All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Mayo subsitute?
      #358983 - 05/31/10 08:34 PM
seattleite

Reged: 01/07/10
Loc: Seattle

Ive been doing great on the IBS diet with Acacia and accupunctre until tonight when I had Light Mayo in a chicken salad i made. My stomach is very upset. Im assuming it was the mayo since the rest of the recipe was just roasted chicken, dijon mustard, 1 tbs white wine, celery, cherry tomatoes, and some french bread. I find it odd that i had a bad reaction to it since i do fine with scrambled eggs (including the yolk) but maybe it was just too much mayo?? (the recipe called for 1 cup...and i probably had 1/3 of the whole chx salad that i made).
Has anyone tried Vegenaise? I saw that it contains soy protein and soy milk/things with a lot of soy protein gives me problems. or maybe Nonfat Mayo?

--------------------
IBS-D since 2008, female in her 20s

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Mayo subsitute? new
      #359024 - 06/02/10 09:24 AM
CamilleH

Reged: 05/24/10
Loc: Colorado

I haven't tried those but a couple days ago I got the idea from a friend of a vegan friend (follow that? LOL) to puree some kind of canned white bean (with juice from can) and use it as mayo. She uses garbanzo beans I guess. I did it yesterday with great northern beans and it was very yummy!

Camille

--------------------
IBS-D, Diabetes Type 2, Corn Allergy, Gluten Intolerance, Dairy "Issues"

#359027 - 06/02/10 02:55 PM
Jenny B

Reged: 03/27/07
Loc: Montana

I use vegenaise all the time and it works really great on sandwiches, or even for vegetable dip! Just recently I mixed in some of my organic relish with the vegenaise and made a great spread for a sandwich.

Maybe try the grapeseed vegenaise, it sounds like a great alternative. Here's the link: http://www.followyourheart.com/products.php?id=20

I might try it myself! Good luck.

#359035 - 06/02/10 06:18 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Was it rotisserie chicken or home roasted?

I think you can't really say something bothers you if you have trouble from eating it once. For one thing you can't rule out the other food you ate in the day. The other thing is we can get attacks from things other than food. (Every one remember that please- it isn't just food!!!) I have said many times that I could eat the same exact food 4 days in a row and have a different reaction every day. So that amount of light mayo sounds ok to me so you might want to try it on a sandwich sometime. I use vegennaise but I think it has higher fat than light mayo. I use it because it is eggless and vegan.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Light mayo is still very high fat... new
      #359064 - 06/03/10 02:53 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

and if you ate 1/3 cup of light mayo that is basically 1/3 cup of fat. Way, way too much.

Try fat free mayo, and spike it with some fresh lemon juice, flavored vinegars, any kind of mustard, or finely chopped fresh herbs.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Light mayo is still very high fat... new
      #359071 - 06/03/10 07:49 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Oh I had assumed it was a whole chicken mixed with veggies and mayo and eaten with french bread- for a family. Maybe it was a sandwich now that I read it again.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 358 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3001

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review