All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
College Food- soon to be my reality
      #357263 - 04/02/10 08:55 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Hey guys

I haven't been around these boards for a few months. My IBS has actually been completely under control.

My diet at home is not very similar to the EFI diet. I eat a lot of healthy fats, e.g. almonds, pecans, avocado, coconut. I try to eat as many fruits and vegetables as I can. I know some IBSers here have trouble with the insoluble fiber, but I rarely have trouble eating fruits or veggies. I have practically eliminated gluten from my diet, which started as a temporary change, but stuck when my symptoms improved. I don't eat dairy, but it has been like that for most of my life.
These changes were really cemented after I saw a gastroenterologist who diagnosed me with post infectious IBS a few months ago, stemming from when I had a C difficile infection. He advised me to stay off gluten and dairy, since I improved off of them. If I improve enough, my gut will be sufficiently 'cooled down' to reintroduce potential problem foods

So, thats my diet now. Its working, as my symptoms are under control. However, I have trouble eating new food, as well as a great deal of anxiety from bad experiences of the past.

So, I recently heard back from colleges (ill be a freshman in the fall). I've narrowed my college choices down to Vassar and Brandeis. I visited vassar, and the dining hall food was tolerable. They had a decent selection, although a good deal of foods were still out of bounds (e.g. all desserts, wheat bread, dairy-based products).

I stayed for lunch, and ate a few hardboiled eggs with tuna and a green salad. Yes, eggs are a 'trigger food,' but I've never had trouble with them.

Still, I am slow to adjust to eating new foods. Even if I can find food on my diet, I do not know how I will cope with such sudden changes in what I'm eating.

I've found that I take time to adjust to new foods. For the past year I've tried my best to start off slow. At college, thats going to be hard when I'm eating three meals a day there.

So, any advice? Thanks for reading

Edited by mcem222 (04/02/10 08:57 PM)

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: College Food- soon to be my reality new
      #357278 - 04/03/10 10:37 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Good hear from you. It is great to hear that things are going better for you.

Something you might consider. Some colleges can handle special meal requirements. You might talk with food services when you have picked a college and ask what they can do to accommodate your meal requirements.

Have you decided what you are going to study at college?

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#357289 - 04/03/10 12:19 PM
mcem222

Thanks, Syl. I'll talk to my guidance counselor and try to get in touch with the food service.

I know I want to study either math or science. Right now in high school, I like calculus and physics, but can't stand literature or history. Vassar, a small liberal arts school, isn't ideal for this, but unfortunately college admissions is a tricky game

Edited by mcem222 (04/03/10 12:23 PM)

#357327 - 04/04/10 10:19 AM
Clara818

Reged: 06/08/09

Hi,
Congratulations on getting into great schools!
If the dorms allow it, I would strongly suggest getting a little mini-fridge for your room, and making space on some shelves for non-perishable items that are safe for you. That way you don't have to rely on the dining halls all the time if you just want something simple and safe. Some colleges have kitchens (with fridges) on each floor, so you could store food there, too, if you want.

#357331 - 04/04/10 10:39 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

First I want to congratulate you for being accepted into college!

Another poster suggested a small frig for your dorm. I think this is a great idea along with having a small microwave too.

If you will not be living all that far from your family and possibly seeing them fairly often, here is a suggestion. Have them help you with putting together some small meals for your dorm frig/freezer snapped tightly in Corningware 'grab it' bowls and labeled as to contents. This will give you some of the 'warm fuzzies' from home, too!

When you get acquainted with others at college you can have a 'cooking' gathering and share what food is prepared among one another. Soups are a great thing all year 'round. This could be a fun way to get together and know one another better.

Another good thing would be an electric skillet and small slow cooker in your dorm. You would be amazed at what you can cook in an electric skillet and a slow cooker that nourishes you and friends too. A rice cooker is great too. Keep some healthy bagels on hand along with sourdough bread. Perhaps your family and friends will pitch in and help you acquire these simple and rather inexpensive appliances to make your life easier and even fun at college.

I think you may end up the belle of the ball when it comes to hospitality and healthy eating...

My very best to you in your college goals. It's hard work for sure, though it's really worth it to finish and have a degree in an area that truly interests you. Such will serve you for the rest of your life, and hopefully you will make some great friends that you stay connected with for decades...

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: College Food- soon to be my reality
      #357371 - 04/04/10 11:50 PM
Stephie

Reged: 03/10/04
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

Hi there,

Congrats on getting into college - I'm sure this will all be a really exciting time for you.
My biggest piece of advice would be to, like other people have suggested, keep as much "safe" food with you at all times during your adjustment period. Even if you can't have a fridge and/or microwave in your room (which would be ideal), keeping non-perishables will be really important.
I would stock up on ziplock bags and containers and try to always carry a few safe snacks with you so that you don't get stuck without anything you feel comfortable eating. If worrying about these new foods is a source of anxiety for you, just knowing you are carrying safe foods with you should help alleviate some of that stress.
If you don't do it already, keeping a food diary and an up-to-date lists of foods that are safe for you would be a good idea. It's so easy to get stuck in a routine of certain safe foods that we can forget the other stuff that doesn't bother us but we just aren't in the habbit of eating. If you start testing out more foods now that you think will be more available to you or will be easy to tote around with you, you'll be better prepared for when you do arrive at college.
Also, if you aren't able to have the appliances in your room there are usually common rooms with these types of things in most dorms that I have seen. You might want to check that out too.

Good luck!
Steph

--------------------
~~I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell-I know right now you can't tell~~Matchbox 20
IBS-D,pain.

Re: College Food- soon to be my reality
      #357388 - 04/05/10 10:35 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

You might be able to get out of the meal plan altogether if you ask. Altrnatively you could find a residence or private accomdation that offers self catering.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Do a board search on this topic... new
      #357400 - 04/05/10 04:22 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

with no time restrictions at all. This subject came up a lot, with tons of great info, quite a few years ago.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

College Food- going in another direction
      #357404 - 04/05/10 05:46 PM
mcem222

I've been doing a little research, and found out ill probably have a kitchen in the house, possibly split between a lot of students

However, Id like to move the topic in a different direction. I appreciate your responses, but if you didn't read in my first post, my diet isn't exactly EFI (also, Windchimes mentioned the phrase 'Belle of the Ball'- for the record, im a guy).

I've come to believe that no matter what diet a person is on, its hard to change. For so many foods, I've had to start eating them slowly. This could be for both psychological and physical reasons, but I'm honestly not that afraid of food at college 6 months into the year. I'm afraid of the first month.

Id like to have confidence in myself to grow and adjust, as well as be able to pick foods that my body will go with. The colleges I'm planning to attend and their surrounding neighborhoods have a wide enough variety that bringing food from home or going to great lengths might be more avoiding the problem then addressing it.

Heather, I did not yet do the search (sorry), but Id like to reiterate what I intended to say in my original post.

I'm stable now, but for some physical or psychological reasons, changing what I eat is hard. Its terrible when I see myself slipping and losing that stability. Thats what I fear about college

Re: College Food- going in another direction
      #357406 - 04/05/10 06:05 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Why not prepare a 4 week meal plan and stick to it so you can get on with the excitement and fun of the first month without worrying about food.

When I travel or I am in a stressful situation I have a rigid meal plan that I follow and I don't wander from it. It simplifies life considerably.

So your interested in science and math - great! It will be interesting to see how these interests evolve.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 175 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5654

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review