All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Another addition......
      #351870 - 11/09/09 07:33 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

So today my doctor calls and tells me I am lactose intolerant. Just another addition to the wonderful world of IBS. Its like I am becoming an involuntary vegetarian. Ok....I still eat chicken. It'll all work out. He is supposed to send me a diet for that but when I asked about the IBS he said he doesn't have a specific diet he follows. Thats fine though because I am gonna follow Heather's diet. It always seems to get me where I need to be. Thanks Heather!

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Another addition...... new
      #351898 - 11/10/09 11:18 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Just fyi

Even lactose intolerant can drink milk

http://www.nutritionatc.hawaii.edu/HO/2000/86.htm

a persons body produces "an intestinal enzyme, lactase" and a lot of people with lactose intolerence can tolerate small amounts of diary. When you go over the lactase amount your body personally makes you can get symptoms. Of coruse diary also has fat which can trigger IBS, but it doesn't mean you have to cut it out altogether, but might need to reduce the amount to what you can personally tolerate. Say for example a half a glass of milk. Your body might produce enough lactase do digest that amount, but when you go over you can have a problem.

also you can try things like Lactaid and see if it helps.

http://www.lactaid.com/page2.jhtml?id=/lactaid/health/health.inc

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

This actually doesn't matter since it's best to avoid dairy for IBS altogether... new
      #351900 - 11/10/09 11:20 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

it's not just the lactose, it's the fat, and the dairy proteins like casein and whey.

The good part is it's really easy to just use soy, rice, or nut substitutes for everything from milk to cheese to ice creams.

All the IBS recipes are already dairy-free so no worries.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: This actually doesn't matter since it's best to avoid dairy for IBS altogether... new
      #351918 - 11/10/09 12:46 PM
bamalakegirl30

I agree. I almost feel like the test was useless but went ahead anyway. I was already using Rice Milk. My problem is cheese. What for that? Veggie Cheese has casein. Now what?

--------------------

Re: This actually doesn't matter since it's best to avoid dairy for IBS altogether... new
      #351939 - 11/10/09 03:22 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

You can get vegan cheese without casein but it doesn't taste very good. I eat the kind with casein (Lisanti brand). That little amount of dairy protein is lactose free and as long as a huge amount isn't eaten it is fine.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#351941 - 11/10/09 03:32 PM
shawneric

I understand the fat for sure and the lactose, but what is problematic with "dairy proteins like casein and whey." and digestion?

I am just curious.

Also, Soy cheeses, for example, often contain casein derived from milk.

--------------------

You can get vegan cheese, and even the ones that do add casein new
      #351947 - 11/10/09 05:41 PM
HeatherAdministrator

add very minimal amounts, and no whey. It's very different than the amount you'd get from dairy.

I have to stand by this - dairy is one of the greatest IBS triggers. It's really rare that someone can eat all the dairy they want and stay stable at the same time. My two cents, but it's an important aspect of the IBS diet this board is devoted to.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#351948 - 11/10/09 05:43 PM
bamalakegirl30

I am one of the ones who actually can't tolerate the milk. I was out of my rice milk one week and decided to just buy organic fat free milk.....the next two weeks were awful....I will stick with the Rice Milk because I actually like it. I have been able to eat yogurt with no major problems. But I definitely cannot eat cheese or ice cream, but I don't miss them that much.

--------------------

Re: You can get vegan cheese, and even the ones that do add casein new
      #351950 - 11/10/09 05:45 PM
bamalakegirl30

In my IBS life it's my main trigger. I have been using the Rice Milk for over a year. I just stopped eating cheese for a long time. I never ate much ice cream anyway so that was not a problem at all. My second biggest trigger is any red meat and most of my symptoms do not appear the day I eat the trigger food.....it's usually a day or two after.

--------------------

Re: You can get vegan cheese, and even the ones that do add casein new
      #351952 - 11/10/09 05:47 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Has anyone read the China Study By T.Colin and Thomas Campbell? It addresses casein. An interesting read.

That's exactly what I hear most often about trigger foods - new
      #351953 - 11/10/09 05:48 PM
HeatherAdministrator

red meat is number one, and dairy is number two. Over and over and over again...

Best,
H

--------------------

Re: That's exactly what I hear most often about trigger foods - new
      #352024 - 11/11/09 04:35 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I gave hub a special treat of beef and broccoli stir fry and he didn't poo for 2 days- unusual for him. He always knows what foods do what to his body (sometimes that is annoying) and even for him a non-IBSer for sure, beef is bad news to the gut. Remember the "Beef filled colon" episode of King of the Hill.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#352027 - 11/11/09 06:03 PM
TinaD760

Reged: 06/23/09

I have been having rice milk too and it doesn't upset me. I did however just switched to almond milk..and man..my stomach has been doing flip flops all day

#352063 - 11/12/09 08:48 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Shawneric

You may find the reference below of some interest.

Reference
Anthoni, S., Savilahti, E., Rautelin, H., & Kolho, K. L. (2009). Milk protein IgG and IgA: The association with milk-induced gastrointestinal symptoms in adults . World Journal of Gastroenterology, 15(39), 4915-4918

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352090 - 11/13/09 09:11 AM
shawneric

Syl, I am going to stay out of this discussion really.

But you might be interested in this as well.

Australasian Society of Clinical Immunology and Allergy

Unorthodox Techniques for the Diagnosis and Treatment of Allergy, Asthma and Immune Disorders

"Inappropriate use of Conventional Testing
Adverse consequences may also arise if conventional laboratory tests are used in inappropriate clinical situations, or where results are presented in a manner amenable to misinterpretation.

Food specific IgG, IgG4
Use: Diagnosis of food sensitivity / allergy.

Method: Antibodies to food are measured using standard laboratory techniques.

Evidence: Level II

Comment: IgG antibodies to food are commonly detectable in healthy adult patients and children, independent of the presence of absence of food-related symptoms. There is no credible evidence that measuring IgG antibodies is useful for diagnosing food allergy or intolerance, nor that IgG antibodies cause symptoms. In fact, IgG antibodies reflect exposure to allergen but not the presence of disease. The exception is that gliadin IgG antibodies are sometimes useful in monitoring adherence to a gluten-free diet patients with histologically confirmed coeliac disease. Otherwise, inappropriate use of food allergy testing (or misinterpretation of results) in patients with inhalant allergy, for example, may lead to inappropriate and unnecessary dietary restrictions, with particular nutritional implications in children. Despite studies showing the uselessness of this technique, it continues to be promoted in the community, even for diagnosing disorders for which no evidence of immune system involvement exists."

http://www.allergy.org.au/pospapers/unorthodox.htm

I understand fats and other reasons for diary to be a trigger.

--------------------

#352091 - 11/13/09 10:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Thanks. The two are unrelated. The paper I pointed you to does not discuss Ig diagnostic procedure -- it is simply used as a research tool

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#352113 - 11/13/09 08:57 PM
bamalakegirl30

Rice milk is great. I have not tried the Almond milk because of nut allergies. Has anyone had Oat Milk. I have heard of this but have not seen it anywhere and wasn't sure how it tastes.

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1835 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6305

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review