All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Basic question
      #356762 - 03/17/10 11:35 AM
Cyndy

Reged: 03/05/05

Why can some people tolerate and be helped by Acacia, and others can't tolerate or find relief from it?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Basic question new
      #356763 - 03/17/10 11:53 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Some soluble fiber supplements are fermented by colonic bacteria in some people differently than other people. For example while many IBSers cannot handle soluble fiber supplements containing FOS because it ferments too rapidly producing lots of gas others can. Similarly, while most IBSers can handle psyllium because it contains 1/3 insoluble fiber others cannot tolerate it. It has a lot to do with the composition of the colonic flora which differs from person to person.

You may have to try a few different soluble fiber supplements until you find one that works for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356766 - 03/17/10 12:21 PM
Cyndy

Quote:

Some soluble fiber supplements are fermented by colonic bacteria

But I thought acacia didn't ferment like some of the others.

#356767 - 03/17/10 12:29 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - acacia ferments slowly in the gut, which makes it unlikely to cause gas and bloating. FOS and inulin ferment rapidly, which can cause gas and bloating even in people who don't have IBS.

Big rule of thumb for any fiber supplement is start at a low dose and increase gradually. A starting dose of acacia is only 1/2 tsp twice daily, and that should be increased by 1/2 tsp to one dose every 4 days or so.

Within those generalities, there are always going to be differences with individuals. What works for you is what matters, so try a variety, try them carefully, follow directions, give something at least a week or two, and see what ends up working best for you.

I do fine with psyllium (and was shocked to learn from book reader feedback that so many people with IBS do not). I feel like I'm having a heart attack when I use inulin (and I am not prone to bloating or gas). I have the best results by far with acacia senegal. You may have the exact opposite experiences.

Follow your gut.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#356768 - 03/17/10 12:31 PM
Syl

Acacia is a fermentable soluble fiber supplement that is why Heather recommends increasing the dose slowly. If you want a non-fermentable soluble fiber supplement you might try one containing calcium polycarbophil such as Fibercon

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#356769 - 03/17/10 12:42 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

While all of us differ in our needs and gut reactions, I must honestly say that Heather's acacia and peppermint capsules have worked miracles for my body. I will take them and recommend them forever to friends and family who are experiencing IBS symptoms and beyond.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#356772 - 03/17/10 01:10 PM
julieb123

Reged: 07/19/07
Loc: uk liverpool

wish i newso i could help you hope you get well soon

--------------------
ibs c with trapped gas

Heather have you ... new
      #356774 - 03/17/10 03:42 PM
Syl

seen this interesting document? I presume you have but if you don't have it I can email it to you

Phillips, G. O., Ogasawara, T., & Ushida, K. (2008). The regulatory and scientific approach to defining gum arabic (Acacia senegal and Acacia seyal) as a dietary fibre . Food Hydrocolloids 8th International Hydrocolloids Conference, 22(1), 24-35

--------------------

Re: Heather have you ... new
      #356775 - 03/17/10 03:56 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Would love it, thanks! I've seen other interesting stuff from those conferences but not this one.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#356805 - 03/19/10 06:31 AM
Cyndy

I still don't really understand why. If you increase it slowly and it's soluble fiber, it should be fine for everyone. I just don't get it. I guess I'll stop trying to figure it out and just accept it? Darn.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2603 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3319

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review