Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
My IBS-C Story
      #358733 - 05/18/10 04:53 PM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

Hello all.
I have read numerous posts recently that have made my heart break. Having IBS really is stressful, frustrating, unpredictable, and so much more. I have been there before--I promise. I have cried, screamed, given up, etc. But, it has *always* gotten better. I am not writing this to preach--believe me, that doesn't help. I'm writing to share my story.
I have almost always had a version of IBS my whole life. A touchy stomach, always getting the 'stomach flu', etc... That was my life.
My last year of college things got so rough. I wanted to give up- to curl up. I was SICK. This continued after graduation. I had a wonderful boyfriend (now husband) that kept me going, but it was tough. I would lay on the couch ALL day crying. I tried *everything* but NOTHING worked.
Slowly I came out of it-- I could have a good day or two. That turned into a good week or two. What changed? Nothing specific. My BODY finally decided it was time to heal. Through diet, align, SFS...I was getting better.
But then last summer happened. I was diagnosed with gastroparesis, which is slowed digestion--causing even more C. Pain. Cramps. UGH! I spent 5 days in the hospital. Afterwards, I met my doctor.
I have a seriously FANTASTIC doctor. But she was WELL earned. I went through about 6 doctors over the past few years. NONE knew more than me, and NONE cared enough. Listen, there were times when I swore off doctors, but I am SO glad I didn't. I have such a great doc who, while not able to 'heal' me, is able to support me, run tests, give ideas/suggestions, etc... With a diagnosis like IBS, your doctor needs to be your "partner" not your healer. This was very important to me.
So, with this new doc came a new approach. I have always struggled with C and occasionally D. Here is what works for me now-- 5 small meals a day--and I mean small. I never eat off a regular size plate anymore. These small meals make sure my system is never working "too hard." I take Benefiber in the morning and the evening for a totaly of 5 teaspoons. 2 in morning, 3 at night. I take 2 colace EVERY night. This makes it so nothing can get too hard and helps me more than I even knew it could! And I still take my align at night. And I have a smoothie almost every day to make sure I get enough fruit in. Through this, I am almost a normal person. I have BM almost every day. It almost NEVER hurts and I am able to NOT think about it every minute of my life.
But PLEASE, remember that what works for one doesn't work for anyone. It takes TIME. I'm not saying to not work at it, but keep trying things and try not to get too dissapointed when it doesn't go your way. When life is so frustrating, just hang in there. We are all here to support you all on your journey to good health.
Thanks for reading and I hope this encourages some of you who are struggling. It can get better. Just hang in there and ride the waves.

--------------------
IBS-A

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Aly new
      #358737 - 05/18/10 05:39 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

I don't come here nor post much anymore. But, I had to respond to your post. I find my IBS is much, much better, if I don't visit often.

I have always loved to read what you write. You are a positive, uplifting, hopeful person, who never gets involved in the crap that sometimes goes on. I love it that you shared you personal story, which is sometimes hard to do, and that you didn't throw science, studies, and research at us. Personal experience is so much more helpful, and it gives those struggling much more hope.

You have helped me before with some suggestions, and I will borrow from you again, some of the ones you just posted.

Thanks for being Aly!

Re: My IBS-C Story *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #358818 - 05/20/10 04:57 PM
Rover

Reged: 05/20/10

Post deleted by Heather

Average Day... new
      #358821 - 05/20/10 05:12 PM
Aly

Sure! Here is my normal food intake:

Breakfast
Cereal- 3/4cup (rice krispies, frosted flakes, etc...) with rice milk
OR
English Muffin w/ smart balance light and cinnamon sugar
ALWAYS:
Cup of tea with 2 teaspoons of benefiber

Snack: 2 graham crackers or 1/2cup applesauce

Lunch: PB&J on Italian bread- I use *very* little peanut butter
1/2 cup of canned peaches
OR
Leftovers--small chicken breast, cous-cous, green beans
OR
homemade soup-- chicken noodle with carrots and celery well cooked

Snack: pretzels or small smoothie of 4 strawberries, 1/2 banana, cranberry juice, 2 ice cubes

Dinner: grilled chicken or turkey, 1/2 baked potato (or cous-cous, white rice, etc...), 1/2 cup steamed veggies

Snack: usually something sweet--like homemade cookie or biscotti-- sometimes 1/2 cup dry cereal
Tea w/ 1 tablespoon of benefiber

I did this quickly to answer your questions, but, I usually stick to around 1200 calories. I have lost weight eating this way--and since I also have gastroparesis, I feel full quickly. This means that there are many days I cannot eat both snacks, but I try!

Hope this helps a bit!:) I feel great, and can tell now that my nutrition is MUCH better than before. I could use some more protein, but I feel like I have plenty of energy.

Let me know if you have questions...

--------------------
IBS-A

Heather--- new
      #358850 - 05/22/10 06:33 AM
Aly

I see this post was deleted. I hope it was OK that I answered some of their questions about my diet--is that post OK? I honestly don't remember everything they asked, so I'm sorry if I shouldn't have responded!

--------------------
IBS-A

Re: My IBS-C Story new
      #358852 - 05/22/10 07:42 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

Aly -

So good to hear your success story. {{Hugs}} & Prayers for health and wholeness!!

Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: Average Day... new
      #358853 - 05/23/10 08:13 AM
TKW

Reged: 05/23/10
Loc: New Jersey

Good morning,
I wanted to ask you what tips you may have for a grocery shopping list --I am on a prescribed medicine and i almost feel like its making things worse, my doc is aware and told me to cut the dosage down which i just started today, but i just want to get on track and was wondering what are great items to buy--any help would be greatly appreciated,
thank you
tiffany

No problem with your posts at all - just the one from another poster that was deleted. -nt- new
      #358867 - 05/24/10 11:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 528 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3789

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review