All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1
Over the counter meds
      #341988 - 02/12/09 07:10 AM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

Does anyone know about Digestive Advantage and if its safe and effective for ibs. Also has anyone tried Multi-Enzymes supplements and if so have they been effective for ibs. I have ibs-d with urgency so I was just wondering if either one of these products work safely. I have been thinking about starting on some prenatal vitamins just to get some good vitamins started. Any suggestions on this would be great.
------------------------------
IBS-D; Diverticulosis

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: Over the counter meds--Heather new
      #342050 - 02/13/09 06:55 AM
mrae

Heather do you have any advice on this subject?

Re: Over the counter meds new
      #342051 - 02/13/09 06:58 AM
renee21

Reged: 06/02/05
Loc: Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Some reviews of digestive advantage. Seems like kind of a mixed bag.

--------------------
IBS-C, lots of spasm and trapped gas.

#342053 - 02/13/09 09:05 AM
Syl

Reged: 03/13/05
Loc: SK, CANADA

Generally speaking only probiotics containing bifidobacterium such as VSL#3 and Align have been clinically shown to be effective for IBS. Probiotics containing lactobacillus while effective for other things are not effective for IBS. To the best of my knowledge no clinical trials of any significance have been done on Digestive Advantage.

From time to time I take a probiotic made by Natren called Life Start. It contains the same probiotic as Align (Bifidobacterium infantis) but a different strain. Another vendor of Bifidobacterium infantis is NSI. Both of these contain some skim milk but they are much less expensive than Align.

Here is a link to a message I posted on meta-analysis review of probiotics research and IBS.

--------------------
STABLE: ♂, IBS-D 50+ years - Science of IBS

The FODMAP Approach to Managing IBS Symptoms
Evidence-based Dietary Management of Functional GI Symptoms: The FODMAP Approach
FODMAP Chart & Cheatsheet
The Role of Food & Dietary Intervention in IBS

do a board search new
      #342090 - 02/13/09 06:46 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

for Digestive Advantage. Tons of people have used it. I haven't.
I use Nature Made women's multi vitamin plus additional cal/mag and D.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

Re: do a board search new
      #342095 - 02/13/09 07:47 PM
eagles20

Reged: 02/13/09
Loc: NJ/Philly area

I just ordered Heather's tummy fiber and peppermint caps. I am looking forward to getting them. Hopefully they will help.

--------------------
I suffer from anxiety, depression, IBS, and lactose intolerance. I think they are all related. If anyone has any suggestions or just want to talk, shoot me an email. I'd love to talk to people with similar symptoms, people who can understand what I am going through. I am also waiting for a kidney transplant. Thanks and God bless you all!

#342128 - 02/15/09 06:21 AM
Pennie

Reged: 11/24/08
Loc: South Carolina, US

The Digestive Advantage for IBS made my D worse ~ which at the time I didn't think it was possible.
My gastro doctor suggested Digestive Advantage for Crohn's & Colitis. It really has helped! I do not have Crohn's or Colitis but it works.

--------------------
IBS~D

#342295 - 02/18/09 12:41 PM
mrae

Does it help with the urgency or just the diarhhia itself?
---------------------
IBS-D, Diverticulosis

#342301 - 02/18/09 01:59 PM
birtha

I am interested in this too! I have actually been taking digestive advantage for IBS for almost 2 months and have not had any ill effects. just started taking heather's tummy fiber too.

#342357 - 02/19/09 04:14 PM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

Digestive Advantage is just a probiotic, and it should only help, not hurt. I actually haven't heard much feedback about this brand, which seems weird to me since they have a specific IBS variety.

Probiotics in general have good support for helping symptoms, and they are certainly something healthy for most people to take.

Digestive enzymes can't hurt, might help a bit but probably not much just because most folks with IBS don't have a problem with their digestive enzymes in the first place. These won't help calm the gastro-colic reflex triggered by eating.

I try to keep all the helpful over-the-counter supplement info for IBS on the site here http://www.helpforibs.com/supplements/

Probiotics and enzymes are both touched on there.

Best,
H

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 150 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3414

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review