All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)
***Vegetarian board?***
      #350756 - 10/12/09 06:05 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

A vegetarian board page for chatting and diet help has been suggested and Heather would think about making one if there was interest. Please reply if you would find such a board helpful or of interest.
Thank you.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

I think it would be very helpful. - nt - *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #350779 - 10/14/09 01:46 AM
Double J

Reged: 03/09/06
Loc: High Rocky Mountains ibs-d

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Re: I think it would be very helpful. Me to :) new
      #350794 - 10/14/09 11:50 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Re: ***Vegetarian board?*** new
      #350814 - 10/15/09 10:18 AM
hopeful40

Reged: 10/14/09

I would be interested (though seems like a lot of Eating for IBS is vegetarian).

My problem is that I was a huge raw vegetable eater (salads at every meal, carrots, celery, peppers etc). I can't imagine not eating them.

Rachel (new-bie)

Let's take a poll so I can get as much feedback as possible. new
      #350820 - 10/15/09 04:03 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Vegetarian board - yes or no?

Yes - would use it!
Nope - not interested!

View the results for this poll

Thanks!
- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

bump- nt new
      #350882 - 10/17/09 04:19 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#350933 - 10/19/09 11:00 AM
moonwillow

Reged: 06/10/09

yes- i would definitely be interested in this!

bump again- nt new
      #351303 - 10/28/09 03:47 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

#351310 - 10/28/09 05:11 PM
bamalakegirl30

Reged: 10/23/09
Loc: Alabama

Although I am not a vegetarian, I only eat chicken and turkey (but mainly chicken) and so I have to spice things up by changing around my sides. I would love to have some vegetarian otions for both main dishes and side dishes. I would love a vegetarian board and I voted yes

--------------------
When all else fails.....have tea.

What's the status on this?? *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #352067 - 11/12/09 10:36 AM
Double J

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------
Courage doesn’t always roar. Sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying, “I will try again tomorrow”. Mary Anne Radmacher

Just trying to get enough feedback.. new
      #352072 - 11/12/09 01:40 PM
HeatherAdministrator

to know if it will be a wanted and active board. It's leaning in that direction, but it will also probably be a month or so before I get things up and running for it.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#356190 - 02/26/10 08:09 PM
Lisa Marie

Reged: 07/17/06
Loc: Lakewood, CO

Can't believe I missed this one before... I would love a board for vegetarians!!

--------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Lisa, IBS-C (Vegan)
Stable since July 2007!
Mommy to Rhiannon Marie (Dec. 13, 2008)

#356197 - 02/27/10 12:17 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Hi all, I am definitely leaning in this direction. It has been hurting my heart for a long time now, about how we treat our animals. I am not the type to make overnight changes, but I am getting there slowly. I think this would be a great board! I am looking forward to it.

Heather ???? - nt - new
      #356235 - 03/01/10 05:54 AM
Double J

--------------------

Re: Heather ???? new
      #356237 - 03/01/10 08:25 AM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

DoubleJ... The answer to that is further down in this thread. Look for Heather's and open that. You can officially vote there, and also see the progress of the poll up to the moment.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

Windchimes ... *DELETED* new
      #356238 - 03/01/10 08:45 AM
Double J

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------

Re: Windchimes ... new
      #356239 - 03/01/10 08:54 AM
Windchimes

I know that I myself would enjoy reading there. I'm doing more and more of that type of eating these days and liking it. I think if such a board were available at this site, more members might seriously consider reading about and eating more of these healthier foods, and reaping the benefits of doing so.

--------------------

#356253 - 03/01/10 01:12 PM
Windchimes

To submit your 'official' vote, go to Heather's post on 10/15/09 in this thread that she marked with icon. In that post you can also link to the results to current date.

--------------------

#356260 - 03/01/10 04:54 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

I guess I don't understand what a separate Board would help with. Of course, maybe that's because I'm not a vegetarian.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

#356262 - 03/01/10 05:11 PM
Windchimes

A separate board would introduce us to less or no meat and great ways of eating, giving us links to books and other things. Vegetarian eating is delicious and no one need feel deprived of flavor by the lack of meat.

No one would necessarily have to participate on this board, though looking at such might give you some food for thought towards better health overall. I'm not vegetarian (yet), though I do so much enjoy many of the vegetarian recipes from the internet and some cookbooks that I own. I was amazed!

Perhaps this helps, don't know. But... at least we would have a chance to expand our horizons for better health through overall better eating. It would be a 'take what you like and leave the rest' board.

Most people think "uck", tasteless, and boring, yet this is not true at all. Sometimes it even proves MORE satisfying and certainly leaves one feeling a whole lot better physically.

The only way one will know is through education and giving such a try. Red meat can be a killer, yet we all have learned to like the taste and enjoy it. Best in moderation, if at all, though there are many vegetarian meals one can eat inbetween and enjoy even if one chooses not to totally eliminate meat from their diet.

--------------------

#356266 - 03/01/10 06:06 PM
Gerikat

Yes, Windchimes and it would also give us the space to discuss vegetarianism, without being attacked, by those who would not agree, and you know as well as I that this happens quite often on these boards.

#356270 - 03/01/10 08:39 PM
Sand

Thank you, Windchimes. I suppose I don't really see why those types of discussion cannot happen on the Boards that already exist but as I said, I'm not a vegetarian.

I hope you all enjoy your new home.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Okay ... Sand has a real point here... *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* *DELETED* new
      #356271 - 03/01/10 11:20 PM
Double J

Post deleted by Double J

--------------------

Anyone who hasn't taken this poll yet? new
      #356280 - 03/02/10 11:03 AM
HeatherAdministrator

It's looking pretty good for breaking out a vegetarian board. Any other voters out there for this?

-H

--------------------

Re: Okay ... Sand has a real point here... new
      #356284 - 03/02/10 11:57 AM
Little Minnie

Personally I don't think we can just use the regular board to talk about VEG stuff. 1. people have gotten offended about others being veggie 2. people think that means the EFI diet is non-meat when it isn't and 3. I would like to talk about not eating meat that is not actually IBS related. There is a lot to discuss with other people trying not to eat meat that isn't appropriate for an IBS health forum.

--------------------

#356291 - 03/02/10 03:18 PM
Gerikat

Minnie, I totally agree with you. If it was just going to be a case of trading recipes, it might work, but it's bigger than that. And if you start to get into ethics and morality issues, well that spells trouble between the meat-eaters and the veggies/vegans.

These threads tend to veer off topic at times, and get argumentative and debates start, and then Heather has to jump in. So I think it would be less work for her in the long-run, to have a separate board, rather than trying to use one of these boards. Meat-eaters would just steer clear of that board.

I would also like to go beyond IBS. I would like to talk about health, how to make the change, how becoming a vegetarian affects your entire life, gardening, how veggies help the earth/environment, books you have read, etc., so it would be more than just recipes.

That's just my take on it. If everyone will vote then maybe Heather can make a decision.

#356294 - 03/02/10 09:03 PM
Windchimes

I couldn't agree with you more! It's more than IBS support, and such a board would emcompass many things about good health in general and doing our part for the environment in general.

--------------------

I agree and ... new
      #356296 - 03/03/10 04:21 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Could someone please explain the purpose of the vegetarian board other than to share vegetarian recipes which is already done on the recipe board?

I presume a vegetarian board would still focus on vegetarianism & IBS and not become be a board with polarizing discussions about the pros and cons of vegetarianism.

For sure before such a board is started a set of posting ground rules would be required. Perhaps those who are in favour of a vegetarian board could spend some time sorting out a a definition of the role and purpose of a vegetarian board.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

#356297 - 03/03/10 05:27 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I think it would be nice to see a vegetarian board.

I am a meat eater but would like to find new dishes to make.we don't eat meat everyday but it would be nice to have an IBS safe place to get some new ideas for dinner that don't include meat.

The recipe board that exists is good too but i think a whole board devoted to veggies would be nice.

Just my 2 cents...
Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Syl and Sand agree new
      #356298 - 03/03/10 08:26 AM
Sand

That crackling sound is Hell freezing over.

I agree totally that the exact nature and function of a vegetarian board as part of the IBS boards has either not been thought through or not been discussed straightforwardly.

There are many, many vegetarian and vegan discussion boards on the Internet where aspects of vegetarianism not related to IBS can be discussed. An IBS board to do so is not necessary.

There have always been people on the Boards - often many of them - who are combining Heather's EFI approach with other dietary restrictions: EFI plus gluten free; EFI plus fructose intolerance; EFI plus sugar avoidance. I do not believe discussions about combining EFI with vegetarianism would be any more confusing then these have been.

There have always been IBS-safe vegetarian recipes on the Recipe Boards. It would be nice to break them out into their own category. Perhaps some of the vegetarians could take the time to do this if Heather can set up a new category in the Recipe Index.

As far as I can tell, the only real reason for a separate vegetarian board is to avoid the arguments between vegetarians and non-vegetarians (omnivores). That is, vegetarians want to be able to say they're vegetarians without ending up in a fight. There are two possible reasons for those fights:

1) Omnivores are offended by people who choose not to eat meat. Omnivores attack vegetarians simply because they mention they are vegetarians.

2) Vegetarians do not simply mention they are vegetarians; rather they claim their vegetarianism is the only right choice. Omnivores are offended by being told they are not only unhealthy but also immoral, unethical, environmentally irresponsible, negligent, callous, and cruel, and they understandably react angrily.

Whichever reason you believe is correct, simply setting up a separate vegetarian board will not solve the problem. If the problem is that omnivores get their jollies from attacking vegetarians without provocation, then a vegetarian board will merely provide a target-rich environment for them. If the problem is that vegetarians are insulting to omnivores, then any any omnivore who visits the vegetarian board will be offended by the discussions there and react angrily. The arguments will simply move from the Diet and Living Room boards to the vegetarian board.

The only solution is to provide not merely a separate vegetarian board but a vegetarian board with separate access. I believe the IBS Support Groups boards are separately passworded; the same should be done to the new vegetarian board. Either:

1) Enrollment in the new vegetarian board would require direct application to the Board administrator. This would allow the new enrollee to be informed of the nature of the board and the expected behavior. Or

2) Anyone could sign up for the new vegetarian board just as anyone can now sign up for the other boards. However, the separate access would mean that if someone attacks the vegetarians - with or without provocation - he or she could be banned from the vegetarian board without being banned from the other boards.

Whichever enrollment procedure is used, clearly Syl's ground rules would be needed either as something to which a prospective vegetarian board member must agree or as a blurb attached to the vegetarian board so those who join will understand what they can and cannot say. I strongly endorse Syl's recommendation that the exact nature of the vegetarian board be defined before it is created. In particular, it should be decided whether arguing about the value of vegetarianism would be allowed and - most importantly - whether the new vegetarian board will adhere to the EFI guidelines.

--------------------

Vegetarian board new
      #356305 - 03/03/10 01:11 PM
Gerikat

Wow, so much drama before Heather has even created the board? I wonder, is it even worth it? If there is this much now, how much later?

It is a controversial subject, and everyone usually thinks there are right. So, at this point I am wondering if it will be more trouble for Heather and company, than they are already dealing with, with the existing boards. I think it would take some strong moderation.

It elicits the same volatile emotions as religion, politics, and abortion.

I would love to have it, but I just don't know if it would work. I guess Heather will make the final call.

#356307 - 03/03/10 02:19 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I very seldom come here anymore, but I would visit more often for a vegetarian board. I think it is a FANTASTIC idea. Can't wait!

#356309 - 03/03/10 02:27 PM
Windchimes

Vote 'officially' below on Heather's post to make sure your are counted 'officially'.

--------------------

#356310 - 03/03/10 02:28 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Thank you, I will do that now.

For Syl and others resisting ... new
      #356313 - 03/03/10 03:50 PM
Windchimes

I agree with you that anything vegetarian posted here should consider IBS as an extended need for safe foods, encompassing BOTH.

Few recipes on the IBS board are vegetarian. Overall, a new added Vegetarian Board is not about recipes explicity. Such a board would be about eating healthier in general (within the IBS guidelines) and expanding our horizons as to how we can select, grow and eat healthy foods overall, incorporing other issues as well, auch as also protecting our environment (OUR EARTH) and animals for generations to come.

Take what YOU like and leave the rest. Why dicourage others with a negative vote just because presently they do not feel such worthwhile??? Allow others with IBS to grow in ways that 'speak' to them. As YOU grow, you just might want to consider and explore some of the alternatives for some or many of your own meals for your own best health overall!

Not EVERYTHING in life is about IBS CONTROL, as there is much more to keeping your body healthy overall, even beyond IBS and controlling the symptoms.

I defer the final conclusion for a new board to Heather, however I do KNOW the BENEFITS of eating vegetarian based on my own experience. It is a wonderful way to eat, if not always at least more often.

You would be very amazed at how good vegetarian tastes and how good your body feels... even less IBS symptoms.

As I said, take what you like and leave the rest. If you don't like the thought of such, then ignore such a board... allow the moderators to moderate such. Just ignore it, and participate in your area of interest or expertise.

--------------------

I disagree new
      #356315 - 03/03/10 04:31 PM
Little Minnie

I don't know what order to put my arguments in and I have had a rough day but here goes.
I envision a board where we can discuss going meatless without any interference from the people who want to be offended. I think it should be a place to talk about being meatless and why without worrying about having to argue with the others who aren't. I do envision some political and emotional outpouring. Why can't those who feel this way just go to a veggie forum elsewhere? because it is very difficult to eat IBS safe and vegetarian and we need to keep the tips on how this can be accomplished here.
I envision the veggie board being like the living room only just discussion about veggie issues.
I don't see a need for a GF or fructose free board. Those things are only diet issues and we can talk all we want about them on the EFI board. Vegetarianism would cross the living room subjects and the EFI subjects into one. When we have discussed vegetarianism on the living room board it ended in big fights. If we had a veggie board it would be obvious from the name that such provocative posts wouldn't be allowed. We would have to have a written warning that they wouldn't be allowed to disrupt the board.
I am obviously lacking brain power tonight but anyway that is my argument.

--------------------

Re: I disagree new
      #356316 - 03/03/10 04:34 PM
Little Minnie

Also we need to keep meatless discussion of the EFI board. We have people occasionally freak out at us here and say things about how we are all vegans and crazy and they can't possibly eat this way etc. We don't want anyone thinking Heather's diet is meatless.

--------------------

We will be starting a new board for this! new
      #356317 - 03/03/10 04:38 PM
HeatherAdministrator

The votes are in and there's a good chunk of people who are interested.

I saw some comments about separate registrations and approvals for a veggie board and such, and just wanted to note that there is no technical way to do that for just one board within all these other boards.

The board will be for veggies, or people thinking about becoming veggie. I don't foresee arguments on the board because dissent about vegetarianism won't be welcome or permitted. It's a board just for people who have already become veggie or are actively interested, not for those who want to put forth a non-veggie view.

Hope it goes well.

- H

--------------------

Re: I disagree new
      #356318 - 03/03/10 04:46 PM
Windchimes

I say Amen! to your post... whioh means 'So be it!". I absolutely do NOT know why some people want to interfere with other people's personal growth even when it comes to the bszt of their health overall and a better world for generations to come.

--------------------

For Heather and Staff... new
      #356321 - 03/03/10 05:03 PM
Windchimes

I sm so very happy that this is going to happen. Thank you for your attention to learning more and a place to emcompass IBS and healthy eating beyond! Vegetarian eating is good for overcoming many things, including high blood pressure, high cholestorol, diabetes, etc. Amazingly for me, when thsee peripherals are under control due to healthier eating, so is my IBS.

I thank you for your attention to this!

I'm not a purist when it comes to vegetarian eating, though I am thirsting for more information and staying within the guideline of IBS eating as well. I have found many vegetarian recipes recently through cookbooks I have purchased recently that totally satisfy my appetite, absent any meat. I'm learning to use TVP, and it is amazing how in chili and spaghetti sauce one would never know that it wasn't meat at all... and very nourishing to the body.

This new board would be IT for sure! It seemingly would fill in a much needed gap!... that being for us who want to eat in healthy ways beyond IBS and in turn help our environment in the process.

--------------------

Yeah for you Heather!!-nt new
      #356322 - 03/03/10 05:16 PM
Gerikat

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1385 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 23090

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review