All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Found this online : IBS "flare up" diet plan. Opinions?
      #357656 - 04/10/10 05:41 PM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

Was doing some googling about rooibos tea and IBS, and stumbled upon this diet plan. Some of it seems safe, wonder if you guys had any thoughts ::

http://www.thenutritionconsultants.com/IBSflareupmealplan.html

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

This would not work ... new
      #357670 - 04/11/10 04:39 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Are you d or c?

Day 1: the ham is not good
Day 2: any yogurt hurts me
Day 5: egg ?? Ham ?? Green salad??
Day 6: whole meal bread is not good. Need to stay with French or sourdough
Day 7: scrambled eggs, salad leaves, reintroduce dairy ?? … dairy is big trigger

This diet would have me running … running to the bathroom all the week through.

It would be best to stick with Heather's diet … removing trigger foods, and then reintroducing some foods … but for me no diary ever, no ham, and no green salad.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

This might work with a few little adjustments new
      #357684 - 04/11/10 12:10 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

I think the answer to this question goes back to the old "IBS is an individual thing" response.
There are some things on there that certainly MIGHT cause problems, but it depends on how your IBS affects you (C or D, etc) and how you tolerate different foods.
I am personally IBS-D and feel like I have a lower tolerance for certain things like raw fruits and veggies, etc but I can eat whole grain breads and salads.
My issues on this diet would be the ham, which could easily be replaced with a different protein and eggs, which could be replaced with egg whites or something else entirely. As far as the salad goes, I would be able to eat if but I would eat the potato it suggests first and then the salad afterwards.
The only other thing that I could see causing a problem is the flax... Flax can be hard on sensitive tummies and if I were going to try this diet plan out, I would start with a very small amount and gradually increase it up to the full Tablespoon if my stomach tolerated it.
Yogurt seems to be an individual thing too... Lots of people I know with IBS can tolerate yogurt in small amounts (even if they can't have other dairy) but for others it needs to be eliminated completely. There are soy alternatives, though.

Good luck, hope this helps! Let us know if you do decide to follow the diet and how it works for you.

Stephanie

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Not necessarily new
      #357685 - 04/11/10 12:16 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Quote:

Are you d or c?

Day 1: the ham is not good
Day 2: any yogurt hurts me
Day 5: egg ?? Ham ?? Green salad??
Eggs can easily be replaced with egg whites so aren't out of the question. Also, a lot of people CAN tolerate green salad. Usually it should be paired with some soluble fiber and be a reasonable serving, but you don't necessarily have to cut salad out of your diet.
Day 6: whole meal bread is not good. Need to stay with French or sourdough
Once your tummy is stable, you may be able to tolerate breads other than French and sourdough. There are lower % whole wheat breads that are not as heavy as some of the "healthy" breads out there but do pack a bigger nutritional punch than white.
Day 7: scrambled eggs, salad leaves, reintroduce dairy ?? … dairy is big trigger

This diet would have me running … running to the bathroom all the week through.

It would be best to stick with Heather's diet … removing trigger foods, and then reintroducing some foods … but for me no diary ever, no ham, and no green salad.

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Have you tried Heather's Break The Cycle recommendations? -nt- new
      #357691 - 04/11/10 02:10 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

It won't work for me -nt- new
      #357692 - 04/11/10 02:44 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

I think some of the suggestions would cause a flare up, not help one. -nt- new
      #357733 - 04/12/10 11:08 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Not the rooibos tea, by the way. That should be totally fine. --nt- new
      #357734 - 04/12/10 11:10 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2662 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2745

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review