All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Strong Spices & IBS
      #358151 - 04/28/10 07:39 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Can strong spices upset IBS?

I've started to add curry powder to my food because the tumeric in it is a strong anti-inflammatory. I've been trying to include anti-inflammatory food in my diet, and many of these foods are quite potent (e.g. tumeric, ginger, rosemary). So far, I haven't had problems, but I'm wondering if such strong spices are worth eating

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Strong Spices & IBS new
      #358157 - 04/28/10 10:49 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Other than their high insoluble fiber content strong spices shouldn't be a problem. You can buy plain tumeric powder without the rest of the curry spices.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

They're usually digestive aids... new
      #358158 - 04/28/10 11:40 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

so can actually be helpful. Use in small quantities until you're sure, and make sure spices are finely ground (or if you use them whole, remove from the dish before eating). That will take care of any insoluble fiber.

Spices with capsicain, which is what makes peppers hot and spicy, can bother some people, so use caution there.

In general, bland foods aren't necessarily safe foods, and herbs, spices, and seasonings can be not just tasty but actively helpful for IBS. Enjoy!

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Strong Spices & IBS new
      #358175 - 04/28/10 07:25 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Turmeric and cardamom are especially good for the gut. Many Indian spices are too (without the ghee and yogurt of course). I put cardamom on everything.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: They're usually digestive aids... new
      #358192 - 04/29/10 08:25 AM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Thanks!
I just wanted to make sure because, as you pointed out, its a little counter-intuitive that such strong spices are actually calming

My house is stocked with a good amount of spices/herbs, and I found ground turmeric, coriander, and ginger, so I plan on starting to add those to my food

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1673 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1701

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review