All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Is my breakfast safe?
      #357648 - 04/10/10 01:54 PM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

I have IBS C with pain. For breakfast every morning I have this hot cereal Gluten free cereal along with strawberries and 1 T of flax. Is this too much IF for the morning? Any suggestions? What do you all eat for breakfast?

Brown rice, corn, and quinoa are all SF so it should be safe, right?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Heather, any proficiemt EFI eaters, what do you think?-nt new
      #357649 - 04/10/10 01:56 PM
Cyndy

Re: Is my breakfast safe? new
      #357686 - 04/11/10 12:25 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi Cyndy,

To me personally, this looks like quite a bit of fiber first thing in the morning but I am IBS-D and I think I have a harder time with flax than most C'ers.
It looks like a very healthy breakfast... are you using any milk-type product with it or just on it's own?
I usually have multi-grain cheerios with soy milk, sometimes with some strawberries. I used to eat oatmeal with oat bran with soy milk and berries and found it worked really well for me... I just ate so much of it that I got sick of it and needed a change!
How do you feel after you eat this in the morning? Go by what your body tells you.

Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

#357713 - 04/12/10 07:51 AM
Cyndy

thanks for your opinion, Stephie. No, I just make it with water. It's hard to tell because I am C...so I thought I would be able to have it moreso than a person with D.The fact that you can tolerate multi-grain cheerios with strawberries and you are a D makes me think this cereal may not be too much for a C. I don't know. Sometimes I feel good and sometimes I feel bad after eating this. I'll try to listen to my body, but it keeps telling me different things! Thanks for taking the time to respond.

#357726 - 04/12/10 10:30 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - the link for the cereal isn't working so I can't see the ingredients. Rice, corn, and quinoa should be fine.

Is the flax very finely ground? That would make a difference. Also, 1 T is quite a lot for just one bowl of cereal.

Are you cooking the strawberries right into the cereal, or using them raw on top? That can make a difference, too.

You might want to use this cereal half-and-half with cream of rice, which would make sure you're getting plenty of soluble fiber without too much insoluble.

Can you do bananas or mangoes instead of the berries? Or try dicing the berries and cooking them into the cereal?

Maybe just 1 tsp of the finely ground flax, and add the balance of the flax to other meals throughout the day?

One thing to keep in mind is that mornings tend to be the touchiest time for many with IBS. Your stomach is totally empty, and mornings can be stressful and hurried as well.

You might want to stick with something that is much more soluble and less insoluble fiber for first thing in the morning, and try the cereal/fruit/flax combo for a snack later in the day or even lunch.

Also, have a calming tea (peppermint, fennel, chamomile) right with the cereal. If you use peppermint oil capsules take on before you have breakfast. If you use Tummy Fiber, add it right into your breakfast cereal.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hmm new
      #357728 - 04/12/10 10:42 AM
Cyndy

Weird, it worked for me. I was wrong about the ingredents. It continues Whole grain brown rice, corn, white sorghum, buckwheat. Yes the flax is finely ground. The strawberries are frozen and I microwave them to thaw them and I usually put them on the bottom.

I don't do well with bananas. I don't think.

I also don't take any soluble fiber supplement or peppermint caps. I don't know.

Thanks for taking the time to answer this.

#357762 - 04/13/10 07:52 AM
Cyndy

and aren't mangoes too high in fructose?

#357766 - 04/13/10 08:08 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

I wouldn't be able to have the whole grain brown rice, why dont you try cream of wheat instead, it is supposed to be really easy to digest. You may be able to tolerate brown rice better tho. For the longest time I was eating products with brown rrice thinking it was ok and it took a long, long time to find out it wasn't. For me when I would eat brown rice and whole grain products the pain would not come right away so it was hard to figure out. You could be different though, just wanted to warn you it could be a problem.
For the longest time I thought I couldnt have bananas but it turns out they are the best fruit for me. Usually I eat a banana in pieces throughout the day. Maybe try that. And like I said those freeze dried bananas are totally safe for me, even more so then the bananas. Maybe try them first and see how you do?

#357769 - 04/13/10 10:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There is no need to be fanatical about fructose intake unless you are fructose intolerant, which you should be tested for as a part of an IBS diagnosis.

Fructose is poorly digested by everyone, whether they have IBS or not, so you don't want to overload on it. But, you definitely don't have to eliminate or drastically reduce your fruit intake. Just follow the insoluble fiber rules here.

Mangoes are usually a good choice for IBS because they've got a good soluble fiber base and little insoluble. Bananas and papaya are two others.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#357772 - 04/13/10 10:51 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Yes - they are but they are only a problem for people with fructose malabsorption. Have you been tested by your GI doc for fructose malabsorption? It is a breath test. If not then it might be wise to ask for the test. At the same time you might ask for clarification about your gluten blood test.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3777

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review