All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Need advice on certain foods for ibs-d
      #356990 - 03/25/10 02:37 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Well I started working out at a gym lastnight. Started a bootcamp. I talked to the trainer about my ibs-d and how I only eat pretty much carbs. So we are going to try to start adding some foods in little by little. Stuff like spinach, lettuce, fruits and of course chicken and lean meats, broccoli, tomatoes, cucumbers, zuccini and so on. Now I know for me apples and apple juice is a big no no but I was just wondering for anyone who has ibs-d does any of these other foods bother u? I know I will have to just trial and error for myself but wanted to get some input for others. Plus I won't be eating these things in high amounts at one time either which will help maybe tolertate them better. I just get anxious when trying new foods.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Please look at the diet section of the site starting here new
      #356992 - 03/25/10 04:12 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/ for info on how to safely add insoluble fiber foods.

Adding skinless white meat poultry and seafood should be no problem but I would avoid red meat completely.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Need advice on certain foods for ibs-d new
      #356993 - 03/25/10 04:19 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Perhaps one of the best things you might try is making a pot of minestrone soup which incorporates many veggies into it. I also cook some pasta on the side and add this after I have finished cooking the veggies and turned off the burner to cool. I personally don't like the starch from the cooking of the pasta right in the soup as it clouds the clarity of the broth, but that's just me. Add some cooked beans too!... like a few garbanzos, pink or pinto beans, etc., whatever you like for some added protein.

Minestrone soup freezes well if you can't consume all you made within a few days. A small cup of this is a great introduction to any meal. Homemade french bread or sour dough croutons are also good floating in Minestrone soup.

As for meat protein, I really would suggest that you purchase free range chicken or turkey that has not been given antibiotics nor steriods. Most of us IBSers cannot tolerate red meat, though if you cannot give that up entirely then make sure you purchase only grass fed beef with no antibiotics nor steriods. You won't usually find these items in your local supermarket and will have to visit a local independent butcher who buys from local ranchers.

Red meat is very difficult for many to digest, and particularly us IBSers. As Heather suggests, salads are best eaten AFTER the meal rather than before. She says, pretend you are French. Europeans eat their salad after meals, not before like us Americans. The roughage really is hard on IBS when it is not preceded by something more soothing.

Best of luck to you.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#357002 - 03/26/10 06:48 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

I can pretty much second what Windchimes is saying. I learned the hard way that I do not do well with rough veggies.

However, use baby lettuces now and those seem to be tolerated the best. Of course now mostly as a garnish, the days of salad eating are over.

Also, the better cooked down and 'mushy' a veggie is the better it will digest. Thus the soup recommendation. I pretty much stay alive via chicken noodle soup during a flareup and that has veggies i wouldnt normally touch, but they are so mushy it doesnt matter.

Also, you CAN find antibiotic free chicken in a lot of major markets, its usually off in a corner though. But it also tastes WAY better especially if its free range.

Last summer I came back from a 2 month long endless cycle of flareups by eating stuff like free range chicken, baby lettuces on turkey burgers, pasta w/ shrimp, and discovering the local farmers market. Plus I was running a lot too.

Keep up the exercise! good job, that helps a lot. Once you're stable, it'll keep you 'movin' down there like clockwork

#357004 - 03/26/10 07:34 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

If you are pretty sensitive and can't have apples, I would be careful to add things like that to your diet because most are high in insolubles and excess fructose like the apples. It would prob be best to start with fruits like bananas and vegetables like zuchhini before the other greens. I cannot have at all brocooli, tomatoes, or cucumbers, but thats just me I guess. Make sure to have lots of soluble fiber with the foods like pasta rice or bread. Don't get carried away thinking o i feel so good, because whenever I did that with insolubles it would hit me the next day and then Id be in pain for a week, so go slowly!

#357007 - 03/26/10 09:10 AM
Windchimes

I agree with you PABeachBum... Thanks for your additions here.

Unfortunately, I live in a rural area where even major supermarkets don't stock some of the recommended things like range grown chicken and turkey. Those have to come from a local butcher here, and in fact they SURE DO taste better, absolutely. However, not all free-range poultry that is anti-biotic free is also steriod-free. It's a total nuisance and frustrating that we have to take a magnifying glass these days when we grocery shop. Then there are what were items that were tested as tried and true for us, and now the manufacturers have altered their ingredients!... no longer safe for IBSers!

As many know, I am slowly though steadily moving away from animal products altogether. I'm enjoying the tastes and textures of vegetarian eating, though there are many definitions of veggie eating. I have found my own niche, feel great, though do stretch myself a little here in there when at social events with loved ones. I know what I need to do to prepare for those in advance, and also what to do the following day(s) to get my gut back on track if it rebels. Often times it does not at all, and sometimes it just seems worth the price to gather around with loved ones and indulge a little beyond my daily diet.

My basic philosophy is that quality of life is more important than longevity of life. However, in reality these things do seem to run hand in hand. We need to balance everything... mentally, physically, and spiritually... all having our unique personalities, needs, and specific food requirements.

My very best to you as you travel your own life path and experience the joy of being alive and well!

--------------------

#357014 - 03/26/10 02:00 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Thankyou all for ur input. Unfortuantley I am never stable. I take Lomotil on a daily basis so that helps alot. I like Windchimes prefer to stay away from eating meat to much but how do u get protein in ur diet if u don't eat meat? I will definately take it slow and not try to many things at once. I usually tolerate tamatos, cucumbers well so that wont be an issue. I bought zuccini and spinach and asparuggus today so we will see how those affect me. Once again thanks.

#357015 - 03/26/10 03:11 PM
Windchimes

Quote:

but how do u get protein in ur diet if u don't eat meat?

You can get lots of protein into your diet from beans, rice, soy products, and more. You might want to check out a nutrition textbook or vegetarian cookbook from your local library, that will show you how to get more protein into your diet, absent animal meat. It's really not difficult to find alternatives that really taste wonderful! So much is in the texture and seasoning of the food. I have been totally amazed the more I learn!

When I think I might be lacking in protein on a given day, I love to drink chocolate soy milk for dessert! Some even make rice puddings with soy milk. While some IBSers say soy products give them gas, I don't find this a problem for myself. Even so, if you are presently taking Lomotil or an equivalent, then gas should not be a problem with soy products. You've already got that covered.

You decide what works for YOU!... ... and enjoy eating what tastes good and is very healthy. There will come a point where you have found your personal path to IBS stability, and likely may not even need the Lomotil any more except when you've exceeded your gut limitations.

--------------------

Here's a good link for protein info... new
      #357016 - 03/26/10 03:36 PM
Windchimes

http://www.vrg.org/nutrition/protein.htm

--------------------

#357023 - 03/26/10 11:23 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Spinach, tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, most anything green ... they always bother me.

Squash, carrots, zuccni, mushrooms, chicken, turkey, most fish, & bananas are safe for me.

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 2075 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3543

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review