359105 - 06/06/10 09:21 PM
BQE

The studies you quoted indicated relief for pain, but does it help for symtoms such as diarahha, constipation, alternating, and bloating?

#359106 - 06/07/10 05:45 AM
Syl

I believe besides pain both medical articles indicate cannabinoids play an anti-inflammatory role and a role in gastric emptying, peptic acid production, enteric motility, acetylcholine release, peristalsis, and cholinergic and non-adrenergic non-cholinergic contractions of smooth muscle of the GI tract. All of these are involved in GI disorders. These effects are mediated at the brain level as well as in the GI tract. Endocannabinoids play a role in the brain and the gut fitting into the 'brain and the gut dysfunction' model.

The second medical article says that the endocannabinoid system may represents a promising new therapeutic target against different GI disorders, inflammatory bowel diseases and functional bowel diseases such as IBS and secretion and motility disorders.

Understanding of the role of cannabinoids in the GI tract is a relatively new research area that is still evolving. Generally speaking it appears that cannabinoids may play a range of roles in GI disorders and their symptoms not just a role in modulation of pain.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#359167 - 06/09/10 09:57 AM
wizard41681

Reged: 05/13/10
Loc: texas

I am not siding with this one way or the other but I will say that I have known it to relieve all symptoms of my IBS. Again I am not saying go get blazed but there are times that it has helped me when I had a really bad round of cramping. I never tried it until I read an article about how it was used to relieve menstruation cramps a long time ago. I figured a cramp is a cramp right. So I talked to my doc and he said that while he could not officially say to it might be worth a try. It is not legal in my state so he won't say do it. I have bad reaction to most oral pain meds. His thought was that it has no known side effects other than being arrested lol and it will not make you any less disconnected than a strong muscle relaxer. That is all I am saying on the issue and to each his own.

--------------------
IBS-D with gas

#359177 - 06/09/10 12:47 PM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Hey Syl! Hope you are well. I'm going to be honest here. I've done alot of research on medical marijuanna and have decided to give it a try. For the past week I've been using it (evenings only after kids are in bed...and I smoke outside). I have to say that along with my Acacia and sticking to the diet I have felt better than I have in 2 years. I don't notice a difference in my bloating but as far as my D goes - I've actually had solid BM's every AM for 3 days...not sure if it's a coincidence or what but I'm def. going to continue and see if it helps...

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#359205 - 06/10/10 01:02 PM
Syl

I am doing fine. I always feel much better when the days are longer and warmer. I have seen many interesting anecdotal comments supporting your observations. There was an on-line questionnaire about marijuana and IBS that Heather directed us to last year. It will be interesting to see what they find. I wonder if they will notify Heather when they have some results.

--------------------

#359206 - 06/10/10 01:24 PM
jhuggs

Let's hope that they do. I would be interested in seeing who else has benefited from it as well...I know Shawneric has from reading his posts.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

#359379 - 06/21/10 06:43 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

I can say that before I knew what I had, I knew that smoking marijuana absolutely helped my abdominal pain AND was the only thing that helped me go. (I am a C). While I don't use it now there was a time when it was an absolute lifesaver for me.

#359405 - 06/22/10 06:22 PM
BQE

I'd like to know if it has helped people with bloating and trapped gas.

#359461 - 06/24/10 04:29 PM
taroh73

Reged: 12/28/04
Loc: chicago, il

For me, it helped EVERY symptom... including the bloat and gas, because it totally stimulated peristalsis (for me at least) and the bloat/gas move!

#359464 - 06/24/10 10:34 PM
BQE

Nice...nice

#359470 - 06/25/10 07:55 AM
jhuggs

It def. helps w/my D - sometimes even stops me up for a day or so but I've noticed that it doesn't help me with my bloating.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

how do you get it? new
      #359474 - 06/25/10 08:21 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I've always have wanted to try this for my IBS, but I have no idea how or from whom, I would get it from.

Re: how do you get it? new
      #359476 - 06/25/10 11:21 AM
jhuggs

You'd be surprised how many people smoke. Ordinary normal everyday people - I'm a professional and know others in my same field that smoke. My sister is an RN and is also an advocate for the many medicinal uses of marijuanna. I would start by asking close friends/family - I'm sure someone would know how to come by some. I have a good friend and that's how I get mine.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Marijuana/Hemp Oil new
      #359505 - 06/28/10 06:59 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Would enteric coated Marijuana/Hemp Oil capsules help for ibs?

Dr. Weil:

http://www.ratical.org/renewables/TherapHoil.html

Cheers.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

Re: Marijuana/Hemp Oil new
      #359506 - 06/28/10 07:07 AM
Syl

While hemp oil has some great healthy ingredients such as lots of omega-3 fatty acids it does not contain the active ingredient ( THC ) found in the marijuana plant resin that helps manage IBS symptoms.

--------------------

#359507 - 06/28/10 07:58 AM
capricorn1942

If marijuana oil was in enteric capsules, would this help with ibs - delivering the oil directly to the small intestine/colon (like heather's peppermint oil) or does the thc, cbd and cbn need to enter the blood stream (via the lungs) to have a beneficial effect?

This may be a real possibility here in Ca. come Nov. if legalization is voted in.

Cheers.

--------------------

#359508 - 06/28/10 08:25 AM
Syl

Yes - THC is the active ingredient found in the flower resin. It is needed to modulate the cannabinoid receptors which are found in the gut and brain. THC effects these receptors by entering the blood streaming via the lungs or through ingestion. Unfortunately, hemp oil which is extracted from the seeds does not contain THC and therefore it will not effect the cannabinoid receptors even if it is enteric coated.

--------------------

Marijuana Oil new
      #359509 - 06/28/10 10:37 AM
capricorn1942

In doing research on the internet I see that the oil can be extracted by putting the marijuana in hot oil and then taking out the solid. I guess this gives a mixture of say olive oil and marijuana oil. This oil can then be spread on toast, baked into brownies, etc. Since we are supposed to restrict our intake of oil, would this be effective and still not cause problems with ibs?

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Marijuana Oil new
      #359510 - 06/28/10 10:51 AM
Syl

Too bad the commercial oil is not made that way. I believe THC is soluble in oil since it is known to be stored in body fat for a considerable period of time. If you make your own you might be able to extract some THC from the plant in the olive oil. However, it is possible that the amount of THC extracted by that method might be rather small and not particularly beneficial for IBS. You may have to experiment

--------------------

#372778 - 04/06/16 01:43 PM
Mrae3

Reged: 10/27/15

Has anyone been using Marijuna recently with their ibs-d and seen a difference? I have anxiety and now panic attacks so they are adding meds to what I already take for my D. I am seriously considering trying this so that I don't have to be on so many meds. I am from California so it is legal here. Just wanted to see any updates anyone has experienced.
Thanks

#372887 - 07/01/16 11:19 AM
Joe86

Reged: 07/01/16

I have IBS-D real bad. Many strains relieve spasms a lot, and I need it most for sleep at night otherwise, I am fatigued all day.

#372889 - 07/05/16 10:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - IBS is an approved condition for medical marijuana in some (all?) states that have it. It's helpful for pain and spasms and nausea, so definitely not at all like alcohol when it comes to affecting the gut.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#372891 - 07/10/16 03:15 PM
Candy07

Reged: 08/13/13

Joe86,

I feel TERRIBLE for you! Praying you get things under control SOON!!

--------------------
Originally diagnosed with IBS-C in Spring, 2008. During spring to fall of 2008, had at least 10 acupuncture treatments and Chinese herbs. IBS went into remission. IBS returned in late July 2013 after taking 2 oral contrasts for a CT scan for cancer follow up. Had more acupuncture with different practitioner in summer 2014, but received little benefit.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23821

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review