All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
Re: Thank you new
      #351540 - 11/03/09 10:03 AM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

It is possible for them to coexist. I personally believe that Dr Pimentel jumped the gun on this one. Important research, but a little to quick to promote the "cause" before the research was done, in part because the testing wasn't that accurate to begin with, which again is really complex, not just for IBS, because of condition like Lactose intolerence and fructose and other issues. They did also know that people had sibo and din't have IBS. That made me go Hmmmmmmm?

The press also had a role in it, by jumping the gun, before more research was done.

There are symptoms sibo causes which are red flags to an IBS diagnoses, IBS does not. But it can mimick some symptoms of IBS, so the awareness about it was important as well.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thank you. -nt- new
      #351550 - 11/03/09 11:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Hi Shawn!!! new
      #351551 - 11/03/09 11:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hope you are doing well - it's been too long since I talked to you.

We're hoping to come down to Portland within the next year - would love to see you!

Will keep you posted on dates - nothing set yet but probably after the holidays.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

shawneric a multivitamin question new
      #351555 - 11/03/09 12:05 PM

Unregistered

if I posted the links to 1 or 2 multivitamins I am considering taking would you give me your opinion on them. I know you CAN'T tell me if it's going to bother me or not but Like would you tell me if there are any problematic ingredients you can spot and such?

Re: Hi Shawn!!! new
      #351570 - 11/03/09 01:40 PM
shawneric

That would be fantastic Heather and let me know. Its has been to long. Are you coming to Portland or just going through the area? It would be great to meet you both in person.

Just give me a heads up. The holidays would be bad as there is too much going on then. But after that it would be great.

--------------------

Re: shawneric a multivitamin question new
      #351571 - 11/03/09 01:46 PM
shawneric

aperson, I personally take "one a day" or "Centrum" "cardio help" ones and also a 500 mg fish oil supplement and should but have been missing it, a Vit d supplement. I forget sometimes to take them though.

For me iron sometimes is hard on my gut, but if I eat when I take them, its usally okay. I don't have to many problems with them, unless I take them on an empty stomach, then possible a problem.

Post away, but like you said I can't tell how you will personally react to stuff. But sure.

--------------------

#351574 - 11/03/09 02:13 PM

Unregistered

info on the brand its really good. http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/xtend-life-natural-products-reviews/

http://www.xtend-life.com/product/Total_Balance_Unisex_Premium/Introduction.aspx?id=213186

that one looks great there is also one made for women not sure which is better for ibs..

digestive enzyme... http://www.evitalhealth.com/Catalyst_U.html

"Catalyst-U is a protease-free digestive enzyme, making it an ideal supplement for patients/clients with GI issues such as IBS, ulcers or gastritis, or for anyone sensitive to protease. In addition to offering gentle digestive support in the form of enzymes, Catalyst-U also contains a blend of soothing herbs such as Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Calendula Root and Organic Licorice Root, traditionally used by herbalists to assist the body in healing the GI tract.

Compromised digestion can be found at the root of most blocked flow systems in the body. The ability to break down the food we eat is part of the preparation process the body goes through to obtain the fuel needed to keep us going and to repair and rebuild. Enzymes are an important part of that process. In today's world of microwaved, highly preserved and irradiated food, enzymes are lacking. Optimum healing strategies sensibly include daily enzyme support. Catalyst-U is beneficial whenever you need protease-free enzyme support. As protease breaks down protein, if the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract has perforations, ulcerations or exposed tissue, protease should be avoided until the integrity of the mucosal lining has been restored. Soothing and mucilage botanicals like Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Calendula Root, Organic Lavender Flower, Organic Chamomile Flower and Organic Slippery Elm Bark help cool inflamed tissue and restore the mucosal lining."

is that worth a try?

Edited by aperson (11/03/09 02:14 PM)

Re: syl or anyone who will be there..please new
      #351581 - 11/03/09 03:13 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Great! It is an excellent presentation that gives a great overview of where IBS fits in the FGID realm. I spent a bit more time trying to watch the rest of Drossman's video. After two more hours I am up to about minute 14 -- only 20 more minutes to go

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#351584 - 11/03/09 04:49 PM
shawneric

Honestly I would save your money and stick to a regular vitamin. I now some about herbs because I am a chef, but don't know a ton about all those listed in there. You can also never gurantee what they say is in them, that has been a problem, as well as expence. I know lots of IBSers, myself and my wife included that have medicince cabinets full with herbal supplements that didn't work. Not that some don't but better to sample each one at a time to see what works or doesn't.

On the protein issue cheap papaya like these which also have Chlorophyll in them which might help with odors. Just fyi

American Health, Chewable Papaya Enzyme with Chlorophyll, 250 Tablets for 6.82

http://www.iherb.com/American-Health-Chewable-Papaya-Enzyme-with-Chlorophyll-250-Tablets/5060?utm_source=ysp&utm_medium=c&at=0

I saw someone on another board recenly with a very common probiotic in yogurt and they ere charging 56 dollars for it. LOL Called it natural, all probiotics are live organisms so they are all natural. LOL

Some good info on Enzyme Supplements

http://wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsEnzymeSupps.php

also good for supplements

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsSupplements.php

http://wellnessletter.com/html/wb/wbWR_supplements.html

again they maybe specific herbs that help, but go one at a time to see what works and what doesn't and just take a regular CHEAPER vitamin.

--------------------

#351585 - 11/03/09 06:05 PM

Unregistered

so if the multivitami was really as good as it said then it would have the fda's approval?

I read somewhere that uless you take a high quality multivitamin it doesn't get absorbed right or distributed to the body right and you hardly get any benefit. I also read they can make your stomach hurt or cause feeling sick. I forgot where I read that kind of stuff..

what brand do you reccomend I take?

Also what were u saying about the protein issue? did u think the digestive enzyme I showed u would be good for me?

have you heard of juice plus? I used to take that..https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/Welcome.soa

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2566 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 47641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review