All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)
The UNC Chat with the experts free online Nove 3
      #351033 - 10/21/09 06:21 PM
shawneric

Reged: 01/30/03
Loc: Oregon

Hi Heather, hope all is well with you. Its been too long no talk too.

Mark your calender.

I will remind people. but these are great free online chats

UNC Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders'

Evening with the Experts A 2-hour monthly online educational video and chat session open to the general public.

This month's time and topic:

Nov 3 2009 at 8-10 EST

Topic- A discussion on WebMD vidoes and articles on interviews with Dr Douglas A. Drossman, MD

Presenter Dr Douglas A. Drossman, MD

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/

Dr. Drossman is considered a world authority in the field of functional GI disorders and physician-patient communication. He presents at numerous national and international meetings throughout the year.

About Dr Drossman

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/drossman.htm

These are really worth the time if you can and exceptional chats where you can ask the experts questions on IBS and other functional Gi disorders.

--------------------
My website on IBS is www.ibshealth.com

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: The UNC Chat with the experts free online Nove 3 new
      #351086 - 10/22/09 05:00 PM
shawneric

More info
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill Center for Functional GI & Motility Disorders
Chat Room Session 2009

http://www.med.unc.edu/medicine/fgidc/chatsessiondescription.htm

archives to check out from past sessions.

July 7, 2009
Topic: "Introduction to Functional GI Disorders and Irritable Bowel Syndrome (IBS)"
Presenter: Douglas A. Drossman, MD
Professor of Medicine and Psychiatry

August 4, 2009
Topic: "Gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)"
Presenter: Ryan D. Madanick, MD
Assistant Professor of Medicine

September 1, 2009
Topic: "Psychological Approaches to IBS Symptom Management"
Presenter: Stephan Weinland, Ph.D.
Instructor of Medicine

October 6, 2009
Topic: "Bowel leakage: Who gets it and what can you do about it?"
Presenter: William E. Whitehead, PhD
Professor of Medicine
Adjunct Professor of OB-GYN

http://uncfunctionalgi.net/ewe_archive.html

I hope to see people there, this is such a good free resource. Hope your doing well Heather.

--------------------

#351443 - 11/01/09 12:34 PM
shawneric

Just a reminder this is Nov 3 Wednesday, free and really excellent resource and chance to ask one of the leading world authoritites on IBS and functional GI disorders who specializes in hard to treat ones, questions.

--------------------

Thank you new
      #351444 - 11/01/09 12:39 PM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

shawneric

Thank you for posting this information. I just finished reading a insight paper by Drossman and his colleagues on SIBO, IBS and the reliability of the hydrogen breath test for detecting SIBO. I am looking forward to the presentation.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

syl or anyone who will be there..please new
      #351446 - 11/01/09 12:50 PM

Unregistered

Hi,I have a couple specific questions I would really like asked,but I will be at work! I was wondering if anyone would be willing to let me post my questions and you could copy and paste my questions and then post their answers for me?! that would be great!!

Re: syl or anyone who will be there..please new
      #351448 - 11/01/09 01:03 PM
Syl

I believe the question that you can ask must be related to the presentation he will give first. Usually others cannot submit questions for you. Not all questions that are asked are answered.

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

my 3 questions..perhaps Heather knows the answer? new
      #351450 - 11/01/09 01:07 PM

Unregistered

well can I post my 3 questions,you may need to edit them some..but I'd really like to ask but no way can I access a computer that time or leave work to do this! I hope someone will try for me or they will have a similar question? well here they are..

1.I take my birth control pill (ortho tryclean lo) when I wake up in the morning,I get up at 9-9:30am everyday,always before 10 anyway..If I started taking this about an hour before bedtime do you think this would have any effect,possibly positive on my ibs?

2.Fibercon has always worked well with me. I take the daily maximum(2 caplets once a day up to 4 times daily) and often more,also I often take 4 caplets at a time and often 3 times a day,is that bad or would my body be used to this as I've been doing this for probly over a year.

3.I use heather's loose fennel tea and everyday I fill a cofee pot full and a coffee filter filled to the top of the lose fennel and drink it everyday,I wake up 9-10 am and it's gone by usually 3 -3:30pm because I get ready for work at 54 or 4:30pm and don't want to have to pee. Am I drinking too much fennel or is this going to hurt my body?

#351477 - 11/02/09 08:51 AM
shawneric

You have to wait till the presentation is over, but you can basically ask any questions you want. Also they do try to answer all the questions, but it might depend on how many people show up, but for the most part all questions are answered.

I could submit the questions, but they don't keep a transcript of them so I would have to copy the answers. Let me think about this, I am in pretty close contact with the center on a pretty regular basis and might be able to send them and get a reply.

--------------------

#351479 - 11/02/09 08:58 AM
Syl

Shawneric

I have been trying to watch Drossman's previous presentation but I am finding that the video streaming to the JWPlayer keeps getting interrupted. The net result is you have to start the presentation over again from the beginning. I spent 3 hours trying to get the streaming to work right but only managed to see 13 minutes of the 34 min presentation.

Could you ask UNC if there is any way to download presentations so they can be played locally to circumvent this problem?

I hope this problem doesn't exist during the live presentations.

--------------------

thank you shawneric! new
      #351480 - 11/02/09 09:02 AM

Unregistered

let me know what happens and if you get replies I can't wait to hear them!

Re: Thank you new
      #351482 - 11/02/09 09:07 AM
shawneric

Syl, no problem, I have a ton of sibo information in regards to sibo and IBS. But

SIBO didn't pan out really as a "cause" of IBS, but some people can have sibo and IBS.

Bacterial Overgrowth Apparently Not Important in IBS

By David Douglas

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) Jun 04 - An abnormally high number of bacteria in the small intestine does not appear to be a major factor underlying symptoms of irritable bowel syndrome (IBS), Swedish researchers report in the June issue of Gut.

"The data," senior investigator Dr. Magnus Simren told Reuters Health, "do not support an important role for small intestinal bacterial overgrowth, according to commonly used clinical definitions, in IBS."

Dr. Simren and colleagues at Sahlgrenska University Hospital, Gothenburg note that a high prevalence of small intestinal bacterial overgrowth has been reported in patients with IBS, but those results were based on indirect determination using hydrogen breath tests.

They therefore assessed small intestinal bacterial overgrowth by a direct test -- bacterial culture of small-bowel aspirates -- among 162 patients with IBS and 26 healthy controls. Cultures revealed small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in 4% of patients and 4% of controls.

Signs of enteric dysmotility were seen in 86% of patients with overgrowth and in 39% of patients without. Nevertheless, say the investigators, motility alterations could not reliably predict altered small-bowel bacterial flora.

"However," said Dr. Simren, "mildly increased counts of small-bowel bacteria seem to be more common in IBS," but "its clinical relevance remains unclear."

Gut 2007;56:802-808.

also I asked Dr Drossman about the sibo

sorry its in bold type that is how he worte it into the email so I would see it was his answers.

"IT IS AN OVERSTATEMENT TO SAY THEY ARE "IRRITATING" SUBSTANCES AT LEAST
IN THE SENSE OF BEING SOME TYPE OF TOXIN. THEY ARE NATURAL BYPRODUCTS OF
DEGRADATION OF FOOD SUBSTANCES BY BACTERIA WHICH DON'T NORMALLY OCCUR IN
THE SMALL BOWEL. SO WITH INCREASED BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL, THE
BACTERIA ARE ABLE TO DIGEST SUGARS FOR EXAMPLE PRODUCING H2 AND CO2 FROM
THE SUGARS WHICH ARE GASEOUS BUT WHICH ALSO HAVE OSMOTIC PROPERTIES,
I.E. INCREASED PARTICLES THAT CAUSE SECRETION OF FLUID INTO THE BOWEL
THUS CAUSING DIARRHEA. IT'S THE SAME PRINCIPLE AS USING NON ABSORBABLE
SUGARS LIKE LACTULOSE OR SORBITAL TO TREAT CONSIPATION BY INCREASING
FLUID IN THE BOWEL. IT'S JUST THAT WITHOUT BACTERIA IN THE SMALL BOWEL,
IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AND THE FOOD SUBSTANCES GET ABSORBED. WITH INCREASED
BACTERIA IT COMPETES FOR THE FOOD SUBSTANCES AND PRODUCES THE GAS AND
DIARRHEA."

*This means these are just in the wrong place and not specific or multiple pathogens?*

CORRECT. HOWEVER, THERE IS GROWING INTEREST NOT IN THE AMOUNT OF
BACTERIA BUT THE TYPE OF BACTERIA. CERTAIN BACTERIA CAN CAUSE SOME MILD
INFLAMMATION OF THE BOWEL AND OTHERS PROTECT THE BOWEL FROM THAT
POSSIBILITY. SO THERE IS "GOOD" AND "BAD" BACTERIA. POSSIBLY WHEN PEOPLE
ARE TREATING PRESUMED SIBO (WHICH MIGHT NOT ACTUALLY BE HAPPENNING,
BECAUSE THE TEST MAY BE INACCURATE) ANTIBIOTICS MAY HELP TO GET RID OF
THE BAD BACTERIA AND THAT MAY BE WHY THEY ARE GETTING BETTER. THIS IS
WHY SOME PEOPLE GET BETTER AFTER ANTIBIOTIC TREATMENT. BUT IT CAN ALSO
GO THE OTHER WAY, I.E., ANTIBIOTICS HAVE BEEN SHOWN TO MAKE IBS WORSE AS
WELL. THE OTHER IDEA IS TO USE PROBIOTICS WHICH CONTAIN "GOOD" BACTERIA
(E.G., LACTOBACILLUS OR BIFIDOBACTERIA) WHICH REPLACE THE BAD BACTERIA,
POSSIBLY REDUCE THE INFLAMMATION AND IMPROVE SYMPTOMS. SO THE ISSUE OF
BACTERIA IN THE BOWEL IS MUCH MORE COMPLICATED THAN SIMPLE SIBO, BUT SIBO CAN BE A PART OF THE WHOLE PICTURE (THOUGH NOT THE WHOLE PICTURE FOR IBS).

Dr Drossman

This was at least a year ago and more has been learned on the connections between the two condition. Also people can have sibo without IBS and vise versa.

I have a ton more on all this

--------------------

Re: thank you shawneric! new
      #351483 - 11/02/09 09:08 AM
shawneric

I am gonna look at your questions also here.

--------------------

#351484 - 11/02/09 09:13 AM
shawneric

sometimes its the internet itself and speed of the connection. Its working for me at the moement, but will ask them about downloads. It is somewhat annoying it has to load like that really. I will see what I can do on it though, there maybe an issue with protection of the work perhaps, but again will check.

--------------------

Thanks Shawn Eric new
      #351485 - 11/02/09 09:15 AM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Thanks for the info on SIBO and IBS. I am going to visit your website. You seem very well informed. You should visit the boards more often, and offer us what info you have. Geri

Re: my 3 questions..perhaps Heather knows the answer? new
      #351487 - 11/02/09 09:36 AM
shawneric

Aperson, I would ask Heather about the fennel tea.

I will ask the experts on the BC pill for you.

On the fibercon don't take more then it says on the bottle or ask your doctor about it as well. Don't take more to catch up either and drink with lots of water.

http://www.gicare.com/MEDICATIONS/Medications.aspx?CID=6&ID=84

http://www.drug3k.com/drug/fibercon-14990.htm

--------------------

Re: Thanks Shawn Eric new
      #351488 - 11/02/09 09:39 AM
shawneric

Thanks Gerikat

I use to moderate the HT forum here, but got to busy, but things have calmed down more so I will be around some and try to do my best.

--------------------

shawneric a slippery elm question.. new
      #351489 - 11/02/09 09:42 AM

Unregistered

how can I contact heather directlyt to ask her? I have another question perhaps you would ask about slippery elm for me? I'm not finding answers on my specific questions and concerns...

"When taken, slippery elm is easy on the digestive system. Slippery elm is said to be good for both diarrhea and constipation, as it softens and adds smooth bulk to the stool. Slippery elm also calms irritation as it gently coats the lining of the intestinal system."

Why is it said slippery elm is good for both diarreah and constipation if it softens the stool? WOuldn't that be a problem for d's? What about d that isn't actual diarrea but you go alot everyday and lots of incomplete evacuation? It talks about coating the digestive system,I think my system is well coated with tons of mucus already! sometimes when I release gas or go to the bathroom a glob of mucus comes out!! Will things get more slippery?!

--------------------

#351491 - 11/02/09 10:05 AM
Syl

Thank you the post. I maintain a large library of research papers FGID. Over the past 2-3 years there have been some very interesting papers published on the topic. In the paper that Drossman and colleagues published (see reference below) they say "more recent reports using jejunal cultures found SIBO in only 4% of the IBS population and detected no differences from a HC (healthy controls)population." This seems to be a fairly good indication that SIBO is not the cause of IBS. But as you say it possible for SIBO and IBS to co-exist.

Reference
Grover, M., Kanazawa, M., Palsson, O., Chitkara, D., Gangarosa, L., Drossman, D., et al. (2008). Small intestinal bacterial overgrowth in irritable bowel syndrome: association with colon motility, bowel symptoms, and psychological distress. Neurogastroenterology Motility, 20

--------------------

#351493 - 11/02/09 10:11 AM
Syl

Yea - the bandwidth, speed of media server, Internet congestion and a variety of other factors come into play. The problem is JWPlayer does have fast forward/backward features. The net result is if you loose the connection to a pre-recorded video the player has to start from the beginning. I have a feeling the problem is inherent in the technology they are using to stream the video. Anyway - anything you can find out would be appreciated.

--------------------

Re: my 3 questions..perhaps Heather knows the answer? new
      #351494 - 11/02/09 10:47 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi - Unless you're having a problem with some of the filler ingredients in the BC pill I don't think the time of day you take them would make a difference. You might ask your ob/gyn about different types of pill formulations as some may be more likely to suit you and cause fewer side effects. That can take some experimentation.

You can contact the manufacturer of Fibercon and ask them how they set the maximum dose. There is really no such thing as an FDA guideline to a maximum daily fiber dose. They just recommend 25-35 grams per day minimum. For most fiber supplements you could take up to 25-35 grams per day as the dietary fiber you're getting on top of that is likely only 10 grams per day if you're an average American. In general, as long as you start at a low dose and increase gradually it's hard to take too much fiber without deliberately abusing a fiber supplement.

Ask the makers of Fibercon this question. They're the only ones who can give you a firm answer about their product.

How much of the fennel are you brewing in the coffee pot? It's meant to be used at about 1-2 tablespoons of fennel per cup of water, and you can have up to 6 cups a day without getting out of the realm of normal consumption. There are no known risks of fennel tea so it shouldn't do anything at all to hurt your body. Having said that, as with anything in the world, including just plain water, if you ingest far more of it than would normally be expected you can cause probems.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Heather thanks for responding,I drink this much fennel... new
      #351495 - 11/02/09 10:57 AM

Unregistered

I don't measure..I fill up the coffee pot and fill up the filter until its almost overflowing, so is that like 10cups a day? I just thought maybe I should switch my bc time becaue in the morning when I wake up is when I drink tons of fennel,take fibercon and such..and I thought if my pill was bothering my ibs at all,taking it before bed and sleeping all night would somehow make a difference cuz I thought your ibs like shuts off when your sleeping or something.

I'm hoping u will read this and maybe answere this.

"When taken, slippery elm is easy on the digestive system. Slippery elm is said to be good for both diarrhea and constipation, as it softens and adds smooth bulk to the stool. Slippery elm also calms irritation as it gently coats the lining of the intestinal system."

Why is it said slippery elm is good for both diarreah and constipation if it softens the stool? WOuldn't that be a problem for d's? What about d that isn't actual diarrea but you go alot everyday and lots of incomplete evacuation? It talks about coating the digestive system,I think my system is well coated with tons of mucus already! sometimes when I release gas or go to the bathroom a glob of mucus comes out!! Will things get more slippery?!

Not sure about the slippery elm - it is supposed to be very safe. -nt- new
      #351499 - 11/02/09 01:18 PM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: shawneric a slippery elm question.. new
      #351506 - 11/02/09 03:41 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Slippery Elm helps with D because D is caused when your bowel is irritated.
Slippery Elm soothes the bowel thus making your bowels NOT irritated.
Therefore...no D!
Helps soothe the bowel so going when C is easier.

I had constant d from gallbladder surgery and I mean bright yellow all day no matter what I ate.I lost weight and was miserable.
I took the Slippery Elm for three days and it cleared up.

TRY IT.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

heather what did you think of the amount of tea I told you I drank,nt. new
      #351519 - 11/02/09 08:23 PM

Unregistered

Re: amount of fennel tea new
      #351523 - 11/02/09 09:23 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

I know you're not asking me but I have a suggestion. Heather told you 1-2 tablespoons per 8 ounces of water is the recommended use. So you can calculate how much fennel you should use based on that. Say you had a 6 cup coffee pot, then you want to use no more than 12 tablespoons of fennel for the entire pot. 12 tablespoons is equivalent to 3/4 cup. So that's the maximum amount of fennel for a 6 cup coffee maker. You may have to adjust the calculation based on the size of your coffee maker.

dragonfly new
      #351527 - 11/03/09 06:56 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

do you take the slippery elm daily or just as needed?

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Re: dragonfly..just as needed. nt new
      #351536 - 11/03/09 09:15 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#351537 - 11/03/09 09:40 AM
shawneric

Syl, I talked to them abnout this and they said they will work on it, the files are very big and it would take a long time to download, but they are also checking to see if they can load them faster or make them work better. So just so you know they are trying their best.

--------------------

#351538 - 11/03/09 09:40 AM
shawneric

a reminder this is today

--------------------

Re: shawneric a slippery elm question.. new
      #351539 - 11/03/09 09:51 AM
shawneric

FYI

Slippery Elm contains bioflavonoids, calcium, mucliage, starch, tannins and vitamin E.

"Slippery Elm (Digestive, Intestinal helps relieve digestive discomfort and provides mucilage to soothe the digestive tract. It grows widely throughout North America and is also known by the names Red Elm, Moose Elm and Indian Elm.

The plant contains mucilage, a long chain of sugars (polysaccharides) that make a slippery substance when combined with water. This mucilage is believed to soothe the digestive system. Slippery elm is also rich in nutrients and is easy to digest, making it an excellent food during times of digestive discomfort"

http://www.1001herbs.com/slipperyelm/

Calcium in it may help d perhaps. I personally don't know enough about it all to say much, Heather knows way more then I do about such things.

Hope your doing well Heather.

--------------------

#351540 - 11/03/09 10:03 AM
shawneric

It is possible for them to coexist. I personally believe that Dr Pimentel jumped the gun on this one. Important research, but a little to quick to promote the "cause" before the research was done, in part because the testing wasn't that accurate to begin with, which again is really complex, not just for IBS, because of condition like Lactose intolerence and fructose and other issues. They did also know that people had sibo and din't have IBS. That made me go Hmmmmmmm?

The press also had a role in it, by jumping the gun, before more research was done.

There are symptoms sibo causes which are red flags to an IBS diagnoses, IBS does not. But it can mimick some symptoms of IBS, so the awareness about it was important as well.

--------------------

Thank you. -nt- new
      #351550 - 11/03/09 11:51 AM
HeatherAdministrator

--------------------

Hi Shawn!!! new
      #351551 - 11/03/09 11:53 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Hope you are doing well - it's been too long since I talked to you.

We're hoping to come down to Portland within the next year - would love to see you!

Will keep you posted on dates - nothing set yet but probably after the holidays.

XXOO
H

--------------------

shawneric a multivitamin question new
      #351555 - 11/03/09 12:05 PM

Unregistered

if I posted the links to 1 or 2 multivitamins I am considering taking would you give me your opinion on them. I know you CAN'T tell me if it's going to bother me or not but Like would you tell me if there are any problematic ingredients you can spot and such?

Re: Hi Shawn!!! new
      #351570 - 11/03/09 01:40 PM
shawneric

That would be fantastic Heather and let me know. Its has been to long. Are you coming to Portland or just going through the area? It would be great to meet you both in person.

Just give me a heads up. The holidays would be bad as there is too much going on then. But after that it would be great.

--------------------

Re: shawneric a multivitamin question new
      #351571 - 11/03/09 01:46 PM
shawneric

aperson, I personally take "one a day" or "Centrum" "cardio help" ones and also a 500 mg fish oil supplement and should but have been missing it, a Vit d supplement. I forget sometimes to take them though.

For me iron sometimes is hard on my gut, but if I eat when I take them, its usally okay. I don't have to many problems with them, unless I take them on an empty stomach, then possible a problem.

Post away, but like you said I can't tell how you will personally react to stuff. But sure.

--------------------

#351574 - 11/03/09 02:13 PM

Unregistered

info on the brand its really good. http://www.ihealthdirectory.com/xtend-life-natural-products-reviews/

http://www.xtend-life.com/product/Total_Balance_Unisex_Premium/Introduction.aspx?id=213186

that one looks great there is also one made for women not sure which is better for ibs..

digestive enzyme... http://www.evitalhealth.com/Catalyst_U.html

"Catalyst-U is a protease-free digestive enzyme, making it an ideal supplement for patients/clients with GI issues such as IBS, ulcers or gastritis, or for anyone sensitive to protease. In addition to offering gentle digestive support in the form of enzymes, Catalyst-U also contains a blend of soothing herbs such as Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Calendula Root and Organic Licorice Root, traditionally used by herbalists to assist the body in healing the GI tract.

Compromised digestion can be found at the root of most blocked flow systems in the body. The ability to break down the food we eat is part of the preparation process the body goes through to obtain the fuel needed to keep us going and to repair and rebuild. Enzymes are an important part of that process. In today's world of microwaved, highly preserved and irradiated food, enzymes are lacking. Optimum healing strategies sensibly include daily enzyme support. Catalyst-U is beneficial whenever you need protease-free enzyme support. As protease breaks down protein, if the mucosal lining of the gastrointestinal tract has perforations, ulcerations or exposed tissue, protease should be avoided until the integrity of the mucosal lining has been restored. Soothing and mucilage botanicals like Organic Marshmallow Root, Organic Calendula Root, Organic Lavender Flower, Organic Chamomile Flower and Organic Slippery Elm Bark help cool inflamed tissue and restore the mucosal lining."

is that worth a try?

Edited by aperson (11/03/09 02:14 PM)

#351581 - 11/03/09 03:13 PM
Syl

Great! It is an excellent presentation that gives a great overview of where IBS fits in the FGID realm. I spent a bit more time trying to watch the rest of Drossman's video. After two more hours I am up to about minute 14 -- only 20 more minutes to go

--------------------

#351584 - 11/03/09 04:49 PM
shawneric

Honestly I would save your money and stick to a regular vitamin. I now some about herbs because I am a chef, but don't know a ton about all those listed in there. You can also never gurantee what they say is in them, that has been a problem, as well as expence. I know lots of IBSers, myself and my wife included that have medicince cabinets full with herbal supplements that didn't work. Not that some don't but better to sample each one at a time to see what works or doesn't.

On the protein issue cheap papaya like these which also have Chlorophyll in them which might help with odors. Just fyi

American Health, Chewable Papaya Enzyme with Chlorophyll, 250 Tablets for 6.82

http://www.iherb.com/American-Health-Chewable-Papaya-Enzyme-with-Chlorophyll-250-Tablets/5060?utm_source=ysp&utm_medium=c&at=0

I saw someone on another board recenly with a very common probiotic in yogurt and they ere charging 56 dollars for it. LOL Called it natural, all probiotics are live organisms so they are all natural. LOL

Some good info on Enzyme Supplements

http://wellnessletter.com/html/ds/dsEnzymeSupps.php

also good for supplements

http://www.berkeleywellness.com/html/ds/dsSupplements.php

http://wellnessletter.com/html/wb/wbWR_supplements.html

again they maybe specific herbs that help, but go one at a time to see what works and what doesn't and just take a regular CHEAPER vitamin.

--------------------

#351585 - 11/03/09 06:05 PM

Unregistered

so if the multivitami was really as good as it said then it would have the fda's approval?

I read somewhere that uless you take a high quality multivitamin it doesn't get absorbed right or distributed to the body right and you hardly get any benefit. I also read they can make your stomach hurt or cause feeling sick. I forgot where I read that kind of stuff..

what brand do you reccomend I take?

Also what were u saying about the protein issue? did u think the digestive enzyme I showed u would be good for me?

have you heard of juice plus? I used to take that..https://www.juiceplus.com/nsa/content/Welcome.soa

#351586 - 11/03/09 07:10 PM
frygurl

Reged: 08/18/09

This was great! Thanks so much for bringing it to our attention!

11 or 12 cups with 2 cups of fennel,FRYGIRL new
      #351595 - 11/04/09 07:41 AM

Unregistered

thats how much I drink a day.

Edited by aperson (11/04/09 09:07 AM)

trancsript from the UNC Chat last night? new
      #351604 - 11/04/09 08:25 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Hi Shawneric, I wasn't able to stay for the entire chat last night, I'd like to read the rest, is there a transcript posted somewhere online?
Thanks.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

Re: trancsript from the UNC Chat last night? new
      #351652 - 11/04/09 07:06 PM
shawneric

Renee, they don't keep a transcript of the people posting. Only the actual topics in there archive. Send me an email

--------------------

#351653 - 11/04/09 07:08 PM
shawneric

I am glad people attended and it helped. Its a lot of work for them to put them on and they do it for us for free. That is something else in itself. I will post the next one when it comes up. I am suggesting one on pain and pain pathways to them for the future as well.

Good to see helpforibs people there;)

--------------------

#351654 - 11/04/09 07:21 PM
shawneric

so if the multivitami was really as good as it said then it would have the fda's approval?

There are different issues for OTC's.

Your body will absorb what it needs and dicard the rest. Taking them in general is what it is and some companies say that to get you to buys their's and there is some trues and half truths involved in it all.

Take a one a day or centrum. They are much cheaper. You can buy expensive ones if you want. Again though if its not just vitamins, do one thing at a time. One herb say at a time and tell your doctor.

Iron and some vitamins can be hard on the gut, take them with a meal, if one brand bother's you try another.

On the protein try the papaya or eat natural papaya, its good for you and helps break down protein. And its cheap and has the chlorophyll in it which can help with smelly gas perhaps. Its cheaper for sure.

Hgh amounts of fruit juice can be a problem.

"Even more naturally, people who consume a large amount of fruits, juices or other processed foods enriched with fructose, can get diarrhea because it is not as easily absorbed by the bowel and goes to the colon where it pulls in water."

http://www.ibshealth.com/ibsfoods2.htm

For c IBS this might actually helps some. But d or alternating it could be probelamtic.

IBS doesn't cause malabsorbtion and in digestioning foods, it does't interput that process, so eat a well balanced diet and try to figure out trigger foods for you and use the suggestions from Heathers book. Foods are absorbed in the stomach, IBS is mainly a problem of the sigmnoid colon, large intestines. Foods are already digested at that point.

--------------------

#351655 - 11/04/09 07:24 PM
shawneric

aperson, I also asked the question for you.

" I take my birth control pill (ortho tryclean lo) when I wake up in the morning,I get up at 9-9:30am everyday,always before 10 anyway..If I started taking this about an hour before bedtime do you think this would have any effect,possibly positive on my ibs?"

"Dr. Drossman: Shanw Eric, not sure why taking the pill would cause a problem, the hormone in the pill may have an effect"

He can say if it what effect it could have on you personally either way, negatively or positively.

--------------------

#351670 - 11/05/09 08:19 AM

Unregistered

are u familiar with beachbody vitamins? I forgot I have a bottle here. It's the activit bodytonig formula if u would,plz take a look http://www.beachbody.com/text/products/supplements/activit/ActVit_BodyT_30Day_021909.pdf

http://www.beachbody.com/product/supplements/best_sellers/activit_multivitamins.do

I was also thinking about buying certified organic slippery elm capsules or buying the digestive enzyme with soothing ingredients,which has slippery elm in it and is made without proteise..http://www.evitalhealth.com/Catalyst_U.html Dannadivine said it helped her.

#351675 - 11/05/09 10:20 AM
shawneric

aperson, I can't really comment on those vitamins. I did notice they had magnesium stearate in them and magnesium can cause d.

Other then that can't really say anything about them.

I still say take an a-z vitamin.

On the slippery elm, I can't really comment either, someone else with more herbal knowledge might be able to help you. One thing is look at the source of the product and buy them from a reputable source.

did you read the article on posted on digestive enzyme's?

also Herbal PDR

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-mono.aspx?contentFileName=ame0464.xml&contentName=Slippery+Elm&contentId=619

http://www.pdrhealth.com/drugs/altmed/altmed-a-z.aspx

--------------------

#351682 - 11/05/09 10:47 AM

Unregistered

ok,well I'm going to try the slippery elm capsules,in a few weeks wen I have money to buy them..also..did u know anything about the herbs in the beachbody vitamin I showed u? perhaps if I took half a caltrate capsule a day too,that would make it so I wouldn't get d from the beachbody vitamins?

#351704 - 11/06/09 09:39 AM
shawneric

I don't know enough about the herbs, which is why I posted the Physcians Desk reference on them.

I am personally not sure you need to take the beachbody vitamins in the first place.

The caltrate capsule might help d.

Have you ever look into Mike's HT CD's?

--------------------

#351707 - 11/06/09 09:52 AM

Unregistered

It's more of a I want to take them plus I have a whole bottle to take rather then go buy something.

#351709 - 11/06/09 10:16 AM
shawneric

I understand, and a lot of this is trial and error for each person. Again its always important to try one thing at a time for a bit to see what works or doesn't work.

--------------------

#351718 - 11/06/09 11:02 AM

Unregistered

I'm not sure what I should start off with since I'm so unstable right now..I was thinking the slippery elm..then 1 caltrate tablet a day..then later the beachbody mulivitamin..wat do u think?

#351770 - 11/07/09 10:05 AM
shawneric

I would personally start with the caltrate.

Do you take any probiotics?

Do you work on any kind of stress management or relaxation techniques?

--------------------

#351771 - 11/07/09 10:16 AM

Unregistered

yes,I take align. My relaxation is listening to relaxing music or watching tv,reading magazines,nintendo ds,sometimes a book or article online or just quietly sitting in my room or playing the myspace game yoville. I don't know if I should do the caltrate..but the first time I took it I threw up soon after. I rarly get sick..I'm thinking all the blating and bad symptoms I was having that day plus the caltrate did me in..so I think I will start with 1 pill a day..but then again..I was thinking of trying the multivitamin I already have here on one day and see how it goes and if its ok to keep trying it. I don't want to wait until I have money to buy the caltrate cuz that would be like the 17th or 18th for me.

#351781 - 11/07/09 01:34 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

The best multivitamin for an IBS-D sufferer is liquid form. Some available are sublingual (under the tongue) so that they are readily absorbed (immediately).

If you have IBS-D, it is unlikely that you will even get the benefits of a 'pill' that rapidly gets dumped in diarrahea.

There are many good quality vitamins offered at www.puritanspride.com. Review their list of supplements and choose wisely. You won't pay anymore there than Wal-Mart charges, and you will have a far better selection with lots of information provided.

I personally find their sublingual B-12 tablets extremely helpful for energy level.

You might want to sign up for their catalog through their website.

Best to you!

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#351782 - 11/07/09 01:39 PM

Unregistered

thank you very much for that info. SInce I already have a bottle of the beachbody body toning formula..I thought I'd try it anyway rather than throw it away,give it away and find something else to buy..since I don't have actual diarreah..I thought I may absorb the multivitamin I have thep psedu diarreah type..and I just took it at 3:15 and I work at 5 and when the vitamin comes out it wouldn't be until tommorow or the next day anyway...

#351811 - 11/08/09 12:32 PM
shawneric

Aperson, relaxation is helpful, but research is showing not as helpful as the gut directed Hypnotherapy or CBT, this was discussed breifly in the last chat with the experts.

Distraction can also be helpful, which is usally what is happening when your reading or playing a game ect.. Really relaxing and and getting to homeostasis (balance), there is much more to it all. Its good your doing it, but you might find better results, big results a lot of times, from different methods. One of the most misunderstood issues in IBS treatments and causes.

Try one thing at a time. The multivitamin, I would think has calcium in it. So try that first and see what happens. If something goes wrong one time, you have to try it again, just because there can be a lot of reasons, perhaps other then the one thing your trying at the time.

--------------------

#351812 - 11/08/09 12:36 PM
shawneric

There is no dumping in IBS from D. The stomach absorbs the nutrients and in IBS the sigmoid colon is basically the problem. IBSers do not digest food differently then normal people. There is no malabsorbtion of nutrients due to the d.

"There is no evidence that digestion of food is different in those with IBS compared to those without IBS. Diet, food and eating do not cause IBS. However, muscles and nerves are over-reactive in IBS. This can cause the bowel to over-respond to stimuli. Even a normal event such as the act of eating itself, and not a particular food, may aggravate symptoms at times. Eating releases hormones that stimulate the gut."

http://aboutibs.org/site/about-ibs/management/ibs-diet/

--------------------

#351813 - 11/08/09 12:38 PM
shawneric

Usally I would say try it on your days off, to see how it might effect you.

--------------------

#351993 - 11/11/09 08:53 AM

Unregistered

what I decided to do was take it 2 or 3 days then stop 2 days before the day of my doctor appointment for my yearly woman exam becaue I need to make it there. Also its hard to say wats causing all my problems and discomfort right now I'm not sure if the vitamin contributed or if it was something else..I haven't successfully stoped all my old habits,but I will go like 2 days without any triggers so far..but I have to say I'm making progress in giving up my bad habits its getting easier for me. I think I'm gonna try the multivitamin when I'm more stable and try the 1 tablet of caltrate a day in a few weeks.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1479 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 47641

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review