All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
My doctor put me on Lotronex now and here is some info for those interested (m)
      #347528 - 06/25/09 06:32 AM
Sandyg

Reged: 09/13/04

I had posted earlier with questions on the differences between Lotronex and Lomotil. I thought I'd share my experience. I realize there are many bad side effects to this drug and it's not to be taken lightly. It was right for me at this time.

I am taking .5 mg a day now each morning. I originally wanted to try this b/c I was having some really bad days, where it would take me a few hours to be able to leave the house because I was going so much. not D, but urgency and frequency. My family was going to Disney for a week and didn't want to be the one holding everyone up and having to be so careful with every thing I put in my mouth. I had been very careful prior and it didn't seem to be helping. I was relying a lot on imodium and lomotil and then getting C for a day and then the cycle would repeat.

At first lotronex made me a little C but as my body had adjusted more, I don't have urgency anymore. I normally go a little in the morning and then again at night. It takes me longer to go but I think that will adjust itself also. I also am eating more insoluble fiber. I was so afraid to eat salads or fruit and I have been enjoying these things again. I don't want to be on this a long time but for now, It has helped stabilize me. I will continue the eating for IBS diet because I know it's healthy. I am enjoying the freedom and confidence of going out of the house and not fearing that I won't be near a bathroom.

I had one incident at Disney where I was on line for a ride and knew I had to go before getting online. I knew for awhile but kept holding it. (silly me) I did have to exit the line and make it back to a bathroom and then rejoin my family later. It was a one time thing though and after I went it was done. (not like before, where I would have to go several times in a few minutes).

Just thought I'd update those who might be interested.
Sandy

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Thanks - this is good to know. And I'm glad you're doing so well. -nt- new
      #347544 - 06/25/09 01:19 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Lortronex and me new
      #358112 - 04/27/10 01:55 PM
Sand

Heather's EFI diet was a like a miracle for me. When I found this Website and her books I was so sick with IBS-D that I could hardly get out of the house. I found almost immediate relief from my worst symptoms by following her guidelines and as time went by I got more and more stable. My food-triggered IBS was gone so long as I followed Heather's approach.

However, I never got the anxiety-triggered aspects of my IBS under control. As long as I stayed in my comfort zones, I was okay. But if I was going someplace new, my anxiety would cause an IBS flare. My doctor prescribed Ativan and I took that with a fair amount of success: Imodium and Ativan became my standard meds for trips.

Due to other health problems I'm not going to go into, however, my anxiety levels just kept getting worse. After a nightmare trip to Baltimore last summer, I went back to my GI doctor and we talked about Lotronex. He is authorized to prescribe it and thought it was well worth a try. I've been on it for almost six months now and here's what I've found.

It works for me. As far as I can tell, it simply makes it impossible for my bowel to spasm. That doesn't mean I don't still occasionally feel tummy-terrible: the Lotronex doesn't do anything about gas (which luckily is not a huge problem for me) and although it keeps my bowel from spasming it doesn't always keep my bowel from feeling like it wants to spasm.

For a while, I ran amok in terms of food, eating everything. I soon discovered, however, that the more I strayed from Heather's food guidelines the worse my tummy felt and the more Lotronex it took to make it feel under control. So now the EFI guidelines are my baseline eating plan and I add on "forbidden" items rather than my baseline eating plan being forbidden items. (Interestingly, I found that some foods I missed I no longer liked and I also found that some foods I used to eat I just couldn't face - I have yet to have a beef hamburger, for instance.)

How much Lotronex is enough seems to vary widely from person to person. I found people on the Internet who were taking 2 mg a day and I found one person who claimed to be taking .25 mg once a week and doing well. I take 0.125 mg a day but I don't take it every day. If I know I'm going to be home or in my comfort zone all day, I often won't take the Lotronex. Not only is it hideously expensive, it also has a very serious side-effect and I figure the less I take it the less I risk that side-effect. Besides that, even such a small dose is somewhat constipating for me and I like to give my body a chance to get back to normal for a day or two.

Even with the Lotronex, I do occasionally take an Imodium and once or twice I've taken an Ativan. (It's perfectly safe to do so.) I imagine I could get the same effect by taking a higher dose of Lotronex but adding a little Imodium and Ativan seems safer. This almost always happens when I don't get enough sleep: if I sleep for fewer than 6 hours my tummy goes berserk and needs all the help it can get.

I do want to try the IBS hypno program again at some point. It's possible that with much of my anxiety about my IBS relieved by knowing the Lotronex works, I'll be able to benefit from the hypno program and maybe someday I won't need Lotronex at all. For now, though, Lotronex has provided the missing piece of my IBS puzzle and I'm glad I tried it.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

I never knew this, Sand. Thanks for a great story. -nt- new
      #358117 - 04/27/10 03:11 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Re: Lortronex and me new
      #358122 - 04/27/10 07:38 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

well it's interesting to know that you also need medicine to help your ibs. it's hard to read all the posts of how people are doing so well just following the efi diet. i was getting discouraged wondering why i never feel too great..now maybe i may ask my dr about this medicine too..thanks for sharing this information..hopefully it can help others who feel like i do...

This is why I hesitated to post my story new
      #358147 - 04/28/10 06:43 AM
Sand

I was afraid someone with an attitude would half-read it and conclude EFI doesn't really work after all. So please keep in mind...

I only need medicine because of my anxiety. On Heather's EFI approach, as long as I'm not in a situation that makes me anxious about my IBS, I'm fine. Whatever part of my IBS is caused by food, the EFI diet takes care of. And for anyone who thinks that's no big deal, let me tell you: before I found EFI I had continuous IBS attacks even if I locked myself in my house for weeks on end. I suspect - although I cannot know for sure, of course - that part of the reason my anxiety over my IBS is so bad is because I had it so long and so severely before finding EFI. I know part of it is because of my other health problems.

Furthermore, the more closely I follow EFI the less my anxiety-triggered IBS flares. It's like x percent of my IBS is food-trigged and y percent is anxiety-triggered and so long as I keep the food part under control the anxiety part can only do limited damage. Travel, of course, means that it's harder for me to stick to EFI *and* that my anxiety over my IBS goes up - a deadly combination for me. Add to that my other health problems and it's a recipe for misery.

So lose the, "Ah-ha, I knew this didn't work" attitude. Based on the posts of yours I've read and answered, skh, you aren't following the EFI Diet. That's your choice and, yes, Lotronex may provide a short cut but it's a dangerous drug and I think it's a mistake to jump right to that without doing your darnedest to get relief elsewhere. So here's my advice for *anyone* thinking about Lotronex.

Before you try Lotronex, be sure you're doing EFI right. I don't think anything would help the IBS I had when I wasn't doing EFI - I barely left the house and taking Imodium was like taking a sugar pill. I'm pretty sure my gut would have laughed at Lotronex. Make sure you're on an SFS and getting enough of it. Try peppermint capsules and/or peppermint tea. Try Imodium.

Once you're doing all that, then if you still need help, try the hypno. If you're still having symptoms after that, try anti-anxiety meds. If those don't do it, try anti-depressants. Some people with IBS-D get relief from Elavil - for me it kind of worked but not really and the side-effects were horrible. If none of that works, then think about Lotronex.

Lotronex is a big, big drug and it has two major side-effects. One is constipation. That's easily coped with: if you get constipated, you stop taking the medicine - but some people don't and get themselves into trouble. The other is bowel necrosis: this is disastrous and can be deadly.

Lotronex is not something you take because you're feeling cranky about not being able to figure out EFI and somehow vindicated because someone else needs it. Lotronex is something you take when you've tried EFI and over the counter remedies; tried hypno, anti-anxiety meds, and anti-depressants; and absolutely have to have something else to do what you want in life.

--------------------

Great response .... new
      #358148 - 04/28/10 06:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Meds are only part of a management program which should include dietary management too! Lotronex has such serious side effects that the manufacturer recommends that only doctors enrolled in their Prescribing Program should prescribe it. Glad to hear it is working well for you.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

Sand new
      #358153 - 04/28/10 08:16 AM
jhuggs

Reged: 03/18/09
Loc: Erie, PA

Sand...did you ever get your IBS anxiety under control? I have been stable for over a year now but I still can't get the anxiety under control. Like you as long as I'm at home, work or in my "comfort zones" I'm ok....I've never tried ativan because I have 2 kids at home and need to be alert for them. I do however take Lexapro everyday and that seems to help out a little bit.

--------------------
IBS-D & bloating.

Re: This is why I hesitated to post my story..Sand..me too new
      #358159 - 04/28/10 11:55 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

This sounds like me.

Without EFI I would not have gotten my IBS under control.
Most days were good but if I had to be somewhere and had no alternatives..my stress level rose and my IBS flared up no matter what i did.
I rarely have to use my Lorazepam because just knowing I have it for backup makes all my IBS symptoms go away.
If I really stray from my safe foods I still pay no matter how much Lorazepam I take but I don't focus on where the bathrooms are or how my tummy is feeling .

EFI really works for Ders.BUT you have to be committed to it

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Lortronex and me new
      #358160 - 04/28/10 12:03 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

Everyone is different.

My IBS is mostly emotionally triggered.
High levels of stress set mine off BUT I still need to eat my safe foods when things are going downhill.It helps to stabilize my system and I can handle life without the drugs.
You may need it too but I maybe use it once every couples months.I try to control my IBS with my diet.

Its not that hard really.

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

Re: Sand new
      #358173 - 04/28/10 07:09 PM
Sand

No. The post from me is from today and that's where I am right now. (I posted it as a reply to sandyg's post because I thought it would be interesting to have two different Lotronex stories together. Sorry if it was confusing.) So, anxiety over my IBS is still my bugaboo.

--------------------

Re: This is why I hesitated to post my story new
      #358179 - 04/28/10 08:03 PM
skh

Reged: 08/05/09

sand u say i have an attitude and that based on my posts i don't follow the efi diet..when u researched my posts where in them did u find that i'm not following the diet? i am trying very hard to do just that. i have the acacia fiber, the pep pills, the teas and the book, i have the hypno tapes, the anti spasmodic meds, amodium, all the tests recommended and eat basically white meat chicken, rice, sourdough bread, carrots and green beans on a daily basis. so before u get the attitude that i am not following what i should be please be sure u have all the facts first...i too have anxiety related ibs and it's my biggest problem as well..so relax! after reading your previous posts i would have NEVER known the diet wasn't what seemed to keep u stable..that's all..no attitude needed...we all have stress about ibs..u don't know it but your post about needing meds helped me!!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1660 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4767

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review