All Boards >> Eating for IBS Diet Board

Posts     Flat       Threaded

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
gluten free bagles
      #341675 - 02/05/09 05:49 AM
steph312

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: Florida

Went to the health food store yesterday, spoke to the owner which recommended me to stop the gluten, so I bought some gluten free bagles. Oh my goodness .........taste so different than my good old ones, lol........so question what is some toppings you guys have put on yours that have made the taste more bareable, I also bought some of the bread, she told me to try this. Also some of the other things I'm eating have been making the ibs act up to. I have been living on pasta, white breads and white potatos, she told me to do the sweet potatos. The baked chicken and fish she said was good, but told me to stay away from the shrimp and scallops, which I always thought would be ok. Trying some rice milk too, always have done soy but I figured I would try the rice. The gluten free is something new to me, but I thought I would give it a try, also trying a new probiotic, a stronger strain one you take in am and one in pm, also a powder she gave to help with digestion, still doing souble fiber caps and the fish oil caps ( if I take one more pill I will be full and not have to eat, lol ). Don't think the bananas are going to work they always have hurt my tummy afterwards, she said to go easy on fruits and do the seed ones and granny smith apples, Just hate how I was doing so good for months and months and now here I am again . Maybe all she has given me and coming back and forth here will help, helps to know you guys are in this too.

sorry I rambled on, just so funny how this morning at work I was eating this bagle and thought oh my God, I want my other bagle back, ...........don't know if its the gluten but if it is that taste soooooo much better, so again what in the world can I put on this thing to make it taste better and not hurt my tummy.......thanks guys

Stephaine IBS-D with cramping and pains

Print     Remind Me     Notify Moderator    

Re: gluten free bagles new
      #341688 - 02/05/09 10:33 AM
Jordy

Reged: 08/12/06

what brand are you eating? I have yet to find bagels that aren't really high in fat.

You could put anything on them, really. Jam, light butter, tuna, hummus, Rice cream cheese if casein doesn't bother you, canned chicken....

What probiotic and "powder" are you taking? And also, what kind of SFS pills?

I hope the GF diet helps you. It's very restrictive and expensive. Most health food stores encourage people to eat GF because they can sell their products! But it can help some people. Hope you are one of them.

--------------------
IBS-C with pain and bloat

Re: Jordy new
      #341729 - 02/06/09 05:49 AM
steph312

Reged: 08/05/07
Loc: Florida

Hopefully I have all of this right, I'm at work and wrote it down last night : )
I'm taking a powder by the brand name RenewLife, called Intesti New, it supports healthy intestinal lining w/1-glutamine,N-acetyl, D-glucosamine, and Gamma Oryzanol. The SFP are called Yerba Prima, and the probiotic is Countrylife Daily-Dophilus am and pm complete probiotic system, the am has 3.5 billion live and 2.4 billion live, which the GI doctor told me would be good to stay on the probiotic because of the past history of C-Diff (too many antibiotics) caused that.
thanks for your reply.

Stephanie IBS-D with cramping and pain

Thanks, but new
      #341737 - 02/06/09 07:04 AM
Jordy

you never mentioned the brand of bagels that are safe!

--------------------

DONT go gluten free new
      #341755 - 02/06/09 01:34 PM
mcem222

Reged: 12/21/08

Hey
I assume now that you were diagnosed with IBS and not celiac. I had a dietitian who recommended I go on a gluten free diet. It was terrible; I couldn't eat so much, gluten free bread/substitutes are disgusting, and I became very constipated. Anyway, I called my gastroenterologist, and she said I was going in the wrong path

If you go on a gluten free diet, you cannot be tested for celiac disease. I don't know why you started going on a gluten free diet, but you should consult your doctor first.

Re: Jordy new
      #341768 - 02/06/09 07:37 PM
mrae

Reged: 02/05/09
Loc: California

I just read your post and was just wondering what are these medicines that you are taking and what exactly do they help? I am IBS-D and am looking for anything that works. I have started on the acacia fiber and am hoping to get some relieve.

Re: DONT go gluten free new
      #341769 - 02/06/09 08:23 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

Gluten free is the diet du jour and there is no evidence that it makes anyone healthier unless they have Celiacs. HFS commonly say everyone would feel better GF but it is just propaganda.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

You aren't alone!-nt new
      #341848 - 02/09/09 08:12 AM
Jordy

--------------------

#341850 - 02/09/09 08:16 AM
Jordy

Well, then they can sell all their expensive GF products and make a bunch of money.

It seems like the yeast free diet is catching on too. Not to mention the low fructose craze. So confusing on what to eat/ not eat. We just want to feel better.

Are you sure it only helps people who have celiac and not IBS? I have read where it has helped some with plain old IBS. Or, if you have tested positive for antibodies but don't have celiac.

LM, didn't you test positive for antibodies at one time and the diet didn't help you? Or am I remembering wrong?

--------------------

#341878 - 02/09/09 06:41 PM
Little Minnie

Reged: 04/16/04
Loc: Minnesota

I did test positive once. I was on something at the time and when retested and it was negative my GI doc said the first was wrong. I am not sure why the second wasn't wrong not the first, so I have done several G elims. The only time I felt better off G was when I was off pretty much everything else too (sugar, soy, chocolate, all additives etc).
I haven't seen anything that proves IBS is better without G. I have read otherwise.
But I think IBS is better if we eat nothing heavy or really caloric and if a person eats normal amounts of bread, especially bagels, it may lead to feeling yucky and thinking it is G. Sometimes it isn't the food itself but how it was eaten, how fast and how much.

--------------------
IBS-A for 20 years with terrible bloating and gas. On the diet since April 2004. Remember this from Heather's information pages:
"You absolutely must eat insoluble fiber foods, and as much as safely possible, but within the IBS dietary guidelines. Treat insoluble fiber foods with suitable caution, and you'll be able to enjoy a wide variety of them, in very healthy quantities, without problem." Please eat IF foods!

gluten free- no complex carbs new
      #341900 - 02/10/09 08:38 AM
yoffie

Reged: 08/01/07

my daughter has ibs-d for the past 3 -4 years. can't get rid of explosive D and bloating feeling. on a whim, we put her on a gluten free diet. D slowed down to twice a day from 5. nutrionist at GI said to cut complex carbs, sugar to one serving a day. i got that book about cutting all carbs out. she has not complained of bloating but at the moment may have a stomach bug. it has slowed down the D but not all the way. it is tiring. our hopes are to keep to this diet for a month and then slowly add back some carbs or gluten free carbs. she is also lactose intolerant which is a pain on that diet.

A nutritionist said to cut out complex carbs? That doesn't make sense... new
      #341909 - 02/10/09 11:18 AM
HeatherAdministrator

Reged: 12/09/02
Loc: Seattle, WA

That would mean eliminating all fruits and veggies, grains, beans, lentils, virtually everything except animal products. This would be seriously unhealthy.

Best,
Heather

--------------------
Heather is the Administrator of the IBS Message Boards. She is the author of Eating for IBS and The First Year: IBS, and the CEO of Heather's Tummy Care. Join her IBS Newsletter. Meet Heather on Facebook!

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 4836 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  Heather 

Print Thread

Permissions
      You cannot post until you login
      You cannot reply until you login
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3778

Jump to

| Privacy statement Help for IBS Home

UBB.threads™ 6.2

HelpForIBS.com BBB Business Review