All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
what else is there to eat?
      #350698 - 10/09/09 01:47 PM
wendydou

Reged: 05/15/08

no fried foods, no red meat, no dairy, no sugar, ... can someone please tell me what else there is to eat??? I live on bread and chicken at the moment, just researched the test I am having this week (Lactulose) .. I"m at a complete loss and want to give up eating all together (wish that was an option). What is left to eat? I don't eat anything cold, raw and try to stay away from processed foods. I try organic when I can (too expensive), I take meds, use Benefibre, drink lots of herbal teas.. I don't know where to start or what else I can do. Can anyone help me?? Wendy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Have you read Eating for IBS? Or looked at the recipe message board? new
      #350700 - 10/09/09 02:05 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There's a whole recipe page with all of the links here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/recipes.asp

You can get a new recipe with every IBS newsletter here http://www.helpforibs.com/news/

There is an absolute wealth of wonderful things to eat that will still keep you stable.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Have you read Eating for IBS? Or looked at the recipe message board? new
      #350706 - 10/09/09 06:13 PM
wendydou

I have the book, but it's still so confusing.

Re: Have you read Eating for IBS? Or looked at the recipe message board? new
      #350710 - 10/09/09 07:17 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It will take time. Live one day at a time and don't think about 'I can never have this again' or it is discouraging.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

What is it your not understanding? new
      #350734 - 10/11/09 03:45 PM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Re: What is it your not understanding? new
      #350755 - 10/12/09 04:53 PM
wendydou

I guess mostly that the book has so much info, that it's mind boggling. and that I have so many issues to deal with. seems like everything I eat affects me in some way.

I'm just very frustrated that I"ve had issues for 40 years and I still can't figure out what works. I"ve tried a few recipes in the book, and yes they did affect me.. some didn't though.. but it's very expensive and I have very unadventurous eaters at home.

not to mention the meds.. sometimes they work, sometimes they don't.. I get episodes for days and days now.. I've tried Citrucel, Metamucil, Benefiber, Immodium, Lomotil, dicyclamine, low dose anti depressants.. I have more tests this week, endoscopy, colonoscopy, lactulose tests.. I'm really worried about the lactulose since I know I am lactose intollerant but they assured me nothing will happen.. If anyone is in the Boston area, I'd love to chat via phone sometime about how everything fits together. Insoluble vs soluable, why is it that when I was pregnant, I had the best time of my entire life eating.. I'm just really feeling it's unfair that I got all this "stuff" and the rest of my family didn't (except for my 1/2 bro, he has Crohns, but we aren't close). His meds work for him anyway. I'm sorry for venting, I'm just fed up. Even Ensure and Pediasure doesn't settle (yes, I've tried the lactose free ones). How do you eat without sugar?? Seems like sugar is a cause for me too.. it's in everything.

Ok, I'll stop now...
wendy

Re: what else is there to eat? new
      #350810 - 10/15/09 07:35 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Wendy

Sometimes things can be very frustrating.No matter what you eat,you feel like crap right.

First things first though,are you a Der or a Cer?

It sounds like you might be a Der.

So instead of worring about what you can't eat lets figure out what you CAN eat.
Make meals like you would normally for your family.It might be a bit more work but worrying about what they like and what you can eat is too difficult right now.Later you can mingle your meals.

So to slow things down and help calm your guts eat simply.
Plain potatoes,chicken,baked not fried,no skin.Carrots,mushrooms and celery well cooked.

Plain fresh white bread from your local bakery.

If its fresh you don't need butter.

Stay away from rice and soy products right now.They can cause bloating and for me I avoid them.

Pretzels are a good snack to munch on and you should drink alot of water.
As far as supplements or fibre stuff.
The only thing I have taken to regulate my IBS D is Immodium in the mornings to help stop the D and I also take Slippery Elm tablets to help with irritation in the stomach and intestinal lining.

Pepperment is a trigger sometimes.

I do not use benefiber or any of the recommended fibre stuff.

If you want to email me its cgmcadams@hotmail.com
Its really hard to get started but after a while you will figure it out.

Yes organic is better but not everyone can afford it.Buy local if you can and stick to the basics.

Some of the recipes in th ebook are great but everyone is different and not everyone can tolerate them.Plus I couldn't find some of th eingredients anyway.I live in a very small town and travel is risky for me too.

Anyway,you can find some great support on these boards but there are alwasy those who will speak to you like you are stupid
and I hope thats just because they have forgotten what its like in the beginning.
Hang in there.

HTH
Christina

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350838 - 10/16/09 06:32 AM
Zara

Reged: 06/07/06

Quote:

Stay away from rice and soy products right now.They can cause bloating and for me I avoid them.

Rice has been on my to-test-list lately. My GI doc recommended a gluten-free diet so I started consuming a lot of rice. I actually felt worse then when eating gluten, and I thought I was eating safer for IBS, no processed foods, lots of rice cakes....my bloating got worse and after about 2 wks so did the constipation.
How did you figure out rice was a problem for you? This would have never occured to me on its own, I always considered rice safe and blamed something else....only after I did some research I came across this idea.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

Rice cakes new
      #350839 - 10/16/09 06:36 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Rice cakes can contain a fair amount of insoluble fiber - rice bran. Rice is a cereal and cereal bran is known to exacerbate IBS. White rice may not be a problem while rice in rice cakes with rice bran may be a problem. If you search the board you will others reporting problems with rice cakes.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Re: Rice cakes new
      #350840 - 10/16/09 07:00 AM
Mhillqt

Reged: 10/06/07

Oddly enough I was trying to eliminate gluten from my diet and started eating rice cakse 2 weeks ago instead of pretzels...initially i felt BETTER and then WORSE.......but also had some stressors last week....so who knows......

#350841 - 10/16/09 07:04 AM
Zara

The cooked rice I've been eating is actually white rice so there should be no problems from bran there.

Good point about the rice cakes and whole grain rice. There's one thing that just doesn't make sense, though - I was on a gluten challenge for 7 weeks and ate mainly whole grain bread, not white bread and I didn't eat any added bran. So, when I companer whole-grain bread with whole-grain rice cakes, I would think the rice cakes'd be easier to digest, no? But I've been feeling worse witht them than I did with the bread. The only benefit was that my acne got better after I started the GF diet. I just wish my body made sense to me .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#350842 - 10/16/09 07:13 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Simple answer....everything else was safe and when I cut out rice..I felt better.

Now I can eat it sometimes without a problem BUT I would consider myself in"remission" my IBS isn't a factor right now.When I was stablizing,I had to avoid rice.Everyone is different.
Plus,maybe its the rice cakes that are th eproblem.Try eat Basmatic rice.It's pretty good.

Chris

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#350843 - 10/16/09 07:20 AM
Syl

The bran in whole-grain bread and the bran in whole-grain rice cakes are similar. They are both rich in cellulose - an insoluble fiber

--------------------

Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach

#350844 - 10/16/09 07:29 AM
Zara

Glad you hear you're in remission, that's great! There's hope for everyone .

I like Basmati rice and Jasmine rice even more . The reason I switched to rice cakes is because they keep well so I could store them at my desk at work, and have them for snacks and sometimes as a part of lunch.

I just got a package of quinoa as I was out, and lately I've been experimenting with buckwheat as well. I had a "bucksotto" (buckwheet risotto ) today for lunch and it was pretty good.

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#350845 - 10/16/09 07:57 AM
Zara

Quote:

The bran in whole-grain bread and the bran in whole-grain rice cakes are similar. They are both rich in cellulose - an insoluble fiber

Right. So why did I feel worse with one over the other? I'm not questioning your answers, I'm just trying to understand my body's reaction .

--------------------
IBS-C, bloating, cramps
pregnant

#350846 - 10/16/09 08:29 AM
DanaDivine

Reged: 09/30/09

Unadventurous eaters at home? Isn't your health a little more important than their eating preferences?

#350847 - 10/16/09 08:49 AM
Syl

One possible reason is wheat contains fructans where are made up of long chains of fructose molecules. They are not digested or absorbed in the small intestine, are rapidly fermented by colonic bacteria and they can induce IBS-like symptoms by themselves. There is growing clinical evidence to support the notion that in some IBS individuals the problem with wheat is fructans not gluten.

--------------------

#350869 - 10/17/09 10:20 AM
wendydou

I still have to feed my kids.. I would like to come up with something that we all can eat instead of making 3 different meals every night.

Zero fiber Rice cakes - how can there be sol.fiber? new
      #362301 - 11/30/10 07:12 PM
meesshh

Reged: 09/04/10

Hi All,

I am trying to boost my soluble fiber, and I only like cereal and breads and crackers for carbs. However, all the rice cakes and rice crackers I found (all varieties) have zero fiber. Does this mean they have no soluble fiber and thus, they won't help stabilize my intestines?

I'd rather not bother to eat them if they aren't helping me. Thanks!

Michele

Re: Zero fiber Rice cakes - how can there be sol.fiber? new
      #362346 - 12/02/10 08:16 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Syl calls that 'resistant starch'. There are properties of food like white rice and white bread that act like SF without any fiber showing up on a nutrition label. If it gets gooey when wet like a saltine in soup, most likely it can be considered a SF base.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2600 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 8528

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review