All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
someone please help!
      #34320 - 12/29/03 10:43 PM
kristingirl

Reged: 12/29/03

Hi, I'm 36 and have suffered with IBS for 20 years! I feel like I have tried just everything out there for this problem yet with no real success. My tendency is toward constipation but most troublesome is the incredibly uncomfortable bloating, abdominal distension and gas. I feel like I am at the end of my rope with this problem. I have tried all kinds of preparations to relieve the bloating but nothing ever really offers any kind of long term benefit. I am following the IBS diet now and have some good days and bad days still, I'm just not sure if its actually helping I have tried the enterric coated peppermint caps, acidophillus, no dairy, charcoal tabs, no wheat, low fat, enzymes, do you want too hear more? This makes me want to die sometimes. Can anyone offer some words of encouragement or advice?

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: someone please help! new
      #34325 - 12/30/03 05:06 AM
Yoda (formerly Hans)

Reged: 01/22/03
Loc: Canada

Welcome to the boards. Be sure to carefully read this:
web page
Many here can sympathize. Follow Heather's diet and you WILL feel better. With constipation, it takes longer, up to 2 weeks to totally stabilize. Are you properly diagnosed? It's important that you get a proper diagnosis. Tested for celiac?

--------------------
Formerly HanSolo. IBS, OCD, Bipolar, PTSD times 3.

#34336 - 12/30/03 07:30 AM
Leah

Reged: 06/18/03
Loc: Denver, CO.

I agree. Make sure you have been correctly diagnosed. If so, hang in there. Onced I started the diet, it took my tummy a few months to mellow out. I only have IBS issues once in a while as long as I follow the diet. I too have IBS C and know how painful it can be. Have you tried probiotics, removing all red meats and different types of fiber? I found switching back and forth every few months between Fibercon and Metamucil to be a big help. Hang in there and we are always here to lend an ear!
Leah

#34337 - 12/30/03 07:50 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

Hang in there with your IBS and don't get too discouraged. I've been on Heather's diet since Fall 2002 and also deal mostly with C. I don't deal with the bloating or pain as frequently anymore and when I do I always relate it to food.

Han Solo and Leah gave you great advice and just know it can take time to stablize.

#34338 - 12/30/03 07:52 AM
BarbaraS

Reged: 02/12/03
Loc: Wisconsin

One more thing. Sometimes when people start Heather's diet they don't get enough insoluble fiber in their diet (me included). With enough insoluble fiber it will be hard to control your C.

#34343 - 12/30/03 08:35 AM
kctrun

Reged: 11/23/03
Loc: Virginia

Hang in there. I have not had to deal with this as long but I was starting to feel like there was nothing left to try. I can tell you what has worked for my IBS-C. The combo of Acacia 3x a day and Jaro-Dophilus EPS 2 x a day, along with following heather's eating plan in the last 2 months has changed my stomach greatly!! Start slow with the fiber and then build up. I know I am still willing to try new things if it becomes nesacary ( hope it does not)
take care

#34350 - 12/30/03 08:49 AM
chinagrl

Reged: 12/18/03

This might be a dumb question... but did they test you for food allergies?

Good thinking ChinaGrl... new
      #34370 - 12/30/03 09:43 AM
Snow for Sarala

Reged: 03/12/03
Loc: West Coast, USA

Getting tested for food allergies is a great idea! Also, try Vitamin C for constipation and magnesium. Vitmain C can act as a laxative...start with 1,000 mg 3 times a day. Increase it until your bowels change for the better! You can also try aloe vera juice...but do it gradually...it also actas as a laxative. One more thing: Try drinking hot water with added lemon juice first thing in the am. It has really helped some people! (Do one thing at a time though...otherwise you won't know what worked!)

HTH...good luck...let us know how you're doing!

*hugs*

Ruchie

--------------------
Formerly known as Ruchie

#34384 - 12/30/03 12:04 PM
kristingirl

Reged: 12/29/03

Wow! Support! what a wonderful feeling! Thanks to everyone who so swiftly replied to my cry for help, the encouragement means a lot! I'll hang in there with the Eating for IBS plan and see where I get with it all.

And I'd add to drink fennel tea for the bloating....-nt- new
      #34434 - 12/30/03 02:32 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 1712 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1621

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review