All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Alternate sites
      #345639 - 05/05/09 04:26 PM
Sand

Reged: 12/13/04
Loc: West Orange, NJ (IBS-D)

Boy, things got cranky around here. I've got nothing to say about that - except "Trust me, I'm the least vegan-y person you will ever meet in your life" - but I do have something to say about setting up alternate sites.

I think it's a great idea for a couple of reasons.

First, although I have personally built a shrine to Heather in my front yard and worship at it regularly in gratitude for her plan having helped me get my IBS stabilized, I do acknowledge that her approach does not necessarily work for everyone. It would be great if there were other sites that explored other approaches *civilly*.

Second, for as long as I've been on the Boards - and that's a long, long time - there have always been sub-groups who do get relief from Heather's approach but want their own separate section anyhow: a lot of people with C ; people with a history of Eating Disorders (someone actually set up a Yahoo group for that); vegans who want a special recipe section; and so on. It takes literally 15 minutes to start a blog on BlogSpot so if you think this will help you and others, go for it.

Be warned however - running a Website is a lot of very, very hard work. It's time-consuming; trolls lurk everywhere; some of your users will say about you exactly the same kinds of things you say about Heather; and you'll be darn lucky if one person in a hundred says, "Thank you."

Which brings me to my final point: Thank you, Heather. And thank you to those users who have signed up for the job of moderator. Without you, chaos.

--------------------
[Research tells us fourteen out of any ten individuals likes chocolate. - Sandra Boynton]

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Alternate sites new
      #345640 - 05/05/09 04:36 PM
khyricat

Reged: 08/05/04
Loc: Michigan

Very true.. and thank you Heather from me as well...

Some of the things here have helped a lot, I've also gotten a lot of helpful advice that wasn't all true to the eating for IBS series, but I have also long planned on doing something that I will wait at least a year to start... Until I am a CERTIFIED RD and done with school!

I am going to open a website to help people with IBS/IBD and Diabetics (seperate sections).. some of it will be general advice, some of it may be open discussion forums (that is still in consideration- I am writing a business plan right now for a class) and some of it will be me doing one on one consultations and counseling via email.

BUT I am studying to be a dietitian and when I am done am going to continue on to be a Diabetes Certified Educator.. there isn't something like that for IBS/IBD, but I am reading all the research I can, and focusing my studies on that.

Amie

--------------------
Dietetics Student (anticipating RD exam in Aug 2010)
IBS - A
Dairy Allergic
Fructose and MSG intollerant

#345642 - 05/05/09 04:46 PM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Bravo to new sites that are well run! We are all in this together, and we can use all the help we can get. Variety is the spice of life, or so they say.

Thanks Sand! new
      #345643 - 05/05/09 05:00 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

And to anyone who does (or will) have a good IBS site, blog, boards, what have you, let me know and I'm happy to trade links, add them to our Facebook or MySpace pages, etc.

XXOO
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

#345655 - 05/06/09 07:53 AM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

I send out my gratitude to Heather as well. Without her and this site, I would still be miserable everyday instead of a every-once-in-a-while! This website was my saving grace!!!

THANK YOU!!! AND THANK YOU TO ALL THE MODERATORS AS WELL, YOU HAVE A TOUGH JOB!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 907 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1513

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review