All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
Helped me when i was not able to cook for myself...
      #355208 - 02/03/10 08:20 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

http://www.getbigger.com/product770.html

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Helped me when i was not able to cook for myself... new
      #355209 - 02/04/10 02:52 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

i used barley grass powder early in my ibs when i did not know better. it is LOADED with insoluble fiber!

i also used powdered (freeze dried) barley grass JUICE which can be found online and is safe for most people.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

#355210 - 02/04/10 02:57 AM
Windchimes

I reduced the amount of barley powder, used rice milk, and added Heather's Acacia to the mix to balance out the IF and SF.

--------------------

#355211 - 02/04/10 03:23 AM
capricorn1942

organic barley juice powder:

http://www.amazon.com/Certified-Barley-Grass-Juice-Powder/dp/B001TEKO6G/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&s=hpc&qid=1265282436&sr=8-7

--------------------

#355212 - 02/04/10 04:32 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks Windchimes for the link!

#355213 - 02/04/10 04:34 AM
Gerikat

There is always a way to balance it out, isn't there? Adding acacia, good tip for others who would say you can't use it.

High in IF new
      #355214 - 02/04/10 04:56 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Barley powder has a high amount of insoluble fiber, up to 30% by dry weight. Many of us, particularly those with D, would have trouble with this product even when mixed it a soluble fiber supplement.

Windchimes, are you IBS-C, IBS-D or IBS-A? It would be helpful if you put it in your signature so others known when you post.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#355215 - 02/04/10 05:00 AM
capricorn1942

ok, by yor logic, ibsers need not avoid insoluble fiber foods as this site recommends - just mix in plenty of acacia! this makes no sense.

i think you would need large quantities of acacia to balance off the high concentration of insoluble fiber in barley grass.

if you want the high concentration of nutrients in barley grass, just use the barley grass juice.

--------------------

For Syl new
      #355220 - 02/04/10 07:46 AM
Windchimes

Syl, I am IBS-D and presently stable. This info is in my bio when you click on my user name. I'm one of those 'computer retards' who doesn't have a clue how to get the info to show at the bottom of each post.

--------------------

Align new
      #355221 - 02/04/10 07:53 AM
squeaker

Reged: 03/08/06

Has anyone had experience with the product Align? I heard it was a good addition to the Heather diet!

#355223 - 02/04/10 08:02 AM
Windchimes

We need the insoluable fibers as well, and Heather clearly states this in her books as well as the information posted at this site. It's more a matter of balancing both the soluable and the insoluable when we consume food.

I personally never experienced a problem with the barley juice powder when mixed with rice milk and some Acacia.

As we all have learned here, everyone is different. I was simply sharing something that helped me feel better during a time of transition when I was not able to cook much of anything.

--------------------

Re: Align new
      #355224 - 02/04/10 08:04 AM
Syl

If you search the board you will find a number of postings on Align. Clinical trials have shown Align to be beneficial for some. Some people on the board have had good success while others have not noticed a difference. You may have to give it a try for 2-3 weeks and see how it goes.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

Re: For Syl new
      #355225 - 02/04/10 08:07 AM
Syl

To set your signature select "My Home" near the top of this page and then under "Main Configuration" select Edit for "Personal information, email, password, etc.". The 5th box on the page has place for you to enter you signature information.

--------------------

Re: For Syl new
      #355226 - 02/04/10 08:32 AM
Windchimes

Thanks Syl, this wasn't all that difficult once I took my computer anti-virus / anti-spyware program off of parental controls and into Administrator mode.

--------------------

#355227 - 02/04/10 08:39 AM
capricorn1942

Yes, you are right we need both types of fiber but we need to be very careful with insoluble fiber and keep it down to small amounts. You are also right that each one of us is different and can tolerate more or less of the IF.

The point here is that if you suggest a high IF product such as barley grass powder, you should accompany it with the caveats you are suggesting now. Otherwise newbies (or others) might use the product and not be aware of the need to be careful.

Cheers.

--------------------

#355228 - 02/04/10 09:00 AM
Windchimes

Little Minnie is one of the Moderators of this board. She frequently responds to posts. This what her bio says:

"IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!"

--------------------

#355229 - 02/04/10 09:14 AM
capricorn1942

Exactly:

"Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution"

You did not advise caution in your post just like Little Minnie does.

I think we have been over this point enough times and I am sure you understand it. I will not participate in this thread any longer.

Cheers.

--------------------

#355231 - 02/04/10 10:01 AM
Syl

Heather states it best "You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem."

For some of us as much as safely possible means almost none. The only insoluble fiber many of us can handle is the amount in small portion of peeled and softly boiled veggies.

--------------------

#355234 - 02/04/10 10:18 AM
Windchimes

We are all very different, aren't we? It seems a matter of personal trial and error and reading all we can again and again from Heather's books and her recommendations on this site. I love looking at the Recipe Board, collecting and trying out new recipes. I've learned what I can and cannot eat as well as how to balance out a meal with SF and IF. Perhaps I am one of the luckier ones here as to a broader diet than some.

--------------------

#355236 - 02/04/10 10:40 AM
Windchimes

I am not an expert nor a Moderator of these boards. I assume that Moderators will add recommendations to posts. I only know what my own body can tolerate and I'm willing to share that. I welcome questions as to how I use whatever, etc. Most of us on these boards already know the basics of balance from Heather's books and reading her threads about clinical studies around IBS. It seems we all need to do our own homework for the best personal outcome overall.

--------------------

#355238 - 02/04/10 10:52 AM
Windchimes

Capricorn, Barley grass juice is made from a high concentrated powder just like from the links that both of us provided from two different sites. It's a concentrated powder meant to be mixed with liquid. I haven't seen any liquid already mixed juice in my rural stores. Making our own from the concentrated powder is the only alternative that most of us seemingly have. It is highly nutritious if one can tolerate it. The only way to know is to give it a reasonable try. I happened to be one who tolerated it very well and better nourished for having used it during a major transition in my life.

--------------------

#355265 - 02/04/10 05:12 PM
Gerikat

Hey Windchimes, thanks! I need bunches of IF, but that's just me.

#355266 - 02/04/10 05:14 PM
Gerikat

Yep and that includes IF.

#355276 - 02/05/10 03:38 AM
capricorn1942

No, the link you provided was for barley grass powder which is made by grinding dried barley grass into a powder - lots of IF.

Barley grass juice powder is made by squeezing the juice from fresh barley grass and freeze drying - no IF or SF.

You are either very naive or like to appear that way. You never seem to get an issue straight and you go on and on with your misconceptions.

If you are stable, you should be trying to help others by not (trying to) confuse issues.

If you want more IF, there are a myriad of foods to get it from.

Cheers.

--------------------

For Capricorn1942 new
      #355277 - 02/05/10 03:50 AM
Windchimes

The link you provided from Amazon.com is also a powder. You also said that you were not going to post on this thread any more. What is the problem? We are here to share what has worked for us personally, not here to critisize one another. It is not a perfect world that we live in, though we can be supportive to one another and pass on posts that we know we personally can consume based on our own experience(s).

--------------------

THIS SITE DOES NOT SAY TO AVOID IF new
      #355314 - 02/05/10 04:33 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

IT SAYS TO EAT IT MORE CAREFULLY.
IF page
Quote:

One glance will tell you these insoluble fiber foods are the best (and tastiest) around, but your colon simply can't handle it if you eat them with abandon. You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem.

Mixing SF with IF is in fact exactly what is recommended. However, everyone's tolerance for IF is different. In my experience those with C can tolerate more than those with D.
Notice I changed my signature a couple days ago to talk about the importance of IF.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

The thing with insoluble fiber new
      #355315 - 02/05/10 04:49 PM
Little Minnie

As I posted above, even Heather says IF is necessary and can be eaten in a safe way with practice and know-how. The problem with IF is that many people get completely scared away from it because other people can handle so little. So if someone D like Syl says he can't eat this or that because he is so sensitive to IF, someone with C who needs more IF will think they also can't eat any IF. And there tends to be an unfounded fear of IF like it is forbidden completely.

The Break the Cycle diet is only supposed to be temporary because it is unhealthy and not necessary.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Please keep your posts kind and polite to others. Thank you. -nt- new
      #355318 - 02/05/10 04:57 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Right on the money. And powdered insoluble fiber new
      #355319 - 02/05/10 04:58 PM
HeatherAdministrator

is one of the safest forms (because it has been mechanically broken down to such a great degree).

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Please keep your posts kind and polite to others. Thank you. -nt- new
      #355324 - 02/05/10 05:15 PM
Gerikat

Heather, thank you!

Re: THIS SITE DOES NOT SAY TO AVOID IF new
      #355327 - 02/06/10 02:45 AM
capricorn1942

See my post earlier in this thread above repeated here:

Yes, you are right we need both types of fiber but we need to be very careful with insoluble fiber and keep it down to small amounts. You are also right that each one of us is different and can tolerate more or less of the IF.

The point here is that if you suggest a high IF product such as barley grass powder, you should accompany it with the caveats you are suggesting now. Otherwise newbies (or others) might use the product and not be aware of the need to be careful.

Cheers.

--------------------

Psyllium Husk new
      #355328 - 02/06/10 05:44 AM
capricorn1942

I use 20 cc (about 1.35 tablespoons) of psyllium husk with each meal. It is 70% SF and 30% IF. I keep my other sources of IF low. Is psyllium husk a good source of IF? Why is psyllium husk not reccomended on this website?

Cheers.

--------------------

Re: Psyllium Husk new
      #355329 - 02/06/10 06:52 AM
Syl

Psyllium husk is an excellent source of both IF and SF. I used it regularly for many years. It is the soluble fiber supplement most tested in clinical trials and frequently recommended by doctors. In 2007 the British Gastroenterology Society and recently the US College of Gastroenterologists released guidelines for the practical treatment of IBS. Both organizations reported that psyllium is moderately effective for managing IBS.

I also recalled reading on the website that psyllium made symptoms worse which was contrary to my experience. While researching the topic I came across a discrepancy between an abstract report in the research library and the actual abstract of the original article published in the prestigous GI research journal GUT.

The original article concluded "Conclusions: Consumption of a high fibre diet retards intestinal gas transit by decreasing bolus propulsion to the rectum. Thus, in addition to increasing gas production by colonic flora, fibre ingestion may elicit gaseous symptoms by promoting gas retention."

The conclusion mistakenly reported in the library was "Conclusions: Consumption of a high psyllium fibre diet retards intestinal gas transit by decreasing bolus propulsion to the rectum. Thus, in addition to increasing gas production by colonic flora, psyllium fibre ingestion may elicit gaseous symptoms by promoting gas retention."

The word "fibre" was replaced with the words "psyllium fibre" throughout the reported abstract. This mistake leads to the questionable conclusion that psyllium is responsible for increase gas retention when in fact the research actually reported that fiber maybe responsible for increase gas retention. I reported this error to Heather in March of last year.

This small study on 10 healthy subjects artificially injected mixtures of gases through a tube into jejunum and collected the expelled gas. The authors acknowledge that it is unclear whether pysllium or other fiber supplements affect the transit of naturally produced GI gases in the same manner. Also, the psyllium was taken with normal meals that contained other dietary fibers. The effects of the psyllium could have been confounded by dietary fibers in the meals.

Perhaps the misreported abstract partially contributed to some of the negative comments about psyllium fiber increasing intestinal gas in some IBSers.

--------------------

Re: Psyllium Husk new
      #355330 - 02/06/10 07:18 AM
capricorn1942

Thank you for your insightful response and your fine detective work in discovering this error.

Cheers.

--------------------

I agree new
      #355340 - 02/06/10 05:12 PM
Little Minnie

whenever we mention any IF food we should say, as I do, that it is eaten with or after SF. When I recommend oranges, for instance, I say eat them after a banana or mango.
However, it is impossible to not confuse some of the people some of the time. believe me!

--------------------

It seems to give a lot of people bloating and gas... new
      #355390 - 02/08/10 11:24 AM
HeatherAdministrator

if it works for you, great, that's what counts. I don't recommend it as a fiber supplement for IBS because it's not 100% soluble fiber. And I've heard from too many people about the bloating/gas issue.

But again, if it doesn't bother you, then that's all that matters.

- H

--------------------

Re: It seems to give a lot of people bloating and gas... new
      #355811 - 02/15/10 07:20 AM
capricorn1942

Psyllium husk is certainly no magic bullet. On the other hand, I have not found anything that is. It has its advantages and disadvantages like anything else.

I have been using it for a long time - it provides me with a source of both SF and IF. It seems to provide more girth to my stools than otherwise.

It is my main source of IF.

I do get bloating and gas, some days a little and some days a lot and some of it may come from the psyllium.

Since we do need both SF and IF in our diet, it seems to me to be a reasonable strategy to get them both from the same source.

Cheers.

--------------------

not necessarily new
      #355849 - 02/15/10 03:33 PM
Little Minnie

A big reason we need SF and IF is for the nutrition in those foods. IF foods especially have a lot of needed nutrients. If you get so much fiber from a fiber supplement it shouldn't take the place of real fruits and vegetables. There is nothing wrong with the idea of ingesting IF and SF together; that is a good plan. But it is better to eat IF than supplement with it.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 580 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 17017

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review