All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
What is your personal 'battle plan' for stopping an attack? (IBS-D)
      #356922 - 03/23/10 11:38 AM
PABeachBum

Reged: 06/13/08

It seems everybody has a ritual they go through for hopefully stopping a D attack in its tracks and getting back to stability. For me its pretty much plain foods, anti-spasmoids, heating pad, and just time. However I can always use advice and learn a lot from others.

Whats your bag of tricks?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Super duper strong peppermint tea... new
      #356924 - 03/23/10 12:09 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

that works faster for me than just about anything. I rely on it to stop pain asap but it stops diarrhea quickly too.

Altoids can sub in a pinch...

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Super duper strong peppermint tea... new
      #356937 - 03/23/10 02:22 PM
Wendy1234

Reged: 02/06/08

I agree about the peppermint tea. It needs to be really strong, but it is perfect for stopping my cramping during an attack. I love it.

Re: What is your personal 'battle plan' for stopping an attack? (IBS-D) new
      #356938 - 03/23/10 06:21 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Lots of white rice!... seasoned however you like it. I also use Heather's Acacia fiber prophylactily daily to help control potential diarrhea symptoms as well as her peppermint capsules to control gas and abdominal pain... works for me!

Wishing you the very best in finding your own path to IBS stability...

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Re: Super duper strong peppermint tea... new
      #356943 - 03/24/10 03:04 AM
Windchimes

Yep!... I totally agree here!

For solid food I rely on white rice. For stopping the pain and cramping, Heather's peppermint tea is the absolute best for almost immediate relief...

Even so, we need to get some food into our 'gut' and I find white rice to be safe and not cause me more symptoms while I stabilize. You can make a rice soup with low fat, low sodium chicken or veggie broth and toss a handful of rice into that.

I cook rice twice a week in my rice cooker and keep in my frige. I'm never without cooked rice and add it to many dishes and sometimes just warm and eat it with seasoning to get me through one of those 'not so good' days.

--------------------

#356945 - 03/24/10 03:58 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

For me its usually Ginger tea and yoga that helps.Sometimes just sitting down and doing something like coloring helps. COloring doesnt have to be just for kids!

#356949 - 03/24/10 08:04 AM
Windchimes

Allisonmary... As strange as your suggestion may sound to some, I think it is a VERY good one. No matter how old we get we still need to find ways to nurture that little child in us. I already have a large box of crayons, and the next time I go to Dollar Tree, I'm going to pick up a couple of coloring books for myself!

A few years ago, I purchased a couple of 'lullaby' music CD's to fall asleep with. I slept like a lamb. Even today, I sometimes pull one of those out to drift off to sleep with. Even lullaby music is not just for children, adults also can benefit from those soothing sounds and comforting words.

Thanks for posting about the coloring books. I can remember my mother coloring with my granddaughter (her great-grandaughter) and thoroughly enjoying that in her old age!

--------------------

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1505 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2361

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review