All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
A restaurant guide?
      #351308 - 10/28/09 05:00 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

Has there ever been an eating out guide for IBS? It would be nice to see suggestions for different chain restaurants or different ethnic restaurants for IBS sufferers so that if we are eating out, we can eat safe foods. JUst a thought.....

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

We had this going a while back, but new
      #351309 - 10/28/09 05:02 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

the information goes out of date so very quickly. If folks want to compile a new list I'd be happy to make a new sticky post out of it.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: We had this going a while back, but new
      #351362 - 10/29/09 06:43 PM
askmom

Reged: 09/28/09

So what are you looking for? Just the names of the restaurants? Or more specific like the restaurant name and menu items?

#351375 - 10/30/09 10:01 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It would have to be specific to a restaurant and the menu items.

There is helpful general restaurant info in EFI and the diet section of the site. What people have asked for is a list of restaurant names and the exact menu items they can safely order. That's why the info that has previously been compiled goes out of date so fast.

- H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

just a thought.. new
      #351377 - 10/30/09 10:44 AM
Aly

Reged: 08/16/04
Loc: Columbus, Ohio

This list is also hard to compile b/c at most places you can order something basic, but almost always have to change a few things in order to make it safe. (aka less oil, not butter, etc...) So making a list would be difficult. I wouldn't want people thinking they could just go order A, B or C off the menu, ya know? Maybe I'm not writing this well, but I'm just trying to say that I almost always have to tweak anything I order...

--------------------
IBS-A

#351381 - 10/30/09 01:06 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

I think it is aassumed regardless of the the list we know the specifics of how we have to eat. The list could be general recommendations for restuarants and then it would obviously be up to us to request the specifics of how we want it prepared. Obviously there are definite things we would not order. Like a potato but no butter or cheese; just plain. I think it would just be helpful especially for people who are new to the program to have something to refer to. Some people with children would have to take their child to McDonalds or Burger King at some point. So what would they order for themselves to not feel deprived. Or say you are going to a steakhouse or BBQ place for a family gathering. I dont know. Maybe its too difficult to compile such a list. What do you guys think?

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

Re: just a thought.. new
      #351395 - 10/31/09 08:52 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I agree. There have been issues like that here recently.

When I eat out I know that the meal is hardly ever 100% safe but the closest I can find. Generally eating out occassionally is ok but if you were to eat out often even the near safe things would eventually cause problems. When it comes to restaurant eating it generally will not be as safe as cooking for yourself.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Some places that I have found safe. new
      #351469 - 11/02/09 08:18 AM
emmasmom

Reged: 09/22/06
Loc: ILL

Hi these are the places I have found safe. Please take into thought that these places have agreed with me and I always bring my own butter and dressing when I go. I also take beano before hand and have know to drink a cup of fennel tea before my meal and chew on altoid after I eat.
Cracker Barrel
grilled fish plain baked poatoes and small salad(if you can do it)
oven roasted turkey breast on sour dough bread
Lone star (steak place)
grilled chicken plain
Baked poatoe plain or sweet poatoe plain
small sald with just lettuce and tomatoe(if you can)
Olive garden
penne pasta with the 4oz grilled chicken breast with olives mushrooms, tomaotoes, zuchunnie, squash
Plain breadsticks
NO SAUCE & go easy on the oil
Ryans
baked chicken remove the skin, plain pasta or rice or plain poatoe or sweet poatoe and a very small salad
Subway & quizznos
Turkey sub on white with mushrooms olives and what ever else you can handle I have this 1 a week form either place.
NO cheese no sauce subway had a fat free french thats safe that I dip my sandwitch in its good.
Hope this helps
emmasmom
ibs- gas

Re: Some places that I have found safe. new
      #351509 - 11/02/09 04:23 PM
Little Minnie

Noodles and Co. is a great fast place with several low fat choices and you add the meat/tofu choice you want and you can have them make your food extra low fat since they make to order.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Some places that I have found safe. new
      #356320 - 03/03/10 04:59 PM
Julie E

Reged: 06/12/06

Remember, wherever you go, you want to be sure that they will happily accommodate your needs. You are looking for plain grilled/steamed/baked/broiled chicken breast or seafood and plain potato, white rice, steamed veggies, or noodles (no butter, oil, or other dairy/fat on any of it).

Here are some of the places I like to eat...

Olive Garden -
* Order Chicken Parmesan without the cheese (ask for plain - no butter, oil, etc.). Ask for the marinara sauce on the side for light dipping (if you tolerate tomato).
* Plain, dry breadsticks (no garlic butter).
* Salad (if you tolerate it) with the dressing on the side, no cheese.

Seafood restaurants (Red Lobster, etc.) -
Broiled, grilled, or steamed seafood (CLEARLY specify no butter or oil and light on the seasonings)
Plain potato (no butter or oil)
Steamed veggies (no butter or oil)
Salad (if you tolerate it) without dressing

Red Robin -
Plain grilled chicken breast and plain noodles (specify no butter/oil/dairy). I'm not sure that this is still on the menu, but they are always happy to serve it to me anyway.

Longhorn Steakhouse -
Grilled salmon - ask for a FRESH CUT (not marinated) prepared PLAIN with no butter, oil, or seasoning.
Plain baked potato (no butter, oil, or seasoning)
Steamed veggies (no butter, oil, or seasoning)
Salad (if you tolerate it) without dressing

#359776 - 07/16/10 06:01 PM
marsha62773

Reged: 07/16/10

Hi! I'm a new member here and found this thread very helpful. Thanks so much. I agree that eating out can be challenging. What I'm doing currently is checking the menu for whatever restaurant I'm going to online before I get there, so I can plan my dinner options. If they don't have anything I can eat there...I simply don't go. My friends and family love me enough to know that if I ask to go somewhere else there MUST be a good reason. If your kids want to go to McD's - take them! Get the grilled chicken wrap without the dressing and lettuce. Or maybe you can handle lettuce? Check out their menu online. Make it work for you!!! Good luck.

Re: just a thought.. *DELETED* new
      #359819 - 07/19/10 09:13 PM
BQE

Reged: 06/05/10

Post deleted by Heather

#359830 - 07/20/10 11:27 AM
Little Minnie

Oh look another crabby patty who doesn't like to be told how it is. I remember when Naturapanic jumped down my throat when I said all caffeine drinks were unsafe.

The fact is that it is very difficult to be sure everything you are eating from a restaurant or at a friend's is safe! At restaurants they sneak in lots of oil and butter, some nasty seasonings like MSG or kitchen bouquet etc, sometimes lard, Mc D was putting beef juice on their fries on the sly. I'm sorry you don't like to cook and you are having a pity party b/c you can't eat like you used to. But thems the breaks! be careful eating out often; take pep caps before; don't rely on out meals to give you nutrition or fiber; don't get pop or coffee drinks no matter how tempting; watch the fat amount and IF amount. Also don't go against advice all pissy-like and come crying that you aren't stable. There is nothing worse than that!
It isn't ridiculous to prepare food for ourselves, maybe it isn't the modern American way but it won't kill you to make a meal and bring leftovers for work. Or just get an Amy's meal or something like that instead of a restaurant all the time. A lot of people are eating out less to cut excess calories and to save money. Just think of the money you would save by packing a lunch.

--------------------

#359836 - 07/20/10 02:33 PM
BQE

Post deleted by Heather

#359837 - 07/20/10 04:10 PM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Nobody's asking you to sacrifice your life.

The truth of the matter it is difficult for many of us to go out to eat because our guts just are not stable enough to do that. It's hard to enjoy and evening out when your bowels are screaming at you to find a bathroom NOW. Been there, done that.

For example, when my IBS was really, really bad, I could hardly handle the drive to work, and it was only 10 minutes in reasonable traffic. I didn't go out to eat much at all for about 4 months, either, because I just could not handle it. Over time, it got better. By the end of that first year, I was able to go out to eat once or twice a week, but I was still very careful. Five years later, I'm happy to say I can go out to a restaurant and just about anything except beef or cheese, but it didn't happen overnight.

You don't HAVE to stay home and "cook, cook, cook," as you say, but if your IBS is not stable, you will have to tweak your lifestyle a little bit. That may mean eating at home a little more often or carrying a safe snack with you when you're away from home for more than a couple hours.

I never have been much of a drinker, so I can't speak to that part very well. However, I have tweaked the diet to my own tolerances, which I won't go into right now because they don't follow the IBS diet guidelines. IBS does not get better overnight, but give the diet a shot and see if it works for you.

#359838 - 07/20/10 04:27 PM
Little Minnie

You must be Naturapanic reincarnated. I am not telling you to do anything and certainly not to sacrifice your life. Wah. These mid 20's folks are so dramatic. If you are not stable eating out all the time and you want to be stable then something has to change. I never said you can never eat out - I did give suggestions on how to do it more safely. You really go to a fastfood restaurant every two hours? Can't you throw some food in a bag that you could snack on like the rest of us and then make yourself some dinner? Gee whiz.

--------------------

#359840 - 07/20/10 06:15 PM
Thai

Reged: 10/04/09

It IS naturopanic!!!!

--------------------
IBS-D

#359846 - 07/20/10 10:26 PM
BQE

Post deleted by Heather

#359847 - 07/20/10 10:29 PM
BQE

Post deleted by Heather

#359852 - 07/21/10 04:45 AM
Snorkie

Reged: 02/15/05
Loc: Northern Illinois, USA

Look, I was trying to be nice instead of snarky like some other responses from long-time users of this board.

You come off like you think you're the only person who has been affected by IBS and as if nobody else has suffered from IBS. Guess what? You're not. We all have this annoying, intrusive disorder that can and does disrupt life, some to a greater degree than others. I am truly sorry it has greatly disrupted your life, but I don't understand why you yell and scream at the people who are trying to help you. If the IBS diet is not working for you, go, try something else. No one's stopping you.

I spoke to you like a newbie because with only 30 post under your current handle, I thought you were a newbie. I was trying to be helpful and not to speak in a condescending tone.

The IBS diet does not work for everybody. It obviously does not work for you, so why do you continue to hang around!?

#359863 - 07/21/10 08:48 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

If the EFI diet is not working for you why don't you try something else? I know this idea has been suggested to you many times. The EFI diet does not work for everyone and there is nothing wrong with trying a different approach to see if you get better results. Explore your options and do some research to see if you can find something that will work for you.

There is no point getting mad at the people that the EFI diet does work for. Those giving you advice are only relaying the info and things that work for them. There is no guarentee that these things will work for you or anyone else.

--------------------
Janey

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 648 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10364

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review