All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Re: ***Vegetarian board?*** new
      #356266 - 03/01/10 06:06 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Yes, Windchimes and it would also give us the space to discuss vegetarianism, without being attacked, by those who would not agree, and you know as well as I that this happens quite often on these boards.

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: ***Vegetarian board?*** new
      #356270 - 03/01/10 08:39 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Thank you, Windchimes. I suppose I don't really see why those types of discussion cannot happen on the Boards that already exist but as I said, I'm not a vegetarian.

I hope you all enjoy your new home.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Okay ... Sand has a real point here... *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #356271 - 03/01/10 11:20 PM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Anyone who hasn't taken this poll yet? new
      #356280 - 03/02/10 11:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

It's looking pretty good for breaking out a vegetarian board. Any other voters out there for this?

-H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Okay ... Sand has a real point here... new
      #356284 - 03/02/10 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Personally I don't think we can just use the regular board to talk about VEG stuff. 1. people have gotten offended about others being veggie 2. people think that means the EFI diet is non-meat when it isn't and 3. I would like to talk about not eating meat that is not actually IBS related. There is a lot to discuss with other people trying not to eat meat that isn't appropriate for an IBS health forum.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#356291 - 03/02/10 03:18 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Minnie, I totally agree with you. If it was just going to be a case of trading recipes, it might work, but it's bigger than that. And if you start to get into ethics and morality issues, well that spells trouble between the meat-eaters and the veggies/vegans.

These threads tend to veer off topic at times, and get argumentative and debates start, and then Heather has to jump in. So I think it would be less work for her in the long-run, to have a separate board, rather than trying to use one of these boards. Meat-eaters would just steer clear of that board.

I would also like to go beyond IBS. I would like to talk about health, how to make the change, how becoming a vegetarian affects your entire life, gardening, how veggies help the earth/environment, books you have read, etc., so it would be more than just recipes.

That's just my take on it. If everyone will vote then maybe Heather can make a decision.

#356294 - 03/02/10 09:03 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

I couldn't agree with you more! It's more than IBS support, and such a board would emcompass many things about good health in general and doing our part for the environment in general.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

I agree and ... new
      #356296 - 03/03/10 04:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could someone please explain the purpose of the vegetarian board other than to share vegetarian recipes which is already done on the recipe board?

I presume a vegetarian board would still focus on vegetarianism & IBS and not become be a board with polarizing discussions about the pros and cons of vegetarianism.

For sure before such a board is started a set of posting ground rules would be required. Perhaps those who are in favour of a vegetarian board could spend some time sorting out a a definition of the role and purpose of a vegetarian board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356297 - 03/03/10 05:27 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I think it would be nice to see a vegetarian board.

I am a meat eater but would like to find new dishes to make.we don't eat meat everyday but it would be nice to have an IBS safe place to get some new ideas for dinner that don't include meat.

The recipe board that exists is good too but i think a whole board devoted to veggies would be nice.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Syl and Sand agree
      #356298 - 03/03/10 08:26 AM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

That crackling sound is Hell freezing over.

I agree totally that the exact nature and function of a vegetarian board as part of the IBS boards has either not been thought through or not been discussed straightforwardly.

There are many, many vegetarian and vegan discussion boards on the Internet where aspects of vegetarianism not related to IBS can be discussed. An IBS board to do so is not necessary.

There have always been people on the Boards - often many of them - who are combining Heather's EFI approach with other dietary restrictions: EFI plus gluten free; EFI plus fructose intolerance; EFI plus sugar avoidance. I do not believe discussions about combining EFI with vegetarianism would be any more confusing then these have been.

There have always been IBS-safe vegetarian recipes on the Recipe Boards. It would be nice to break them out into their own category. Perhaps some of the vegetarians could take the time to do this if Heather can set up a new category in the Recipe Index.

As far as I can tell, the only real reason for a separate vegetarian board is to avoid the arguments between vegetarians and non-vegetarians (omnivores). That is, vegetarians want to be able to say they're vegetarians without ending up in a fight. There are two possible reasons for those fights:

1) Omnivores are offended by people who choose not to eat meat. Omnivores attack vegetarians simply because they mention they are vegetarians.

2) Vegetarians do not simply mention they are vegetarians; rather they claim their vegetarianism is the only right choice. Omnivores are offended by being told they are not only unhealthy but also immoral, unethical, environmentally irresponsible, negligent, callous, and cruel, and they understandably react angrily.

Whichever reason you believe is correct, simply setting up a separate vegetarian board will not solve the problem. If the problem is that omnivores get their jollies from attacking vegetarians without provocation, then a vegetarian board will merely provide a target-rich environment for them. If the problem is that vegetarians are insulting to omnivores, then any any omnivore who visits the vegetarian board will be offended by the discussions there and react angrily. The arguments will simply move from the Diet and Living Room boards to the vegetarian board.

The only solution is to provide not merely a separate vegetarian board but a vegetarian board with separate access. I believe the IBS Support Groups boards are separately passworded; the same should be done to the new vegetarian board. Either:

1) Enrollment in the new vegetarian board would require direct application to the Board administrator. This would allow the new enrollee to be informed of the nature of the board and the expected behavior. Or

2) Anyone could sign up for the new vegetarian board just as anyone can now sign up for the other boards. However, the separate access would mean that if someone attacks the vegetarians - with or without provocation - he or she could be banned from the vegetarian board without being banned from the other boards.

Whichever enrollment procedure is used, clearly Syl's ground rules would be needed either as something to which a prospective vegetarian board member must agree or as a blurb attached to the vegetarian board so those who join will understand what they can and cannot say. I strongly endorse Syl's recommendation that the exact nature of the vegetarian board be defined before it is created. In particular, it should be decided whether arguing about the value of vegetarianism would be allowed and - most importantly - whether the new vegetarian board will adhere to the EFI guidelines.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 835 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23397

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review