All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Re: What is stable, really? new
      #355139 - 02/01/10 09:28 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Mike, it would seem to me that you are stable having arrested your diarrhea problem for six months now. Thank you for sharing your success with the diet.

As for the abdominal pain and discomfort, I have been able to eliminate that entirely with Heather's peppermint capsules, one in the morning and one in the evening, both taken one hour before I eat.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Until one is stable... new
      #355142 - 02/01/10 10:00 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I have a feeling I've missed a lot of the backstory on this but since the topic is near and dear to my heart, I'm going to jump in anyhow.

I've never believed it's appropriate for people to use these Boards to argue that Heather's approach is wrong or that she doesn't know what she's talking about. The whole point of the Boards is to provide support for people who want to try Heather's approach. So if someone wants to insist that dairy products are fine or soluble fiber is nonsense, this isn't the place for them.

However, if someone has tried Heather's approach and it hasn't worked, I think it's perfectly fine to post saying, "I tried this, it didn't work for me, here's what I'm going to try next, bye-bye" and then leave. If someone who didn't have success with Heather's approach leaves, tries something else, and has wonderful success with that approach, I think it would be great if they would come back and say so. I believe that what we currently call IBS will turn out to be a whole bundle of different conditions which makes it logical that even an approach like Heather's, which works wonderfully for many people, won't work for everyone. If something else does, it's courteous to come back here and say so. Not because that means Heather's approach is wrong but because something different may work better for someone who isn't having success with this approach.

Nonetheless, I don't see anything wrong with people discussing what they're trying in the medication and treatment lines, whether prescription, over the counter, or alternative. I'm IBS-D but when I was active on the Boards I would tell people who were IBS-C that other Board members had said they were successful using a stool softener or adding more insoluble fiber or whatever. Similarly, I never took Imodium daily as a precaution myself but I don't see anything wrong with my telling someone who's IBS-D and miserable that it's worth a try. Similarly, I read discussions about Lotronex long before anyone had tried it - and participated in those discussions myself. I can read and ask questions of my GI guy; I was able to figure out the risks and rewards of various medications and don't see anything wrong with passing that knowledge along to other people on the Board who might benefit from it.

Am I super-interested in the biology behind IBS? Nope. Frankly, ShawnEric's posts make my eyes glaze over. So I don't read them. But if people who are interested learn from his posts that some studies show that Eye of Newt and Tongue of Bat have been shown to be effective in treating IBS, then good for him and for them. They can ask their GI about it. There's no harm in suggesting things. I think we're all intelligent enough to evaluate the difference between "I hear such and such works well" and "I tried such and such and it was like a miracle" and then make our own decisions about what we do and don't want to try.

As for confusing newbies, yes, that can be a problem. I honestly believe that newbies are better off reading Heather's book and/or the Website outside the Boards first, and only coming to the Boards when they understand what Heather's approach really is. The Boards tend to deal with questions at the margins, so you hear about people who cannot tolerate rice and people who can tolerate egg yolks. Interesting and useful once you understand Heather's diet but confusing to someone who is hoping to learn all the ins and outs of the diet from the Boards. I realize, however, that it's unlikely newbies are going to stay off the Boards so I simply hope that people on the Boards will be clear about how what they are doing or suggesting differs from Heather's guidelines and refrain from assuring newbies that they don't really need to do all that stuff Heather suggests. I also hope that newbies will understand that they really need to do the reading outside the Boards in order to make informed decisions for themselves.

I think part of your concern, Windchimes, may arise from the fact that this is not a forum where we share our Experience, Strength, and Hope in the way that trio is usually thought of. Crosstalk is encouraged; advice is sought and welcome when given; mentioning professional credentials is perfectly valid and does give someone's advice more weight. The slogans for these Boards would be Each One Teach One and Live and Let Live.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

windchimes new
      #355146 - 02/01/10 12:24 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I got that out of your post. You were saying when people advise others on stuff but have no proof that their advice works it can harm others.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Nonsense -nt new
      #355162 - 02/02/10 02:16 AM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

This is not nonsense, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. new
      #355175 - 02/02/10 12:16 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Her statement, "I discourage anyone suggesting things that they have not tried nor had success with," makes perfect sense.

The boards are supposed be focused on the Eating for IBS diet. If that doesn't work for you, this is not the board for you. Obviously there are individual variations and shades of gray, but suggestions that are radically outside the dietary guidelines are not appropriate for this forum.

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This is not nonsense, it's a perfectly reasonable suggestion. new
      #355178 - 02/02/10 01:24 PM
capricorn1942

Reged: 10/06/03

Yes, this is obviously a true statement if what is meant is that we should not mislead others. But in this case, does it even need to be said? Also, many members point out studies and other articles about drugs/supplements they have not personally tried. I appreciate all honest postings and have not found any to be otherwise.

Is it also true that until relatively stable one should not post...?

I do follow the EFI diet fairly closely and I use your peppermint capsules. I get some help from each. I still have all IBS-D (pseudo) symptoms - pain, discomfort, bloat, etc.

I stick with this board for:

1. The solace I get from reading posts from sincere board members who are always trying to help.
2. The fact that I have never gotten any help from IBS drugs prescribed by doctors, chinese medicine, naturopathic doctors, and etc.
3. It seems to be the only game in town with any plausible, somewhat effective way of dealing with IBS.

--------------------
ibs-d (pseudo)with pain and bloating

All of your points are great... new
      #355184 - 02/02/10 03:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

And no, someone doesn't have to be stable in order to post. That would sort of defeat the whole purpose of the boards.

But, I would hope that people would do a LOT of reading first, familiarize themselves with the diet, learn the safe foods and triggers, and then ask questions about the areas where they're having trouble or are unclear.

Coming in cold and asking broad questions makes it hard for people to give much help in a post. There's too much introductory info people need to absorb first, before they can have specific questions to ask.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 233 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6582

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review