All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)
Re: Nutritionist new
      #358348 - 05/04/10 06:32 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

" Before posting a question for every single little food you want to know, ask yourself this first. Is it on the safe soluble fibre list? Then it's safe to eat. Is it on the trigger list?
Then it's not safe to eat. If it's on neither of those lists, you should treat it as insoluble fibre and should be eaten with care, and after soluble fibre."

It is NOT that easy!

Edited by Allisonmary (05/04/10 06:34 AM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Great blog, Kim! Love the travel pics. -nt- new
      #358355 - 05/04/10 10:14 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: My Food Journal new
      #358357 - 05/04/10 10:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Sorbitol occurs naturally in prunes, plums and a variety of other fruits thus there is no need to include this information on the label. Sorbitol is particularly high in prunes.

Did the MD and RD who recommended you use prune juice also recommend you increase your consumption of whole grains too to relieve constipation?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Kim new
      #358359 - 05/04/10 11:39 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

love the website. Can I email you? I want to ask you a few things. Thanks. Like, do you take a soluble fiber supplement?

Also, you didn't list that much fruit, besides an occasional orange. Can you eat any other fruits on a daily basis? Would love to talk with you.

Re: Kim new
      #358361 - 05/04/10 11:53 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Hey, I see you have your email in your profile! Great!

#358365 - 05/04/10 12:41 PM
Naturapanic

Reged: 02/16/06

Quote:

Ya know, on May 5, 2005, almost five years ago to the day, Yoda told you how to figure out what to eat:

Quote:

Before posting a question for every single little food you want to know, ask yourself this first. Is it on the safe soluble fibre list? web page Then it's safe to eat. Is it on the trigger list? web page
Then it's not safe to eat. If it's on neither of those lists, you should treat it as insoluble fibre and should be eaten with care, and after soluble fibre.

That's all there is to it. You can ask all the questions you want but the rules for Heather's approach aren't going to change. Your meals without a speck of soluble fiber are still going to be meals without a speck of soluble fiber. Your meals without enough insoluble fiber are still going to be meals without enough insoluble fiber. And rye bread is not magically going to appear on the soluble fiber list which - after five years - you should have for crying out loud memorized - or at least printed out and taped to your refrigerator.

You've had all the information about Heather's approach for over five years. For a while one of the smartest people who ever posted here worked with you via email to help you. You don't do what you're told; you haven't gotten any relief from symptoms; your complaints about Heather's approach are exactly the same as they were five years ago; and you're back to flooding the Boards.

My only remaining suggestion is that you find a good nutritionist, take her Heather's books, and see if she'll work with you. But frankly I don't think you'll do what she tells you to do either so I believe it would be wiser for you to save your money and do what I suggested in a recent post: eat what you want, do what you want, and enjoy yourself.

One final word of philosophical advice: reality is, whether you like it or not. You can scream, yell, insult, complain, blame other people, and insist it's not fair, not fair, not fair. Reality doesn't change.

Syl...I SAW an RD who told me to have Rye Bread.
Do you see why I am so confused?

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358366 - 05/04/10 12:51 PM
Naturapanic

Would anybody here be willing to help me out?
If I post daily what I eat, can we critique and can I get suggestions?

I would see an RD, but THEY HAVE given me bad advice in the past.
I really want to be over IBS breakouts, so PLEASE...since I have not followed EFI (even though I thought I was) can I get some help?
Thanks.

Monday's Diet

Pre-Breakfast
-1.5 cups Store Breand Generic Coco Puffs

Breakfast
-Smoothe (.5 cup Frozen Strawberry in Syrup+.5 cup Cranberry Juice+.5 cup Egg Beater)
-Instant Grits w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter

Lunch
-4 oz Boars Head Turkey on Rye w/lettuce and mustard
-1 serving canned carrots

Pre-workout
-Shake(1 cup Cranberry Juice+1 scoop Egg White Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 TSP Glutamine+10 grams BCAA+.5 cup Frozen Strawberries)
-1 serving Pretzels

Post-workout
-Shake(1 cup Cranberry Juice+1 scoop Egg White Protein+1 scoop Yammit+1 TSP Glutamine+10 grams BCAA+.5 cup Frozen mixed Berries)
-1 serving Pretzels

Dinner
-4 small homemade crabcakes (12 oz crabmeat+bread crumbs (from hamburger roll)+1/4 cup Egg Beaters sauteed)
-Baked Potatoe w/1 TBSP Smart Balance Light Butter
-.75 cup Frozen Spinach

Evening Snack
-9 oz Canned Salmon
-1 serving pretzels
-1 dinner roll

Midnight Snack
-Cliff Builders Bar

Notes
1) Macros:
Cals: 3396 Carbs: 572 Sugars:270 Fiber:37 Protein:185
Fat:36

2) Most of the day I felt like crap, very bloated and backed up, aside from after dinner

3) Today I feel awful, very backed up...again I THOUGHT I WAS FOLLOWING THE EFI DIET....I HAVE SF AND AVOID DAIRY REDMEAT AND ALL THAT STUFF.

I HAVE SEEN RD'S AND THEY HAVE CONTRADICTORY ADVICE.
EITHER HERE OR OFF THE BOARD CAN SOMEBODY PLEASE TUTOR ME SO I CAN REALLY FOLLOW EFI?

I WANT THE ATTACKS TO END!!!!!!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358370 - 05/04/10 01:25 PM
Bel920

Reged: 03/22/10
Loc: Nevada

I still think you are eating too much food - maybe you are overburdening your system. If you are serious about trying to get better, why not take a break from the bodybuilding and get your digestive system back on track FIRST.

--------------------
Belinda
IBS-A since 1986 (age 8)
Recently realized I could do
something about it!

#358371 - 05/04/10 01:43 PM
Naturapanic

How much food is too much?
How much should I eat?
I can't believe my diet isn't EFI.

I really need 1-1 help adjusting my food log, but every RD I go to stinks.
Can someone here help?

Consider I am a guy age 26 who does exericse, hence 2400 calories does not work.

I figure I need 400 carbs x Fiber....50 grams of fat...200 grams of protein.

--------------------
IBS-C and Bloating

#358372 - 05/04/10 01:43 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I agree with Belinda. If you really want to feel better and get control of your IBS you need to change your focus from body building to following the EFI diet.

If you have Heather's book I would suggest re-reading it to learn the concept of the EFI diet and why it works. Do this without thinking about body building and trying to get so much protein in your diet. If you don't have her book there is so much info on this site that you can use.

Many of us are telling you the same thing. Hopefully you will listen to the advice you are being given and concentrate on getting well before body building. You really have to look at your priorities and what is more important to you. If you are not ready to make a real change in your diet there is nothing any of us here can do for you.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 688 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 55847

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review