All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Fiber supplements in CANADA
      #35205 - 01/05/04 08:01 AM
zf

Reged: 01/05/04

Hi! I am new to this message board. I have Heather's book and have read her website. My problem is that I want to take a soluble fiber supplement each day, but here in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, I cannot find anything without psyllium in it and my worst IBS problem is bloating and gas. If I start taking a low dose of Metamucil every day, will it really make my symptoms worse? I have thought about ordering the acacia from Heather, but with the exchange rate and the shipping it will be too expensive. Any ideas? Thanks.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Fiber supplements in CANADA new
      #35423 - 01/05/04 06:34 PM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Hello, fellow Canadian. I would revisit the ordering from Heather again. The shipping isn't nearly as bad as you think .... and the exchange rate's better than it's ever been. Heather's prices are good to begin with, ... and if it's your health you're considering ... at least we don't blow our money on steaks here. Consider it a savings in having to take less imodium (if you're IBS-D)
If you're more likely to bloat, the more likely the psyllium will bother you. You can always try the metamucil - some people can take it just fine. My guess is though you'll run into problems. The acacia fiber really is the best option.

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

Edited by HanSolo (01/05/04 06:36 PM)

#35433 - 01/05/04 07:05 PM
louise

Reged: 02/05/03
Loc: canada

hi; if thuis helps st all, the acacia price is already in american dollars so the exchange may not be that bad. I wouldn't think so.

#35435 - 01/05/04 07:06 PM
louise

another thought; can you put a price on health?

#35436 - 01/05/04 07:08 PM
louise

I agree with hans!

#35460 - 01/06/04 07:30 AM
zf

Hi, thanks for your reply. Okay, I ordered the Acacia. I am desparate. I get diarhhea and take Immodium, then I get constipated and take Metamucil, then I get bloated! My worst IBS probelm is always bloating and gas, even when my BMs are somewhat normal. I am 29 and have had IBS for about 7 years and it has been really bad for some reason the past 8 months. All the vitamins I take and the herbal teas really add up$$. I also take meds and pills for other medical problems I have and it really gets expensive for me, even with my insurance covereage. Anyway, hopefully the Acacia will help me!

#35491 - 01/06/04 11:52 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Start gradually with the Acacia - just 1 teaspoon once or twice a day. Work your way up slowly, so your gut adjusts to the fiber. And drink plenty of water.

Stopping the Metamucil will help the bloating asap. Taking the Acacia regularly will normalize your bowel function, so you won't spiral between constipation and diarrhea. Just give your gut a chance to adjust to the fiber, and to work up to the dose you'll need to truly even things out. This could take several weeks - you'll want to work up to 2-3 tablespoons per day (divided doses, preferably).

For the bloating and gas, fennel tea is the best thing. Peppermint tea or enteric coated capsules can also help, but I'd give fennel the edge. If you buy the teas loose leaf and in bulk, it's a fraction of the cost of tea bags. You'll also get much higher quality tea, with more volatile oils, which makes the brew stronger and thus more effective. You can get a pound of Fennel Tummy Tea or Peppermint Tummy Tea for less money than ten boxes of tea bags - and the tea itself is MUCH stronger and more potent. That should help keep your costs down. IBS should not be costing you a fortune in supplements.

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#35505 - 01/06/04 12:18 PM
zf

Okay, thanks! Can`t take the peppermint capsules though, have serious acid reflux. Will start very slow with the Acacia, I have a good feeling about it. And since I will stop buying Metamucil and hopefully the Imodium too I will reduce my costs already. Thanks for your help! Cheers!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 663 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4884

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review