All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)
not only did the stuff not work . . .
      #345084 - 04/26/09 10:56 PM
MarthaM

Reged: 03/26/09

Just so y'all know ya gotta be careful and every new thing is an experiment: in addition to extreme diligence and care with my diet, from this venue I've tried acacia fiber and peppermint oil capsules separately and weeks apart. Both made me incredibly worse and miserable until stopping them. Perhaps the non-specific carboydrate factor/complex molecular chain structure of the acacia fiber and of the soy in the capsules. But then again, who knows?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: not only did the stuff not work . . . new
      #345090 - 04/27/09 06:01 AM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

I can not do soy it makes things worse for me.And any peppermint sets me off too.Youare not alone.Everyone is different and it sometimes takes a lot of experimenting to find the right combo for you.
Good luck

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

#345163 - 04/28/09 06:15 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

yeah, it stinks that it doesn't work for everyone. This stupid IBS is so different for each body....no wonder we can't figure it out!

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

acacia and peppermint oil caps new
      #345189 - 04/28/09 10:53 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08
Loc: Seattle, WA

Hi Martha,

I am so sorry you are not feeling okay right now. It's very important to remember that these things do not work overnight. It will take a little time for you to stabalize and feel better again. I would first encourage you to get diagnosed if you haven't already...there may be something else going on such as food allergies or sensitivies (ie. soy). Also remember that stress has so much to do with stabalizing. Even if you follow the diet to the "T" and are taking all of the supplements, stress can easily override your attempts to stabalize.

Please read the guidelines on how to take the acacia and peppermint capsules. There's a chance you aren't taking them correctly. Also be sure that you are not eating any of the trigger foods and eating as the guidelines indicate. Sometimes we have to look a little harder to figure out what we are doing wrong. I would encourage you to start writing down what you eat and in what order (SF first then IF). This should help clear the air for you.

Also feel free to email us at help@helpforibs.com. if you're still stuck.

I hope this helps and hope you feel better soon!
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

#345191 - 04/28/09 11:02 AM
osbo54

Reged: 09/04/08

Yes, that is so true. Every new thing that you put into your body is an experience and an experiment. And, everyone is different. What one person can tolerate, another may not, even if it has been proven to help with most. Don't feel like you did anything "wrong", especially if you gave it a fair trial.

Hang in there, and you will find what works for you. It may be trial and error for awhile. Keep the faith!

Re: not only did the stuff not work . . . *DELETED* new
      #345204 - 04/28/09 12:44 PM

Unregistered

Post deleted by JasonRow

To Jason Row new
      #345207 - 04/28/09 01:04 PM
osbo54

You were reg'd before as escabar70 and you are trying to scam people into buying the books on your website. You were posting on the LivingRoom board. Then when I called you on it, you deleted your posts. I will notify the Administrator again for scamming people.

Good Call!!!!! - nt new
      #345208 - 04/28/09 01:14 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

Kappy new
      #345209 - 04/28/09 01:16 PM
osbo54

Kappy, he is not going to give up! He'll just come back as another user.

I will notify Heather.

Re: Kappy new
      #345211 - 04/28/09 01:53 PM
Kappy

Reged: 10/09/08
Loc: Mississippi

You are so right!!!!!

--------------------
IBS-C, Gas, Bloating, HURTING!

I'm married and it's so wonderful!

#345278 - 04/29/09 05:13 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

It drives me crazy when people think they personally can't take a soluble fiber supplement. It is the same fiber you eat without the food. If people didn't think of it like medicine but more like food their brains wouldn't tell them they can't handle it. IMHO.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

For Martha M. new
      #345282 - 04/29/09 06:03 PM
osbo54

I cannot handle the SFS supplements either. To me it is along the same line as a vitamin/mineral in a pill...removed from it's source. Maybe more concentrated. It is not as nature intended. On 1/4 teaspoon once a day, I was gassier than ever, and I gave it a long time to subside. Too much pain for me.

I don't need peppermint, since I do not suffer from cramps, but I could never do it anyway. With acid reflux, it would just kill me.

All products do not work for all people. Don't listen to me, don't listen to anyone else, just yourself. You know best how your body responds, so honor your experience.

All the best!

#345295 - 04/30/09 07:10 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

http://beyondwellbeing.com/ibs/
Western medicine describes IBS as one disorder while eastern shows the differences in every body explaining why some people can tolerate some things and others cant. CHeck this website out to see what kind of ibs u have. its pretty interesting and helps you figure out how to treat yourself better.

for Allisonmary new
      #345296 - 04/30/09 07:23 AM
osbo54

Thanks so much for sharing this website. It is very interesting. I have always followed alternative or Eastern medicine as opposed to Western medicine. I've always thought any disorder is not a "one shot fix all" type of problem since everyone is so different.

Lynn

darn, I can't seem to find the info or view the video new
      #345297 - 04/30/09 07:46 AM
Jordy

Does it tell you what to do for each cause of IBS? Is there anything else I can read that would describe this?

--------------------

#345306 - 04/30/09 08:22 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Thank you very much for this site! I am finding the information contained in it very interesting

for Rebecca- here it is new
      #345307 - 04/30/09 09:36 AM
osbo54

Here is the thread for you.

Re: for Allisonmary new
      #345348 - 05/01/09 04:24 AM
Allisonmary

Reged: 01/03/04

Yea definetely. I study western and eastern medicine, and for IBS it seems to me that eastern medicine has a lot more answers that people here dont realize. Thats because western medicine doesnt take in to account the energy channels that run through our body. But just cause you cant see the energy doesnt mean its not there. IF you go to a good acupuncturist or herbal doctor thats one way to treat your specific problem. Its not easy though, Im sure you know that your IBS probably changes from day to day and there are usually more than one problems going on at the same time. They can give yuo herbs as a tea form to help but I must say that the last time I did, it really helped for a couple of days then it became too much and i had a different problem. So you always want to be careful with anything you take especially since our stomachs are so sensitive. Acupuncture is great i think but you need a good acupuncturist and also you need to be very self aware as to what is going on in your body to get good results. IT may take some time.
There is so info to know, GIovani MAccioci wrote great text books about this stuff if you are interested in studying it for real. (THe foundations of chinese medicine is one) I often read it for fun its so interesting to me. Its not specifically for IBS though. You will find alot of info on ibs having to do with the Spleen/Stomach and Liver energy. OFten the Kidney is involved also. Not the kidney really but the kidney channel. If you have a specific question i can try to answer.
Small things I know you can do to strengthen the Spleen which is involved in digestion is to eat cooked orange or yellow fruits or vegetables like squash and sweet potatoes. Also cooked foods are much better for the spleen and raw/cold foods (insolubles) are bad. HOwvever too many cooked foods can start to damage the stomach energy causing other problems. For this reason, you need to find a balance of soluble and insoluble.
If you tend to have diarrhea that tends to be a more "Cold" condition and you need to be internally warmed. FOr this, ginger tea is good. Also, you can buy moxa and use it on you abdomen to help warm your intestines. IT smells like pot but it feels real good. WHenever I have moxa done I feel great. Constipation is usually more internal heat and therefore you need to be cooled off. Peppermint is a cooling herb. If you are lacking heat you dont really want to be drinking cooling teas. Of course this can change from day to day so you have to learn to be aware of your body.
I can go on and on theres so much to know. DEF consider studying more, it may really help you.:)

#345350 - 05/01/09 07:13 AM
lj

Reged: 09/24/04

Minnie,

Same or not I don't know , but I CANNOT tolerate fiber supplements and I have tried many over a period of 5 years. I am better without them. They all cause me horrid pain and believe me I really wanted them to work. Please don't put some one down for not being able to tolerate something. It is like telling that person "It's all in your head." " Just relax" Sound familiar? I would hope we are trying to get away from that approach on this board.

Laura

#345352 - 05/01/09 07:44 AM
osbo54

Laura,

I so agree with you. There is also a post stating that MarthaM did something "wrong", along with the post that you mention. How helpful are these posts to MarthaM? Is it a matter of selling product, or is it a matter of actually helping someone?

Not all SFs are the same new
      #345353 - 05/01/09 07:47 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

There are dozens of different soluble fibers. As the IBS research findings and Heather have pointed out some rapidly fermenting soluble fibers such as inulin and FOS are not tolerated by many IBSers and normal people as well.

The effects of soluble fiber are real effects that take place in the gut irrespective of what one's brain thinks or one believes! Some soluble fibers supplements have negative effects on some individuals. These negative effects are definitely not imaginary! IMHO

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

thanx Allisonmary- nt new
      #345354 - 05/01/09 07:48 AM
osbo54

Re: Not all SFs are the same new
      #345356 - 05/01/09 09:53 AM

Unregistered

I use FiberCon with great results..Anyone else? It doesn't have any of the ingredients syl mentioned.ALso on the bottle it says Gentle Enough for everyday use, won't ferment to cause gas or bloating.

#345367 - 05/01/09 06:43 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

The Help For IBS boards were not established to sell products and I think it is insulting to Heather and all of her hard work to suggest this.

--------------------
Janey

it doesn't make sense new
      #345473 - 05/03/09 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

I don't want to insult people, but it simply doesn't make sense to not be able to tolerate a SAFE soluble fiber supplement, like acacia or fibercon or benefiber, because you eat food with fiber, don't you? If you couldn't tolerate fiber in food then not tolerating a SFS would make sense. But I think people take too much SFS at one time at the beginning and it probably equals 10 bowls of cheerios to their gut and then of course it would cause problems. I just cannot accept that a SFS, when taken wisely , would be any different than eating a sweet potato or other SF source.

I don't agree that feeling this way is akin to a person's disbelief in IBS by saying it is all in our heads. We know how much our 'gut brain' has to do with our symptoms. If something seems like it will be problematic we can get symptoms from it due to the stress alone. After 5 years on this board I have proven my purpose is to help others, not demean them.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

but we were only talking about acacia -nt new
      #345474 - 05/03/09 07:12 PM
Little Minnie

--------------------

Re: it doesn't make sense new
      #345486 - 05/04/09 06:10 AM
Jordy

I wish those of you who are able to tolerate SFS would not make us, who don't tolerate them, feel as if it is our fault. That we are in some way not taking it correctly or that we are not doing it the right way. Why blame us for not being able to control how our bodies react to SFS?

I don't understand it either, as your words make sense that it should be like eating SF foods. But try explaining that to our bodies?????

Even just taking 1/4 tsp once a day for a week, then increasing by 1/4 tsp the next week.....my body doesn't seem to like the SFS. I don't know why.

(and before anyone else suggests it, I have done the hypno CDs). It still didn't make the SFS tolerable.

--------------------

You know new
      #345491 - 05/04/09 06:36 AM
Jordy

Oh, never mind.

--------------------

Edited by Jordy (05/04/09 09:36 AM)

Jordy new
      #345497 - 05/04/09 08:03 AM
osbo54

Don't beat yourself up sweetie! I can't take them either. Trust in yourself.

Jordy - DITTO!!-- nt new
      #345498 - 05/04/09 08:04 AM
osbo54

Re: You know new
      #345501 - 05/04/09 08:30 AM
Rebecca1013

Reged: 04/05/09
Loc: Catasauqua Pennsylvania

Nope I don't belive it has anything to do with you! Just as some of us can handle fruit, and some can't if Miss Minnie can explain to me why some of us can handle certain foods while others can't...but it is so far fetched to believe the same would apply to supplements, I would be extremly interested in hearing her reasoning.

Within the past two weeks there have been a number of posts from her on here talking down to ppl and insulting them, if that is not her intention, then I appoligize, but I found it interesting that not only I feel this way but a number of ppl including the ones who are asking for help that are feeling insulted as well.

Re: You know new
      #345504 - 05/04/09 08:49 AM
erindAdministrator

Reged: 03/19/08

Hi Everyone,

Wow...well, I have heard that some folks simply cannot tolerate certain fiber supplements. It's important to make sure you are taking them correctly, however, some do have sensitivites to certain supplemental sources of fiber. As this is very rare, we have seen this. I would encourage everyone to do what works for them. Some can handle Soluble fiber supplements and some have allergies or intolerances to concentrated amounts. The best thing to do is to get to know your bodies the best you can...From our experience, the reason the soluble fiber hasn't worked for some in the past were for a few reasons. 1) They started with way too much fiber to begin with 2)They weren't eating correctly to help manage their IBS 3)The stress in their lives overrode any attempt to help their symptoms.

Best,
Erin

--------------------
Erin Dudley, MS, CN
Certified Nutritionist
Heather's Tummy Care / Heather & Company for IBS, LLC
IBS Education, Support, & Products
Toll Free: 866 640 4942 Direct: 206 264 8069 Fx: 206 264 8072
80 S. Washington St. #304, Seattle, WA 98104 USA

Patient Support Site: HelpForIBS.com
Wholesale Accounts: HeathersTummyCare.com
Co-Packing Services

Join Heather's IBS Newsletter Here
Join us on Facebook!
Join us on MySpace!

LEGAL DISCLAIMER - This email is not intended to replace the services of a physician, nor does it constitute a doctor-patient relationship. Any application of the recommendations in this email is at the reader's discretion. Heather Van Vorous and Heather & Company for IBS, LLC are not liable for any direct or indirect claim, loss or damage resulting from use of this email and/or any web site(s) linked to/from it. Readers should consult their own physicians concerning the recommendations in this email

Re: Jordy..I've never even tried one.nt new
      #345524 - 05/04/09 02:29 PM
dragonfly

Reged: 05/12/08
Loc: canada

--------------------
IBS-D since 1999...mostly stable..i do cheat too.Bad me.

my response new
      #345535 - 05/04/09 06:00 PM
Little Minnie

I have never in 5 years really heard of someone truly stable who does not take a SFS or eat the equivalent in fiber rich foods. Also I have never heard Heather say there are people who can't tolerate a safe SFS. She never promotes her products on this forum and has never curtailed the suggestion of other fiber supplements, teas or pep caps! This forum is free and she doesn't advertise on it. That is something!

I'm sorry you are under the assumption that I demean people. Due to the state of the boards and the many posts about eating triggers I have been doing my job in emphasizing that those foods are not allowed on the EFI plan and this is an EFI board. It does not mean questions and concerns of all natures can't come up and be handled in a helpful way. It is important though to stress to people *who aren't stable* that the best way to get there is by actually following the diet.

I know you have stopped posting, but I have an assumption that you may still read replies to your posts, I will use this opportunity to say I am sick to death of this pervading notion that Heather's diet is 1 vegan and 2 not healthy. Those opinions are 100% false. There is nothing here saying a person needs to eat processed carb crap- it is quite the opposite! And the fact that red meat is hard to digest does not mean that other meat is not perfectly ok for IBS. Just because a few here are vegetarian or vegan does not mean the board is anti-meat!!! That is so offensive to me because I perceive it as being snotty and argumentative. When I tell people not to eat red meat and dairy it is only for those with IBS symptoms who want to alleviate them. My own husband eats dairy and red meat and that is his choice, since he doesn't have digestive issues.

People have come and gone over the years who just couldn't get with the program. I have stuck it out because I want to help people and parlay about IBS. I have been to other IBS forums and I can truly say none are as friendly, helpful or easy-going as this one. 5 years ago when I posted at ibsgroup there was a jerk there who argued with everyone about there being no such thing as trapped gas. He would say mean things and put up rude emoticons. Feel free to go there and talk about meat and carbs. Many there are completely carb free and you can call them anti-carb when they tell you not to eat bread or rice.

--------------------

forgot this new
      #345540 - 05/04/09 06:15 PM
Little Minnie

I don't even mention not eating meat here very much. It also isn't in my signature. It is funny because in my post about ground beef being unsafe I had the urge to mention something about the cow, but it wasn't pertinent; yet I still get jabs about not eating meat. Since it seems to be common knowledge I am mentioning it now but won't do so in the future. It does not pertain to anything I say about IBS. And it is mysterious but somehow not eating meat makes everyone instantly assume you think you are better than everyone else. I have noted this with curiosity. I am the same person I was a year ago when I ate poultry. Weird.

--------------------

another opinion new
      #345544 - 05/04/09 07:03 PM
Janey

Reged: 10/25/03
Loc: Maryland

I have been a member of the boards for 6 years. Things have changed so much lately that is makes me very sad. This used to be a place where we truly did come for support. We were all friends. Now it seems there is one side against the other.

Lately I feel negative vibes from people that don't believe in the EFI diet and conflict with those that do. I find this very interesting because many are not stable yet they still want to undermine the good that is going on here.

The fact is that anyone with IBS has to change their diet and give up foods they are used to eating or love. We have all been there and it doesn't matter if it is beef or whole grain breads, etc. I read on the diet board that eating bread is terrible for people even those that don't have IBS. I can personally atest that eating white rice, white bread and other soluable fiber foods recommended is the reason that I am now stable. Are whole grain breads and brown rice better to eat? Probably, but not when they send me running to the bathroom with an attack of D which is what happens when I eat whole grains. I don't know about others but I am willing to give up what ever nutritional value whole grains provide to be D free and to be able to live a normal life.

For Those that can't seem to bring themselves to eat white rice, white bread and carbs it seems that you don't want to be stable and live without IBS worries and pain. If there are some that are against this diet why do you hang around the boards and bring negative vibes to others who want to feel better? Some accuse Little Minnie of not wanting to help others but what is actually happening is that those who post against the diet are the ones that are not helping.

Learning to follow the EFI diet is confusing enough for newbies without having people commenting on how the foods listed on the safe list are not good to eat.

I can tell you that there is a huge difference in the support on the diet board now than when I first joined. Now members want support for eating things that are known for triggering IBS symptoms. A few years ago the support helped people learn to eat in a way that relieved IBS symptoms. It was positive support from people who knew from experience that the EFI diet works and they gave hope to newbies that life can be better. Now it seems that there are many that don't want advice from those of us that are stable.

Heather has worked very hard to come up with a diet that works and to get the information out there so others can benefit from her experience. The diet board is a great place to learn how to eat so that you can feel better. These are Heather's boards and she has a right to run them the way she invisioned to best promote a diet that does work. Those that disagree really need to keep your negative thoughts to yourself because it doesn't help promote a feeling of support here. Positive support is something that we all need.

--------------------
Janey

Re: Janey new
      #345550 - 05/04/09 10:08 PM
GaGa

Reged: 01/12/08
Loc: Florida

You go, Girl! I hate confusion and conflict. This is no place for it. It is to be a safe haven for all of us to go when we need support.
Of course we aren't always going to agree, but I've had a few "licks" from people over things I've posted too. I just try to take it in stride..."hurting people, hurt people".
BUT - This is Heather's Site - she created it - thank goodness! I don't follow it to the "T" - and I'm one of those who should be wheat/gluten/dairy, etc. free, but when I have a flare I head for the mini bagels, white rice, applesauce, sourdough bread until I'm better. Same with meat, I don't particularly like it and it seems to cause me to have "C", but I know I need more protein - then I know I don't get enough good fats because I can't eat nuts and sometimes just a little olive oil can cause a flare but know I need more protein None of us are alike, other than we share the same illness. But, to my knowledge, no one has all the answers - that's why we are here... to gain knowledge and support one another.
There's too much negativity in the real world, don't need it here.
And, to my knowledge, no one on here has all the answers!
But, I thank you all for supporting me and for being open enough to share successes as well as "bad days"....
Janey, you seem to be a very kind, fair person and I appreciate you speaking your mind...
Blessings to everyone!! - Dorothy

--------------------
"I Will Survive! :-)... I shall live and not die and declare the works of The Lord..."

Re: but we were only talking about acacia -nt new
      #345587 - 05/05/09 10:50 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Many soluble fiber supplements are not "the same fiber you eat without the food". Some soluble fibers are derived from unusual plants not commonly found in Western diets. For example Gum Arabic is a fermentable complex carbohydrate with prebiotic properties that is unique to the acacia shrub/tree. The gum is used as a food additive (E414) to stablize or thicken and as a soluble fiber supplement. The soluble fiber in gum arabic is not something people would encounter in their normal diet unless they eat processed foods, beverages or candies to which it has been added. It is not surprising as witnessed by reports on this board that some people may have problems with this soluble fiber supplement too.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

This is going to change... new
      #345589 - 05/05/09 11:07 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02

Thanks for your comments, Janey. I've had so many complaints from folks about how the boards have become argumentative, disagreeable, and way off track from the EFI dietary guidelines. I have always tried to err on the side of being as permissible as possible, but I think I've gone too far in that direction.

From now on, I'm just going to lock posts that are clearly off topic and if someone continues to post in violation of the board guidelines we'll just ban them. At this point, I would genuinely prefer that those who don't want to follow the EFI diet simply leave this board and find another one that is more suitable for them.

The whole point of this board is to help people to follow the EFI diet, not to help them circumvent it.

I appreciate your candor and comments and I hope you see this board return to the helpful and friendly forum it used to be.

XXOO
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 2336 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 16541

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review