Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Acacia and Liver?
      #350392 - 09/28/09 05:34 PM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Hey everyone,
I've been taking Acacia for about 2 years now. I just recently had blood work done and I had elevated liver tests. I did not have that 2 1/2 years ago. I can't find much online about it...has anyone had a problem with Acacia and liver tests? It's probably not a connection but my doctor wants me to try to not take it for a little bit and see what happens. I'm a little scared of how my stomach will do, but obviously I don't want to be hurting my liver.

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Acacia and Liver? new
      #350393 - 09/28/09 05:50 PM
Gerikat

Reged: 06/21/09

Oh, that's scary. I guess the only way you will know if it is affecting your liver, is to stop taking it. I would definitely listen to my doctor, no question about it! Hmmm...liver or Acacia???--I would choose the liver.

Should only be helpful... new
      #350426 - 09/29/09 12:20 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

There isn't any reason why any soluble fiber would have a negative effect on your liver (or any other organs). There are actually some studies showing acacia is helful for hepatoxicity prevention.

I'd certainly follow your doctor's advice, but acacia is exceedingly well-tested in humans and I've never seen anything that would be worrisome.

Might tell your doc it's also called gum arabic - that's a more familiar name sometimes.

Hope you're doing better soon.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#350430 - 09/29/09 02:20 PM
Windchimes

Reged: 09/05/09
Loc: Northern California

Over my many years of hospital employment, one thing I do remember is that avid and unrelenting exercisers (joggers, marathon runners, etc) tend to have elevated liver enzymes on blood chemistry. I see that you are in training for some sprinting events. I suspect this might have caused your elevated liver enzymes since your last blood chemistray panel was performed.

It would be unlikely that Acacia powder would have anything to do with your abnormal liver enzymes, in fact I would go so far to say that this would be an impossible cause of the change in liver enzymes.

Do be also be extremely careful about alcohol consumption, as it not only can flare IBS, it can also elevate liver enzymes rapidly.

--------------------
Senior female, IBS-D, presently stable thanks to Heather & Staff

#350476 - 09/30/09 06:37 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Either you didn't explain what acacia was to your doc (a soluble fiber source) or your doctor is pretty dumb. Acacia is just like the soluble fiber we eat in food without the food and cannot cause medical problems.
I am sorry about your liver test.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Should only be helpful... new
      #350486 - 10/01/09 05:14 AM
Kteach84

Reged: 03/31/08
Loc: MA

Thanks everyone! That makes me feel better anyways. I will talk to the doctor about it more now that I know. He did agree from the beginning that it probably wasn't that, but he hadn't heard of the specific type of fiber so I think thats why he was concerned. I've been off it for 2 days and I already am not enjoying it so the faster I can convince him the better. Good thing I am already relatively stable so it hasn't been too horrible- but I definitely like my soluble fiber and it allows me to eat more. For example yesterday I had beans in my soup which I am normally fine with but without my soluble fiber supplement, ow! I'm sure I'll get it back soon!

--------------------
I am training for a Sprint Triathlon- Check out my Blog!
http://redsoxcap.blogspot.com/

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 1228 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1673

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review