All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
how can I loose weight on this kind of eatting?
      #347217 - 06/16/09 08:43 AM
mrscee

Reged: 04/01/09

so much carbs, it seems...what to do...

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: how can I loose weight on this kind of eatting? new
      #347221 - 06/16/09 10:23 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi there,

People that have lost a tremendous amount of weight due to their IBS are able to gain weight and return to a healthy weight by following Heather's dietary guidelines. People that would like to lose weight are also satisfied because this is very low fat diet and it is also high in soluble fiber, which helps to improve blood sugar regulation. Please read the frequently asked questions section on the website because there are a few FAQs about this topic. http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#weight_gain.

The Fitness & Lifestyle Board are where various dieting strategies are discussed. http://www.helpforibs.com/messageboards/ubbthreads/postlist.php?Cat=&Board=fitness.

You might also wish to "search" the boards for past posts on your topic.

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

common question new
      #347238 - 06/16/09 07:54 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think we need another sticky post regarding the healthiness of this diet. There have been a lot of questions lately about the presumption that simple carbs and sugar and basically junk food like Wonder bread are to be eaten on this diet. Perhaps a sampling of how to eat safe but ultra healthy is needed. And maybe also a sample daily diet of someone avoiding gluten.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

#347249 - 06/17/09 07:53 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

I agree. I curtail the simple carbs as much as possible.

#347251 - 06/17/09 11:41 AM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

You have been very open about how the EFI diet doesn't work for you. For many of us it has worked and eating the carbs, taking soluable fiber and eating low fat is how I personally became stable. I am sure this is how many others have become stable also.

What people have to remember is that you can eat healthy and follow the EFI diet. White bread doesn't mean sliced white sandwich bread. The bread recommended is freshly baked sourdough or french bread.

I think it is only fair to try to support new members trying to follow the EFI diet. You have found by trial and error that the diet did not work for you. How will new members know whether the diet works if they don't try it.If new members have questions or concerns about a diet that is new to them and you reply with a comment supporting the fact that the EFI diet doesn't work they may never try.

--------------------
Janey

See the diet FAQ section of the site which address this new
      #347261 - 06/17/09 02:35 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

right here http://www.helpforibs.com/diet/faq.asp#make_me_fat

- Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

i really don't have a problem with weight gain on efi new
      #347267 - 06/18/09 01:16 AM
glasgowgirl

Reged: 09/01/08
Loc: Vancouver, Canada

I went down to around 120 pounds which is a reasonable weight for someone at 5'4' when my IBS was bad and I couldn't eat anything. Things improved dramatically after I started the EFI diet. I found combining high GI carbs (like rice) with other low GI foods like proteins or fruit and veg works well. Apparently the low GI foods prevent spikes in blodd sugar.

--------------------
Stable IBS D

Hmmmm..... new
      #347279 - 06/18/09 08:18 AM
osbo54

Usually, I ignore you and your mean comments, (there have been many, and they are always mean) to me, but this time, I will clear up any misunderstanding you may have. But, rest assured, this is the last time I will give you any of my attention, nor will I read anything else that you have to say in response, or otherwise.

Let me be more clear on my previous post. Everything in moderation. Heather's diet is top notch. I balance the carbs with good quality protein. What I meant was, that you don't want to go overboard with the carbs...that isn't healthy. I feel finding the right balance for you, is key.

I was concerned for the Newbie, since she was concerned about the carbs. Maybe, just maybe, she needs to up her protein a little bit. I was simply offering a suggestion, based on what has worked for me, not bashing Heather or her diet, and I am tired of you accusing me of that. This is at least the third of fourth time you have posted that to me, and it is not the case, so stop accusing me. You post comes across as "sweet", but I read between the lines, especially after your previous posts to me.

I thought that was what these boards were for...to share your experience, even though it may not be like everyone elses.

Maybe my posts don't always come across as I intend, but I always have good intentions in my heart. I would never purposely set out to hurt someone with this condition, especially Newbies. I will try to do better in the future with making sure my posts relay the message I am trying to get across.

I will take the high road concerning the rest of your comments.

Re: Hmmmm..... new
      #347290 - 06/18/09 08:20 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I think Janey's posts are, in fact, sweet, reasonable and caring. Just my opinion.

It doesn't help anyone on this forum to be negative about the EFI diet, and Heather has asked the old timers here to be I guess stricter with the guidelines of the forum and encourage others within those guidelines. So if you have a problem with someone like Janey, perhaps it is because she is trying to comply with Heather's request. I can't say for sure as I don't have all the posts memorized and there could be more to the story

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: Hmmmm.....
      #347296 - 06/19/09 07:46 AM
osbo54

NO, you do not know the whole story. NO, I am not negative on the EFI diet...my point in my last post. YES, I encourage others to follow Heather's diet. NO, I did not step outside the guidelines. YES, I do have a problem with Janey's posts to me. YES, you are seeing what you want to see regarding Janey, but not the entire picture. NO, this was none of your affair, but again, there your are. NO, I did not start this, (Janey did, as usual), but I will finish it!

It seems to me it's OK for the so-called "old-timers" to speak what they feel, but anyone else is censored. I have never encouraged anyone to not follow the diet (especially Newbies). I have only meant to convey, AFTER getting stable, that you may want to tweak the diet some, as I have. For instance, potatoes give me C, but they are on the list of OK foods, so I limit them. Oatmeal gives me D on occasion, so I avoid that, although that is on the OK list of foods. On the other hand, I can have occasional cheese, and eggs do not bother me at all, and these foods are not on the OK list of foods. I am in no way saying that a Newbie not follow the plan, but I am trying to get across that sometimes you may need to continue to investigate what does and does not work for you, AFTER you get the diet down. Why should I, or anyone else for that matter, deny themselves a food they can enjoy, if it does not bother their IBS? Maybe it isn't on the allowed list of foods, but unless you try, you will not know. And of course, Janey, this is AFTER they get everything under control with the basic plan. I don't think advising someone to lessen their carbs a little, is off of the basic plan, do you? Obviously you do, from your comments.

On any type of self-help boards on the Internet, you are going to have Newbies coming on board in the middle of conversations between people, who have the condition under control (the so-called old-timers). You will not stop that. I completely understand steering those people to the basics of the plan. But, don't censor me, because I offer up a suggestion from my experience, that they may or may not implement, after getting down the basics. But I get it, because Janey is an "old-timer", as your are, you and she are always right? There have been times that you, Minnie, have given incorrect info out, but I kept my mouth shut, because I knew I didn't stand a chance. Syl was the only one who called you out on the incorrect info. Bravo to him!

So, my point to the poster about carbs (which I was not clear about, in my post), was maybe she should lessen her carbs somewhat, and up her protein, if she was concerned about weight gain. Heather's diet has never presented a problem about weight, for me, but it may for her. And from my simple post to lessen her carbs, Janey decides I am against the EFI diet, and I am telling Newbies not to follow it, which is not the case. Where in the world she arrived at that, from that post, I do not know. But, she's an old-timer, so she must know...right?

Another example would be the people that write in that they cannot handle Acacia. They are made to feel that it's "all in their head", because per your words, "it's just like regular food", or "that they did something wrong", per Erin's words. How helpful is that to a Newbie, to insinuate that it is all their problem, it's all in their head, there is something wrong with them, and it is not the product? Maybe their body cannot handle Acacia. Again Janey posts that I am anti-Heather and anti-Heather's diet, which is not the case.

I am tired of trying to be part of a community of mostly wonderful people, (except for a select few), and being constantly accused and criticized, when I am only trying to offer help to anyone with this condition. Anything I post, Janey immediately jumps on, no matter what it is, and that's OK, but it isn't OK for me to defend myself? Well, Janey, I should have continued to ignore you (to keep down contention), but now I guess you have gotten just what you wanted all along. Beyond the sticky sweetness of your posts, I read between the lines. Others may not know, but both you and I know what has transpired. But, darn, you are an old-timer, so shucks, you are, of course, right.

Heather,
What I would say to you, is that you are a wonderful person. You have helped so many, that docs laughed at or were unable to help. The relief that you have brought to many lives (including mine), is incredible. You run a tight ship (and despite this post, I do appreciate that), and have the best boards around, that offer helpful information and products that are reasonably priced. People will flock to what helps/works and by word of mouth others will follow, and that accounts for your incredible success. Keep doing what you're doing. You should be very proud and it must feel good inside to have helped so many.

And, I must thank this website for bringing me the wonderful Michael Mahoney. Without him and his fantastic cd's, I don't know that I would feel as good as I do today. I am symptom free!

Be and stay well to my friends on these boards. You know who you are.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1659 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3404

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review